Where can I find photos of Rudy Van Gelder's studios?

medjuck

My son has been working in a recording studio recently, so I began to tell him about Rudy Van Gelder. I wanted to show him some photos of his studio (especially his parents' place in Hackensack because my some had done some recording in our living room). I'm sure I've seen some but I can't find them on-line. Anyone know where I might look?

My son has been working in a recording studio recently, so I began to tell him about Rudy Van Gelder. I wanted to show him some photos of his studio (especially his parents' place in Hackensack because my some had done some recording in our living room). I'm sure I've seen some but I can't find them on-line. Anyone know where I might look?

Hope the studio your son is working in has a better piano than van Gelder's. Maybe it's just me, but I often find the van Gelder piano sound a bit strange, esp. on recordings from the 80's and 90's. Not out of tune or unpleasant, but certainly not as strong as the piano sound from other studios. Fairly rapid right hand runs don't sound quite as crisp and distinct as on recordings from other studios. Almost an electric piano sound at times.

Edited by John Tapscott

Then study the photo with the beams added, that's even better. Just notice how the group & the mikes are positioned, where the sounds are aimed, and how the players played in relation to that.

What's going in is players pretty much mixing themselves in terms of group balance, and the room providing the basic character of the overall sound. Tweaks were made along the way, but the basic sound is the result of the players knowing how to play to that miking, Rudy knowing where to put the mikes, and everybody engaging the room rather than trying to work around it with individual close-miking & isolation booths, and all that. Not that there's anything wrong with all that, but all that won't get you that sound.

Study this closely, because this is how they did it:

abn4000%20115.jpg

That shot was altered to remove the beam structure of the studio - see the pic in Ubu's post.

Here's a 2nd shot of that band:

post-74-0-17147200-1311261700_thumb.jpg

Alas, if only Rudy would still record like this. All grouped together in the room with no headphones, no baffles, no drum booth....

Hope the studio your son is working in has a better piano than van Gelder's. Maybe it's just me, but I often find the van Gelder piano sound a bit strange, esp. on recordings from the 80's and 90's. Not out of tune or unpleasant, but certainly not as strong as the piano sound from other studios. Fairly rapid right hand runs don't sound quite as crisp and distinct as on recordings from other studios. Almost an electric piano sound at times.

I think there's a good chance it's the recording of the piano, and not the piano itself.

I think there's a good chance it's the recording of the piano, and not the piano itself.

You bring to mind a guy who could make a Hamburg Steinway sound like a Fisher-Price: Richard Alderson. IMO, had tin ears when it came to pianos...