A Lark Ascending

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this all about?

51CrcnP3BiL._SY450_.jpg

Now I'm a fully paid up Nick Drake admirer of many years standing. Love the 3 records, have a couple of non-album collections, the Humphries book, even one or two records of interpretations of Nick's songs (though I've never detoured on my way from Birmingham to Cheltenham to his grave).

It's called the 'Tuckbox' edition (some sort of Public School allusion).

• Five Leaves Left: Nick’s debut album of 1969
  • Bryter Layter: the second album released in 1970
  • Pink Moon: Nick’s final release from 1972
  • Made To Love Magic: the collection of Island-period recordings, out-takes, off cuts, cast-offs, orphans and the last 5 songs Nick recorded for his proposed 4th album. Originally released in 2004 to add to and replace the ‘Time Of No Reply’ compilation
  • Family Tree: A collection of recordings made before the Island Records period, from a 9 year old Nick playing Mozart through to spoken word pieces, early songs, cover versions and demos recorded to secure his contract, as well as two recordings by his mother Molly Drake perhaps written in response to her son. Originally released in 2007
  • Each CD comes complete in original sleeves with full booklets.
  • Original shop posters for each album
  • The package depicts Nick Drake’s own tuck box from his Marlborough College days, used to guard the various cakes dispatched weekly from his mother, Molly Drake.
  • The Tuck Box package and posters will be available separately, via brytermusic.com
  • Limited Edition

What is this all about?

51CrcnP3BiL._SY450_.jpg

Now I'm a fully paid up Nick Drake admirer of many years standing. Love the 3 records, have a couple of non-album collections, the Humphries book, even one or two records of interpretations of Nick's songs (though I've never detoured on my way from Birmingham to Cheltenham to his grave).

It's called the 'Tuckbox' edition (some sort of Public School allusion).

• Five Leaves Left: Nick’s debut album of 1969
  • Bryter Layter: the second album released in 1970
  • Pink Moon: Nick’s final release from 1972
  • Made To Love Magic: the collection of Island-period recordings, out-takes, off cuts, cast-offs, orphans and the last 5 songs Nick recorded for his proposed 4th album. Originally released in 2004 to add to and replace the ‘Time Of No Reply’ compilation
  • Family Tree: A collection of recordings made before the Island Records period, from a 9 year old Nick playing Mozart through to spoken word pieces, early songs, cover versions and demos recorded to secure his contract, as well as two recordings by his mother Molly Drake perhaps written in response to her son. Originally released in 2007
  • Each CD comes complete in original sleeves with full booklets.
  • Original shop posters for each album
  • The package depicts Nick Drake’s own tuck box from his Marlborough College days, used to guard the various cakes dispatched weekly from his mother, Molly Drake.
  • The Tuck Box package and posters will be available separately, via brytermusic.com
  • Limited Edition

It looks like it contains everything he ever recorded or demo-ed and looks a steal at £23. I already have the Island box so won't be bothering.

Yes, a fair price but it could have been cheaper without all the fripperies (no, he didn't play on any of the records).

Just thinking about the brick-a-brac that seems to be the standard pull-in of these sets to get the fan who has everything to buy it all again. Surprised there wasn't a recipe book for things like spotted dick, jam roly poly and bonfire toffee. A free cane for fagging? A Billy Bunter annual?

The 3 original discs + first oddities disc make a nice package and it's a good idea to include the original sleeves. The rest seems more like fluff, more related to the myth-making. But that's how they shift these things.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good boxed set as much as the next record obsessive. But I can't be doing with all the clutter.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Family Tree: A collection of recordings made before the Island Records period, from a 9 year old Nick playing Mozart ...

Really? I guess I should record my son doing silly songs on the off-chance that when he makes it big, I can flog this to the public. And maybe the early demos have some merit, but who benefits when nonsense like this is combined with said demos. Definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first 3 Led Zeppelin albums:

zep_11_vinyl_box.jpg

I like to get my LZ albums out for a drive every couple of years or so but...

Remastered album on CD in vinyl replica sleeve
Companion audio on CD in a new sleeve and on 180-gram vinyl (Led Zeppelin features a previously unreleased October 1969 concert from Paris, II & III feature previously unreleased studio outtakes)
Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve replicating the first pressing
High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit (Live tracks are 48kHz/24bit)
Hard bound, 70+ page book filled with rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia
High quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered
Led Zeppelin will also include a replica of the band's original Atlantic press kit

Is this what is keeping the record industry afloat?

At £90 a set even £50 Man will have to save up here.

There's tons of this stuff:

http://www.spincds.com/box-sets

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The first 3 Led Zeppelin albums:

zep_11_vinyl_box.jpg

I like to get my LZ albums out for a drive every couple of years or so but...

Remastered album on CD in vinyl replica sleeve

Companion audio on CD in a new sleeve and on 180-gram vinyl (Led Zeppelin features a previously unreleased October 1969 concert from Paris, II & III feature previously unreleased studio outtakes)

Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve replicating the first pressing

High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit (Live tracks are 48kHz/24bit)

Hard bound, 70+ page book filled with rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia

High quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered

Led Zeppelin will also include a replica of the band's original Atlantic press kit

Is this what is keeping the record industry afloat?

At £90 a set even £50 Man will have to save up here.

There's tons of this stuff:

http://www.spincds.com/box-sets

Yes, they are tapping the oil well that is the Steve Hoffman forum group.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...