Lloyd McNeill - Asha and now Washington Suite released on CD !

felser

And 'Elegia' comes out next month.  Now we just need 'Tori', hoping maybe they'll do that one in September.  'Treasures' is a wonderful album, especially the awesome "Griot", where Cecil McBee is amazing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, felser said:

And 'Elegia' comes out next month.  Now we just need 'Tori', hoping maybe they'll do that one in September.  'Treasures' is a wonderful album, especially the awesome "Griot", where Cecil McBee is amazing.

Damn, that's nice!!  The only Lloyd McNeill I have is Washington Suite (on CD), but I suppose I really ought to consider getting some more then.

44 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Damn, that's nice!!  The only Lloyd McNeill I have is Washington Suite (on CD), but I suppose I really ought to consider getting some more then.

Start with 'Asha' and then 'Treasures'.  That will give you the prime work.  And hope for 'Tori'.

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out I have a download of Tori on some hard drive. I'll get a a copy of a future CD reissue, anyway.

This is a 1997 CD of improvised duets with pianist Richard Kimball. They never get atonal, stay free of clichés and superficial free music patterns, still make an impression of totally free improvisation. Recommended. But hard to find .....

R-7574714-1444346627-9583.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Lloyd-McNeill-Richard-Kimball-XTemPorE/release/7574714

On 7/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, mikeweil said:

Turns out I have a download of Tori on some hard drive. I'll get a a copy of a future CD reissue, anyway.

This is a 1997 CD of improvised duets with pianist Richard Kimball. They never get atonal, stay free of clichés and superficial free music patterns, still make an impression of totally free improvisation. Recommended. But hard to find .....

R-7574714-1444346627-9583.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Lloyd-McNeill-Richard-Kimball-XTemPorE/release/7574714

I picked it up very recently, have not listened yet.  Not expensive or hard to find in USA.  $9.99 on Amazon Prime.  Looks like Elegia release has been postponed to September 20.  And I do hope Tori makes it to CD in these reissues.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Late said:

Just discovered McNeill, purchased Treasures, and have Washington Suite on the way. Really enjoying the former, especially Cecil McBee's playing. Asha will likely be next. 

:tup:tup:tup

Asha is the pick of the litter, although all three are outstanding.  He also has had outstanding careers as a painter and photographer and professor.

On 11/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, felser said:

Asha is the pick of the litter ...

Listening to it right now ... for THE FIRST TIME!!! Man, what fine music. I'll be spinning this for a while.

Weird that I discovered McNeill before discovering this thread, but it all worked out in the end. Somewhat mystifying that such a talent could be so deep under the radar.

2 hours ago, Late said:

Listening to it right now ... for THE FIRST TIME!!! Man, what fine music. I'll be spinning this for a while.

Weird that I discovered McNeill before discovering this thread, but it all worked out in the end. Somewhat mystifying that such a talent could be so deep under the radar.

Agreed, though he was/is a true renaissance man, with many talents (art - he studied with Picasso, photography, education)

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I don't think you'll be disappointed!  Fascinating artist in general.

Agreed, and those are his three best albums (though Tori is also essential, and you'll want Elegia).