ClarenceGene Shaw on Argo

medjuck

I've never come across any one of the 3 records (Clarence) Gene Shaw did for Argo. He was called Clarence Shaw on some great recordings with Mingus in 1957 then after a 5 year lay-off did 3 records as leader under the name Gene Shaw . After that I don't know what happened. Sure like to see them released on cd but would be happy to buy/trade for them on Lp.

Ditto for any Billy Butterfield Lp with Gil Evan's arrangement of Singin' the Blues.

Does anyone know if Sherman Morrison, the tenor player, was ever recorded again after BREAKTHROUGH? He had a bit of a Coltrane-thing going on...

The Tom Lord discography lists that Gene Shaw album as the only recorded appearance for Sherman Morrison.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I suspected. Too bad as he seemed like an interesting player...

Does the Lord discography show any other Gene Shaw recorded appearances, other than Tiajuana Moods, East Coasting, A Modern Jazz Symposium..., all with Mingus, the unreleased session with Shaft Hadi and Pepper Adams included in the Mingus Debut box, and the three Argo session?