Health care in Canada?

I think you're not covered right away. But even if you're not, you can buy private insurance and even then I think it's a lot cheaper than in the US. (BTW it's not entirely free depending on what province you're in. Sort of like Medicare.)

Yes, there is roughly a 3 month waiting period, but there is very cheap private insurance, as you say. I was thinking of the bigger picture. And indeed some procedures are not covered, nor is dental (in some provinces), so there is supplemental insurance.

Dental treatment in Canada can work out pretty expensive for major treatment - although many employers have schemes in which 90% or thereabouts of costs, up to a limit, are covered for 'permies'.

My experience of using the medic and hospital system was that it was broadly similar to the UK NHS. Once you have a social insurance card/number, the system kicks in.

Edited by sidewinder

Is it easy for a US citizen to emigrate to Canada?

My impression (vague, I haven't researched the matter) is that there are pretty strict work permit issues.

It varies. If you are a high net-worth individual, you can essentially buy a Canadian passport for a $800K interest-free loan. Obviously, anyone in this category isn't that worried about health care access.

Here is the starting point: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

The best option is to get a job offer in a skilled worker category*; second-best is to go through the skilled worker lottery.

A somewhat roundabout way to do it is to get a 2-year Master's degree (or a PhD is better) in a Canadian university. Then in several (most?) provinces, you can apply to stay on.

It is important to realize that immigration policy does vary a bit by province/territory and it may be easier to get into the more rural areas.

* Within this, there are certain professional categories that are considered NAFTA-waiver categories and in these cases, the employer does not need to show they did a broad search and there were no Canadians qualified for the positions, which used to be a bit of a sticking point. This is essentially the reason I qualify...

It is extremely easy for people to immigrate to Canada. A former co-worker went to university at Wayne State in Detroit, lived in Windsor, ON, maintained his Canadian residence while he finished his PhD and then his post-doc at American universities. He applied for Canadian citizenship as soon as he could (I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was somewhere around 3, 4 years) and he got it without ever having worked or having a job offer in Canada, or even attending a Canadian school. Ridiculous.

The health care system is not free- you don't pay at the point of service, but you pay in other ways, such as higher taxes, lower wages on average than in America, and much, MUCH longer wait times. And, you still pay for dental, and at least in NB, prescription drugs are more expensive than what I pay here.

The health care system is not free- you don't pay at the point of service, but you pay in other ways, such as higher taxes, lower wages on average than in America, and much, MUCH longer wait times. And, you still pay for dental, and at least in NB, prescription drugs are more expensive than what I pay here.

Thanks, Greg. (1) Does the Canadian system provide health care for all citizens? (2) Do the higher taxes cost the citizen more or less money than the private insurance companies charge in the U.S.? (3) Does the Canadian system refuse to pay this or that doctor's charges, the way U.S. private insurance companies do (seemingly at random)?