Mosaic end of August sale

I sprang for the Hampton - mainly because of the Ellingtonians featured direct from the original metal parts!

The Hampton is very enjoyable if you like pre-WWII jazz. Lots of Ellingtonians; Hodges, Cootie Williams, Webster and Harry Carney. There's also a session with a young Dizzy with Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Chu Berry and Benny Carter. The sound quality is TOP NOTCH (I don't think I've heard a better Mosaic set of this period.

Also, later in the set there is a session with Marshal Royal, Ray Perry, etc. that is swingin' Lots of good stuff, and as I said, if you like 30s-40s small group jazz with vocals, you'll love this set.

It's a steal at this price.

I'll probably be getting the Jazz Crusaders box, I've got the Hampton and Turrentine boxes which are GREAT! Of course, I don't have the Charlie Parker boxed set yet, and maybe I'll finally get around to ordering that too. NOTHING LIKE A MOSAIC SALE!!!

It is really beyond me how come that Stanley Turrentine's set is still available.

The continuous availability of the Hank Mobley set (not part of this sale, by the way) is even more remarkable.

Yes, I wish I understood exactly what kind of license they have (no time limit, only quantity?) and why they can't produce more of the LP version.

It is really beyond me how come that Stanley Turrentine's set is still available.

The continuous availability of the Hank Mobley set (not part of this sale, by the way) is even more remarkable.

Yes, I wish I understood exactly what kind of license they have (no time limit, only quantity?) and why they can't produce more of the LP version.

They'd probably explain it to you if you wrote them. They're pretty good about responding to emails.

gregmo

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered the Hampton and Lunceford sets! :rolleyes:

...which arrived today...

#127 for the Luncerford and #4816 (!) for the Hampton set!

Those are two GREAT sets! #4816, that means the Hampton might be moving to the "Running Low" category soon....Get it while you can everybody! I was ASTOUNDED with the sound quality on this set, and the music is very enjoyable. Some of the best uptempo Hodges playing I've heard. Also, you can't beat a horn section of Benny Carter, Chu Berry, Coleman Hawkins and Dizzy!!!

Just ordered the Hampton and Lunceford sets! :rolleyes:

...which arrived today...

#127 for the Luncerford and #4816 (!) for the Hampton set!

Those are two GREAT sets! #4816, that means the Hampton might be moving to the "Running Low" category soon....Get it while you can everybody! I was ASTOUNDED with the sound quality on this set, and the music is very enjoyable. Some of the best uptempo Hodges playing I've heard. Also, you can't beat a horn section of Benny Carter, Chu Berry, Coleman Hawkins and Dizzy!!!

Me too. The Hampton set sounds amazing! And I went directly to these Dizzy (w./ Charlie Christian) tracks. Fabulous!

Edited by Alexandros