UK Record Shop Nostalgia

Jazzjet

The Swing shop wasn't easy for me to get too. But I bought Ornette Coleman at The Golden Circle Vol 2 and the Heliocentric Worlds Vol 2 by Sun Ra there. So it was always worth a visit.

On one visit there I saw Stan Tracey nearby walking a very small Clark home, I guess, from school.

It never occurred to me to take photos of the shops I regular visited - would have seemed like bus spotting! But I wish I had now!

Quite fun looking on Google Earth to see what is there now.

Here are a couple of random ones from the net:

2613.jpg

Not so much Sputnik as CSE Woodwork project!

raysjazz.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

It never occurred to me to take photos of the shops I regular visited - would have seemed like bus spotting! But I wish I had now!

2613.jpg

raysjazz.jpg

Mouldy figs to the fore, I see! :smirk:

2613.jpg

raysjazz.jpg

Great photo of Ray's, Bev.

'From Barry Harris to Harry Barris' as it said in the window.

both those materials pretty resistant to my attempts to make anything of them in both woodwork and metalwork classes, so I'm not sure that isn't a good name :)

I joined a school in Yr 8 (2nd Year then) where everyone has 18 months of woodwork behind them and I had none. The teacher made me make a bread board. Every week I'd spend 80 minutes planing the breadboard and bring it for inspection. "Nah,' he'd say looking at his set square, "It's not level yet." I did this for a term and a half and ended with a bread board the size of a cheese board for nouvelle cuisine.

And the bugger had the nerve to charge me for it!

The good old days of the grammar school when standards were maintained!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 1 year later...

I just spent some time in the very well-stocked CD stores of the bookseller Gibert Joseph in Paris - as well as time in some of the great Paris bookstores - and I was reminded once again what a fine thing the record store can be. The Joseph store had racks of Japanese imports and lots of current titles. Fancy prices, maybe, but lots of customers and a sense that people still actually cared. So maybe the return of HMV to Oxford Street is a good thing, though whether it would replace the jazz and classical stocks in foyles bookstore for me personally is a moot point.