More packaging "lunacy"

A Lark Ascending

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Side-Moon-Immersion-Boxset/dp/B004ZNARH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311597905&sr=8-1

Anyone who buys these deserves to have their voice added to the sound effects on the album!

Or for US customers:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Immersion-Box/dp/B004ZNARH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311598336&sr=8-1

A snip at $127.06

And it's only 2011. What on earth will they pull out of the hat for the 40th anniversary in 2013? A version actually remixed on the dark side of the moon! A version with enhanced, computer generated Syd Barrett vocals?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so it's packed as a gigantic smartphone?

417DA1nCcmL._SS500_.jpg

I'm waiting for the day when they'll invent the inversion box set... as soon as you open it, you'll be swallowed by the box set and turn invisble (like Calvin when he's wearing his cape)... you'll need a special gadget to be released again, if you lose it (or buy a Chinese counterfeit) you'll never find your way out again!

Oh, and shouldn't this be in the boxset bargain thread?

Oh look! That's not all:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZNACA6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06WPXBCNED7XYFJ9SAMY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Includes one of Dave Gilmour's plectrum's, perhaps?

And:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wish-Were-Here-Immersion-Boxset/dp/B004ZNAUVW/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_c

Personally, I'm saving up for the eagerly anticipated John Cage 4'33 boxset. Runs to about 200 discs, each one with a performance in one of the countries of the world, each in its own individual digi-pack sleeve. They've only just got the South Sudan disc in the can. Rumour has it they're waiting on Palestine.

I can't remember all the details, but aren't those really huge 'single-album' floyd sets like 6 or 7 discs long each? - and half of them DVD's?

Surely too expensive at $130, but if they ever come down to $90 or $100, they might be a lot more tempting.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Not just classic rock albums getting this kind of treatment.

There is a 25th anniversary edition of Megadeth's Peace Sells I just saw a few days ago, retail priced at $130! Who are they kidding with this crap?

Greedy record label cash-grabs like this makes me WANT to steal music, jokers are in charge.

so it's packed as a gigantic smartphone?

417DA1nCcmL._SS500_.jpg

I'm waiting for the day when they'll invent the inversion box set... as soon as you open it, you'll be swallowed by the box set and turn invisble (like Calvin when he's wearing his cape)... you'll need a special gadget to be released again, if you lose it (or buy a Chinese counterfeit) you'll never find your way out again!

umfall.gif

Even the late 70's pressings had the posters and stickers inside. I know, I had the posters on my bedroom wall and I'm pretty sure one of the stickers was on my stereo and the other on my lunchbox.

laugh.gif

Edited by Shawn

Strangely I can't remember the stickers.

In my memory I bought DSoTM and King Crimson's 'Lark's Tongues in Aspic' in the same week (a huge outlay in those days for a 17 year old on pocket money!). But Wikipedia says the first came out on 1st March, the second on 23rd. Given how eagerly I was awaiting LTiA (I'd seen the band the previous November and made a second visit sometime during March) I can't imagine I'd have waited!

Oh yes!

Not sure where I stuck those. On an LP case, I suspect.

2207766896574040_1.jpg

When I was going to see my parents in Germany during university holidays I used to carry one of these, stuffed with as many albums as possible, on the ferry going over and back. The case in my other hand had about two shirts, a change of underwear and a pair of jeans.

The iPod generation just don't know how lucky they are!

These immersion sets are a bit crazy, but a nice byproduct of this craziness is the fact that the entire "floyd" catalog is being remastered and will be available as single disc releases. I'd like to pick up new remasters of Animals, Wish You Were Here, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle.

These immersion sets are a bit crazy, but a nice byproduct of this craziness is the fact that the entire "floyd" catalog is being remastered and will be available as single disc releases. I'd like to pick up new remasters of Animals, Wish You Were Here, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle.

All the Capitols & Columbia releases have been remastered at least once. Not counting MFSL, Japanese issues, box sets, etc. They'd have to do some heavy improving for me to buy this stuff yet again.

Although 200gram vinyl reissues might do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see what the problem is. Pink Floyd was known for their packaging and artwork. It fits, really. And it sure as hell beats a download!

As I recall they were primarily known for their music which was distinctive and different from other bands of the time (and, to my ears at least, music that still repays listening to whether for pure enjoyment or nostalgic reasons).

They also had distinctive sleeves. I'm not sure all the extra gimmicks began until around '73.

Clearly there isn't an actual problem - as with the endless Miles repackaging the marketing people have clearly done their work and decided they can resell this by the bucketload in new packaging with 'extra material' and a promised sonic upgrade.

I'm just a bit dubious that this is much more than a way of EMI (or whoever owns them) realising its assets.

I'd be interested in hearing one or two live shows from the pre DSotM days (I recall hearing a radio broadcast of some of Meddle just before the album release - be interesting to hear that). But not interested enough to pay a fortune for a bunch of alternative mixes and outtakes alongside.

I've still never heard 'Animals' and will probably get that...but as a download!

[i'm not purist on this - have been picking up the King Crimson 40th Anniversary sets as earlier releases were a bit flat soundwise. The Pink Floyd CDs I have sound fine.)