Mystery Gene Harris 45 - Take a listen and vote!

Dan Gould

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Basic elements of the mystery:

No discographical reference to this recording exists -- Gene Harris Trio, I'm Beginning to See the Light/It Might as Well be Spring, Stereo Gems 124.

There were two Jubilee LP recordings by "The Gene Harris Trio", but neither of these tunes were on the records. "Our Love is Here To Stay" was identified by Gene Harris to his wife Janie as his first recording session. She presumes that "Genie in My Soul" from 1959 is also him, though my ears say its not. But then again, maybe the fact that a white guy is pictured on the back with a biographical sketch that is different from Gene's is actually a signal that Jubilee was issuing a recording that violated the group's contract with BN and they put the white guy on the back with the false bio so that Alfred wouldn't suspect anything? It could have been recorded previously and issued in 1959 when the group was putting out records on BN and Gene was getting a national reputation.

Anyway, that's the background. Now you get to hear both sides of the 45.

Edit to add: Now at true 45 RPMs and all cleaned up, too.

"I'm Beginning to See the Light":

http://www.divshare.com/download/15329602-92d

A little stiff to be Gene? There are definite moments that make me think it could be him though, particularly if its early in his career.

Edit to say: Holy bleep this sounds much more like Gene than the slowed-down version I mistakenly uploaded.

"It Might as Well be Spring":

http://www.divshare.com/download/15329687-960

I'll be the first to say there is not very much here to suggest that its Gene. But then again, the first Jubilee recording doesn't sound much like him either and he told his wife that it was him, so if this was recorded around the same time, maybe it is ...

Edit to say: At the right speed this sounds more like Gene, too.

MODS:

Apologies in advance if this full length 45 is too much music to share, please PM me and I will come up with an edit if that is OK, or convert the tracks to a link. God only knows who might own the "Stereo Gems" catalog and I doubt they are going to do anything anyway. I do believe this should fall under fair use as it is a question of discographical significance, and hardly different from blogs that post scratchy B-Sides of obscure 45s.

Edited by Dan Gould

I'm not the person to ask but it could be Gene. In any event thanks for sharing Dan.

Dan, thanks for these tracks. I'm also not the person to ask, but it really doesn't sound like Gene to me. If it is Gene, he's really young here... not a whole lot of that GH swagger on these tracks. But, as you say, if these tracks are from 1959 or earlier that may have been something he was still in the process of developing.

Part of me is definitely hoping this is Gene... it's always nice to hear of new finds!

Sounds like Harris with the speed just not right on the playback and/or recording.

Its worse than you even suspected! I discovered this morning that I actually transferred these at 33 RPM. :blush:

I'm not sure which was stupider, not noticing which toggle position is right for singles or the fact that I should have noticed that the recording is pretty short on the 45, so how come I got a 3 minute plus side on each?

Mea maxima culpa! Everyone who has interest please click the audio players above again. I've uploaded correct-speed versions, after I painstakingly removed the pops and clicks for maximum audio pleasure.

And all I can say is, I am far more inclined to say this is "the" Gene Harris after hearing these performances at the right speed. Hell, I listened again to the Our Love is Here to Stay recording on my Fresh Sound CD and ... this 45 sounds more like Gene than any track on the Jubilee LP.

Check for yourself and please post your impression or if you haven't voted yet, make your opinion known.

Sounds like Harris with the speed just not right on the playback and/or recording.

Its worse than you even suspected! I discovered this morning that I actually transferred these at 33 RPM. :blush:

I'm not sure which was stupider, not noticing which toggle position is right for singles or the fact that I should have noticed that the recording is pretty short on the 45, so how come I got a 3 minute plus side on each?

Sorry Dan, but this is an even more appropriate situation for this than the recent one...

Third_party_facepalm_RE_MotivationDepression-s750x600-132419.jpg

^_^

• 2 weeks later...