All There, Ever Out

Alexander Hawkins

Dear all,

I'm really pleased to say that I now have copies of my new Ensemble album, 'All There, Ever Out'...it's essentially the same line-up as our previous effort:

Javier Carmona, drums

Otto Fischer, guitar

Dominic Lash, double bass

Hannah Marshall, 'cello

Orphy Robinson, marimba

yours truly, piano, compositions

...the only differences being that on one track, I play Hammond B3; on a further track, we are joined by Kit Downes on Hammond; and that Orphy Robinson plays marimba here, rather than steel pans (purely a quirk of my programming choices - he played some lovely pans on the session - the tracks just didn't 'sit' in the sequence!).

As it's hot off the press, I'm afraid I can't tempt with any juicy quotes yet(!), but if you liked the first one, I hope you may even like this one more - I'm really delighted with how it turned out, and I feel the band identity comes through even stronger this time around...in the meantime, here are two tasters if you'd like to listen:

Ahab

and

Tatum Totem III

If anyone is interested in a copy, I have some I can sell at £10+pp.

Thanks for weathering the sales pitch...

p.s. I still have a small number of copies of the first album left too, so for interested parties, could do these on their own at £8+pp, or both for £18, to include pp.

Edited by Alexander Hawkins

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So - due to a slightly unlikely series of events, this album is actually officially only released this coming Monday, April 9th...so just upping this should anyone be curious!

We've recently had some very kind reviews. I believe we get 4 stars in the current Downbeat.

There's also this in The Guardian;

this in Jazzwise;

this in Point of Departure;

this in Ni Kantu;

this in the Jazzmann;

...and a few others I think!

There are copies available in various formats from the label...and I also have a handful!

Anyhow - plenty of samples available on the label's page there...so I hope it may appeal to at least some :)

• 3 weeks later...

Alexander - a famous legendary American saxophonist had some very nice things to say about you this past weekend.

Steve - wow, I'm flattered...could it have been Joe by any chance? I had the huge privilege of playing with him again last Sunday over in Berlin...as well as a master instrumentalist, genuinely one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of meeting!

The title sounds like a line from Beckett. Is it?

Pete - in fact, no, although now you say so, I can see that! It's not a phrase borrowed from anything as such...just a habit I have of starting with an idea, then toying around with the wording until it 'sits' a certain way, by way of titling things from time to time!

Although come to think of it, the title of the group's first record - 'no now is so' - is taken from someone else...

You're totally right - great guy. There's actually a new album from the quartet coming in late Autumn/early Winter...we don't do it often, but wow, I love playing with Joe!

Actually - would be interesting to hear him play duo with Han!

(Having said that, there aren't many people Joe wouldn't sound great with; or that Han wouldn't sound great with!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...