USB turntables

Hardbopjazz

I have a Numark UBS turntable, and it works fine for digitizing. Not quite CD quality sound, it always seems to record at levels a little lower than I'd like. Any attempt to adjust said levels results in noise.

A friend who is a DJ has pro-style turntables and a stand-alone CD burner, and his system produces a higher quality CD.

I have a Numark UBS turntable, and it works fine for digitizing. Not quite CD quality sound, it always seems to record at levels a little lower than I'd like. Any attempt to adjust said levels results in noise.

A friend who is a DJ has pro-style turntables and a stand-alone CD burner, and his system produces a higher quality CD.

Kind of a stupid question, but USB turn tables are supposed to work without pre-amps, right? I know my regular turn-table can't be used for recording unless I put a pre-amp in "the chain." I wonder if there is a USB-compatible pre-amp. Maybe a good business opportunity...

I have one of these and I've used is successfully several times to digitalize LP's. They're fine for what they are and if you're just moving the conversions to iTunes, the sound is about what you'd expect i.e. approximately mp3 quality. Needless to say, if you're working with unkempt vinyl, all the scratches, pops and clicks will be picked up and transferred along with the music. The deck I have has some enhancements and editing functions, but I'm not nearly smart or curious enough to find out how they work.

ejp626 - mine works without a pre-amp.

Well, I guess USB turntables are not what I am after. I don't want to have poor sound. I do want to listen to my LPs. I just only see stores selling USB turntables today. I'll have to look on ebay for a turntable.

There isn't a stereo store in town with used equipment? A place like this: http://www.yelp.com/biz/saturday-audio-exchange-chicago

or this: http://www.decibel.com/ ?

Decibel does ship, and I would trust them way more than a random ebay store. While they make their money from DJ equipment, they do sell used turntables for people like us. I got a decent turntable from them for under $400.

I would not go to BestBuy or the like. They only have one or two turntables brands in stock and they likely play at the wrong speed. That was certainly my experience.

Edited by ejp626

Well, I guess USB turntables are not what I am after. I don't want to have poor sound. I do want to listen to my LPs. I just only see stores selling USB turntables today. I'll have to look on ebay for a turntable.

There isn't a stereo store in town with used equipment? A place like this: http://www.yelp.com/biz/saturday-audio-exchange-chicago

or this: http://www.decibel.com/ ?

Decibel does ship, and I would trust them way more than a random ebay store. While they make their money from DJ equipment, they do sell used turntables for people like us. I got a decent turntable from them for under $400.

I would not go to BestBuy or the like. They only have one or two turntables brands in stock and they likely play at the wrong speed. That was certainly my experience.

I did go to Best Buy and they only had two USB turntables.

Pro-Ject, Music Hall and Denon all make decent USB-equipped turntables. Of these three, I would look at the Music Hall first, Pro-Ject second and Denon last, mainly because from what I can tell, Denon's USB output port is limited to lower bit rate CBR mp3. Stupid move if you ask me.

If you want to move up the chain and still want USB capability, you could always get one of the Pro-Ject, Music Hall (and others) phono pre-amp with a USB output. They're only about $50 more than the ones without USB.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

If you are working with a pc the best deal is (as I have said many times before) this but you need a working tt.

This looks great, but I'm not sure if it works with a Mac. I emailed the company to find out.

It does not work with a Mac. That's one reason I keep a Windows machine around.

Chuck, it looks very interesting to me, for my own 'domestic' purposes, so I'll likely get one. But I asked a friend-in-the-recording biz about it, and he says:

Record players need an RIAA preamp. While there may be record players that do have a preamp built in, so they may be connected to an aux input, this is by no means certain. The opening lines presented here could lead the non-suspecting buyer to believe that a record player, since it has Stereo RCA outputs, could be used to record from. Only in the small print at the bottom they mention the fact that one cannot record directly from a record player. [i think he means, in this case, a turntable.].

Audio signals in the ‘household RCA connected audio domain’ usually run at –10dB or around 250 mV. This thing comes with 30ft of unbalanced cable and at –10dB one has to wonder what’s left, or more accurately how much hum, distortion et al has been added to the original signal?

I watched the accompanying video and it appears that the whole thing is nothing but a (cheap) soundcard with audio editor with some hum/click/noise removal tool added. Features like fading, panning, mixing and a host of other things that make digital editing so much more versatile than analog are not available.

It’s also telling that the specs of this thing only indicate how it relates to the computer, the max./min/ levels, S/N ratio, crosstalk and other audio related data is nowhere to be found.

If music is something you only use to bob your head up and down to, (regardless whether it comes at you from a very good stereo or a set of ‘two dollar ear plugs’) because it feels and sounds better than the rest of the stuff the world whispers/screams into your ears, then this device is probably OK.

If you care about ins, outs, ‘air’ in between, dynamic range, etc., then you’ll probably end up disappointed.

I suspect he's being a bit of a snob about this, given his investment in his own gear, but might he have a point?

He's at least a snob. I have used it for a few years and love it. Someone misunderstands how this works. It is not direct from the turntable - connect it to the out terminals of your amp. I really don't think he investigated the product.

If you want an example, I can send one.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you are working with a pc the best deal is (as I have said many times before) this but you need a working tt.

I just bought a slightly different version. I've only copied one LP so far but it worked pretty easy and for my 63 year old ears and needs I think the copy sounds pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by NIS

I just bought a slightly different version. I've only copied one LP so far but it worked pretty easy and for my 63 year old ears and needs I think the copy sounds pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendation.

That TWO satisfied customers, Chuck.

I bought one on your recommendation quite a few years ago and have been very satisfied with the results. Thanks again.