Arthur Rubinstein - The Complete Album Collection

crisp

thanks for the head's up, crisp-- this was predicted/hoped for but we weren't sure it'd actually HAPPEN. I'm sure like most here i couldn't afford the big Artie box (chest!) when it came out...

in related news, it appears the fast-disappearing Bernstein Symphony Edition might be coming back-- both Jpc.de and amazon.de have it listed for September 9 tho' in typical major label idiocy fashion, good luck finding that info out elsewhere (wouldn't want to build excitement or anything).

http://http://www.amazon.de/Bernstein-Symphony-Leonard/dp/B003Z9Q4WG

lastly, on the EMI side, anyone even thinking of the astounding Gyorgy Cziffra set should grab it if/when they can because that seems to be gone.

Edited by MomsMobley

in typical major label idiocy fashion, good luck finding that info out elsewhere (wouldn't want to build excitement or anything)

Tell me about it. There's a perception that nothing gets released, whereas in fact quite a lot of good stuff comes out. Yet the labels themselves never bother to promote them. I usually find out about releases by doing a label or series search on Amazon then post anything I find on here, but it's still hard to get some info. To this day the only place I've found that has a track listing on the Heifetz box is this obscure site. The next batch of CTI discs from Masterworks isn't even on the Masterworks site. It's like the record industry *wants* to die.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I ordered this set from amazon.de for a total of 226 dollars, and it arrived in four days!

Beautiful set. I'm listening to the very earliest material, from 1928 on and I find the restoration and mastering excellent.

Notes in the booklet about sound: "This edition also boasts the finest sound quality ever bestowed on Arthur Rubinstein's complete recordings. The masters for the principal works in the collection come from the series of Living Stereo SACDs and Japanese XRCDs. All the other recordings are based on masters from the Rubinstein Collection of 1999, technically and sonically refurbished for this edition. In cases where the desired results could not be obtained, Sony Classical has gone back to the original analogue tapes."

The set opens with 14 packed cds of the earliest material, recorded for HMV in London which would be the EMI recordings, correct? The notes say that they were all 78s and EPs and never reissued on LP. Great great music to savor the next year and beyond.

Edited by jazzbo

The set opens with 14 packed cds of the earliest material, recorded for HMV in London which would be the EMI recordings, correct? The notes say that they were all 78s and EPs and never reissued on LP. Great great music to savor the next year and beyond.

Most/probably all of the EMI stuff has been reissued on lp and cd. I've had much of it for 40 years. The previous RCA/BMG set had this stuff and smaller chunks have been on EMI cds.

This is really a strong selling point, for me at least:

Notes in the booklet about sound: "This edition also boasts the finest sound quality ever bestowed on Arthur Rubinstein's complete recordings. The masters for the principal works in the collection come from the series of Living Stereo SACDs and Japanese XRCDs. All the other recordings are based on masters from the Rubinstein Collection of 1999, technically and sonically refurbished for this edition. In cases where the desired results could not be obtained, Sony Classical has gone back to the original analogue tapes."

Have to give this one serious consideration.

Most/probably all of the EMI stuff has been reissued on lp and cd. I've had much of it for 40 years. The previous RCA/BMG set had this stuff and smaller chunks have been on EMI cds.

Thanks for the info Chuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to pick up the Rubinstein and Berstein from the post office, man these are huge motherfuckers, The plastic bag that I had got ripped off so I had to carry these thing in my arms for a 15 minutes walk at -9 F weather with windchill. Fortunately the music will be worth it. Not recommended if you live in a small place.

Edited by Van Basten II

Had to pick up the Rubinstein and Berstein from the post office, man these are huge motherfuckers, The plastic bag that I had got ripped off so I had to carry these thing in my arms for a 15 minutes walk at -9 F weather with windchill. Fortunately the music will be worth it. Not recommended if you live in a small place.

Sounds like the good ol' Montreal Winter weather is kicking in. Brrr ! Enjoy the music, sounds great !

Do they still have those postal stations with lockers where you have to collect everything from? Extremely inconvenient, from my own recollection.

Edited by sidewinder

Postal office in my neighborhood is in a drugstore, you show a few id cards with the shipping notice and they bring it up to the counter, rather efficient actually. Ideally you need someone at home to receive the package but it is still a nice alternative better than UPS. Weatherwise these are the first "real" winter days we had. For the most part weather was over the chilling point with about no snow.

Edited by Van Basten II

• 2 years later...

Anyone have any thoughts about the Rubinstein Icon box featuring his early Chopin recordings. The bits and pieces I've heard are great, but I've read reviewers who say that his later RCA recordings are a better bet. Thanks in advance.

https://www.google.com/#q=arthur+rubinstein+icon&facrc=_&imgrc=ic5ooWnU3WhU0M%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fecx.images-amazon.com%252Fimages%252FI%252F61hD9anAHvL._SY300_.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.amazon.com%252FIcon-Chopin-Recordings-Artur-Rubinstein%252Fdp%252FB0032700TY%3B300%3B300