The 70s Twofer Jazz Reissue LP

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an unusual Art Pepper two for in Japan recently called "Early Art" on Blue Note. What surprised me was as far as I know Art was never on Blue Note, and these tracks are early tracks.

I can't seem to find my Art Pepper two-fer now but I think it consists of the same material as two Blue Note Art Pepper CDs:

1) THE RETURN OF ART PEPPER: The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings, Vol. 1

2) MODERN ART: The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings, Vol. 2

They are not Blue Note recordings, per se, but apparently Blue Note acquired the licensing rights.

There is a Blue Note LP, OMEGA ALPHA, LT-1064, which has some additional Pepper Aladdin recordings not on the CDs.

See my reply above (post #19) which gives the reply in a nutshell.

Blue Note never acquired any licensing rights, it's just that Blue Note and Aladdin ended up under the same company roof so whoever did the reissues had access to multiple labels' material. ;)

These things - artist and label samplers and compilations - were hugely popular in the shops I patronized while builing my collection, and, in the case of the artist collections, were usually much cheaper than picking up the two, corresponding orignal LPs. As a result, I'm guessing I have 200 of them. The "Black California"s remain particularly memorable, as well as "I Remember Bebop" (Columbia) and "Brothers and Other Mothers" covering pianists and Lester Young-inspired tenor players, respectively, if memory serves.

Some favorites that I kept for sentimental reasons...

Not for musical reasons?

I happen to have had the same music in other forms (individual LP's and CD's) since. I haven't played an LP in years, in fact my turntables both died quite awhile ago. It's also been quite awhile since I spun a CD. I listen primarily via MP3 now.

So no, not for musical reasons. For sentimental reasons, as I said.

Some favorites that I kept for sentimental reasons...

Not for musical reasons?

I happen to have had the same music in other forms (individual LP's and CD's) since. I haven't played an LP in years, in fact my turntables both died quite awhile ago. It's also been quite awhile since I spun a CD. I listen primarily via MP3 now.

So no, not for musical reasons. For sentimental reasons, as I said.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. A digital traitor! ;)

I've still got lots, have maaany I never re-bought in any form, and still play some of them even if I have other formats. A lot of them are RVG remasters and sound just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of these were my entry point to earlier jazz from around '77 onwards - lots of the Miles and Evans ones, several Verves (including the Ella songbooks), Monk, Rollins etc. Gil Evans, Lee Konitz and Mingus via the Blue Note series.

The extensive liners could be very helpful when written historically to contextualise the music - when you knew virtually nothing about jazz that helped you find your way a bit.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I'm quite impressed I managed to get my sock into the photo as well.

So was this ever released on Impulse? I have read the history of Blue Note's various owners, but I have no idea of Impulse's history.

The Sonny Criss date was originally "Sonny Criss at the Crossroads" on Peacock. The Kenny Dorham was originally "Kenny Dorham and the Jazz Prophets Vol. 1" on ABC-Paramount (Vol. 2 was never released and the tapes cannot be located). In 1978, ABC (which also owned Impulse) released the two in the Dedication series. Right after release, all the labels ABC owned were purchased by MCA.

034529.jpg

29255646.jpg

Edited by mjzee

I'm quite impressed I managed to get my sock into the photo as well.

So was this ever released on Impulse? I have read the history of Blue Note's various owners, but I have no idea of Impulse's history.

The Sonny Criss date was originally "Sonny Criss at the Crossroads" on Peacock. The Kenny Dorham was originally "Kenny Dorham and the Jazz Prophets Vol. 1" on ABC-Paramount (Vol. 2 was never released and the tapes cannot be located). In 1978, ABC (which also owned Impulse) released the two in the Dedication series. Right after release, all the labels ABC owned were purchased by MCA.

...which was subsequently swallowed by Universal.

Impulse! history according to Wikipedia

Edited by J.A.W.

I think mjzee mentioned this one in his list, I managed to pick this great two for one recently for £5

IMG-20110820-00416.jpg

Great sound an apparently Michael Cuscana was responsible for this bargin

One of those dreadful, artificially "updated" 70s covers that invariably put you off if you were out for substantially more "vintage" jazz and just got lost in the flood of items that hit the market in those years.

I am pretty sure I have seen this set (or others from that serieS) but it just did not click with me when browsing through record stacks so I did not even bother to check the discog details.

Seeing what was on this twofer I'd likely have snapped it up if it hadn't looked so horribly "70s funky-ish" (so you did not even imagine there'd be classy 50s stuff on it, especialy since the Impulse logo immediately made you think "cannot be older than early 60s" which by and large was a bit too recent for my PRIME jazz buying targets in my young days ;))).

I picked up the Peacock Crossroads LP by Sonny Criss quite a while later when it was reissud in FACSIMILE form by Fresh Sound but somehow never managed to grab the Kenny Dorham album on vinyl.

I have far too many to pick out favorites or try to summarize, but suffice to say that the twofers were an incalcuable part of my early jazz education in the '70s, along with the Blue Note cutouts -- the music, the liner notes, everything. Miles' "Workin' and Steamin'" was the first twofer I remember owning at 12. I remember early on learning to distinguish between "samplers" and those that were more actually comprised of complete LP reissues. For a long time, the twofer value was unbeatable.

Re: Jackie McLean's "Hipnosis" that mjzee mentioned some posts back -- that first record with KD, Clark, Warren, Higgins was the record that made me fall in love with Jackie. It meant so much to me that I eventually transcribed almost all of the tunes to play with my group in college.

Re: "seeds" from the past popping up here and there. I can relate ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 4 weeks later...

The first two jazz albums I ever bought were Blue Note twofers, Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse and The Best of Herbie Hancock. Only $1 more than single albums. The first albums I bought by Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Clfford Brown, Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, Yusef Lateef and many other giants were those twofers that Fantasy put out in the early 70's.

617e-I7ENfL._SL500_.jpg

31oQa8%2BAp%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• 1 year later...

And Savoy... I'm still looking for a replacement copy of Sammy Price's "Rib Joint."

A random search today on Amazon revealed that Savoy just "released" on mp3 the Sammy Price "Rib Joint" package. Greeeeeeezzzzy!!! Finally!

A random search! How the hell anybody is supposed to know about these various mp3-only reissues that trickle out from everywhere i don't know.

I'll list other things I don't know or am unsure of in a separate thread.

Kinda random. I had the LP and sold it years ago, but I had put 2 songs on a compilation tape. I'm transferring that tape now to mp3, and looked (as I do occasionally) to see if it's available: as a download, a foreign reissue, or whatever. Prior searches came up with nothing, so I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see it available. Per Amazon, the mp3 release date was August 6, 2013.