Magnitude 5.8 earthquake shakes Virginia, D.C. and New York

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt it (slightly) here in Atlanta, but didn't recognize it for what it was until I saw the news on CNN.com. I've never been in an earthquake, really, so I didn't understand why my chair was vibrating. I kept looking around to see if one of my cats was pawing the chair.

Michael (and everyone else, I hope), I'm glad everything is okay.

My brother works in DC, near the Pentagon, said other buildings were evacuating but not his. Other brother in Harrisburg felt it strongly, lives in an massive stone and iron and steel building and said it shook and swayed.

And now y'all get to look forward to a hurricane on Sunday, while those of us in Florida enjoy some sunshine. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

I was home in our apartment here in DC (Columbia Heights) when it hit, and our building shook one heck of a lot. Seemed like 30-45 seconds in all, but I suspect it was shorter. I'm surprized nothing fell off the shelves, as much as everything shook. Our car ran under the bed, and wouldn't come out for almost 2 hours.

Not something I was expecting when I moved to the east coast, to put it mildly.

Rookies. :P

Amazing that the effects were felt over such a wide area and over the Appalachians. I guess the tectonics work very differently when it's not a straightforward junction between plates.

from an NPR story:

East Coast earthquakes are typically felt in a wider area than those in California. That's because the Earth's crust is more solid in the East, and it carries seismic waves better than in the more fractured West Coast crust.

I felt a brief and mild earthquake in York, PA, ca. 1983. I was standing at the time, and felt the tremble pass under one foot and then the other.

Today in Raleigh I felt nothing. I heard on the national news that they felt it in Wilmington, so I'm surprised that we didn't get anything here.