Blue Note Conns from 1998..

street singer

Was going over the list of Connoisseur releases, checking off the ones I have and lamenting over the ones I don't have, and I noticed something odd. Back in 1998, Blue Note apparently released THIRTY CD's in this series - is this correct? I wasn't following the series in '98, or even listening to jazz for that matter, so I have no way of verifying this. That just seems pretty incredible to me since they've only released 6 per year for the past few years. Was there a reason so many were released that year? Any chance we'll see that many (or even half that many) released in a year's time in the near future?

1998. 30 Connoisseur re-issues. Wow... What a year that must've been!

There were 18 Connoisseur releases in 1998 nominally. But there were also 12 West Coast Classics releases, which were limited editions too, but drawn from the Pacific Jazz catalogue instead. So if you count them together there were 30 limited edition releases that year.

The excellent West Coast Classics series was unfortunately shortlived, due to bad sales. There are still plenty of Pacific Jazz titles that haven't made it to CD. A partial solution to this problem has been the recent Mosaic Select series, where we've seen Pacific Jazz sets covering Carmell Jones and Curtis Amy. We will probably see more.

Still, three Connoisseur batches and two West Coast Classics batches with six titles in each during just one year. Ah, those were the days. After 2000 there has only been one Connoisseur batch each year.

True. But there is an important difference. Connoisseurs/West Coast Classics are/were always titles new to CD. RVGs have with rather few exceptions been titles that already had been on CD in the 80s and the 90s. I already had all of the titles in the August/September 2003 RVG batches for example. So for the seasoned CD collector, the RVG series doesn’t offer as much excitement as the Connoisseur series. For someone who is new to the BN collecting disease the RVG series is great of course.

There were 18 Connoisseur releases in 1998 nominally. But there were also 12 West Coast Classics releases, which were limited editions too, but drawn from the Pacific Jazz catalogue instead. So if you count them together there were 30 limited edition releases that year.

Thanks for the clarification, Swinging Swede. Yes, those must really have been the days!

Blue Note Connoisseur CD Series

SERIES I (1994)

Ornette Coleman - The Empty Foxhole

Don Cherry - Symphony for Imrovisers

Cliff Jordan and John Gilmore - Blowing in from Chicago

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop

Freddie Redd - "The Connection"

Andrew Hill - Judgement

J.R. Monterose - S/T

Bobby Hutcherson - Components

Wayne Shorter - The All-Seeing Eye

Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Tina Brooks - True Blue

Baby Face Willette - Stop and Listen

SERIES II (1995)

Jackie McLean - Destination Out!

Grant Geen - Green Street

Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff

Wayne Shorter - Schizophrenia

Andrew Hill - Smokestack

Lee Morgan - Leeway

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Pete La Roca - Basra

Dizzy Reece - Blues in Trinity

Freddie Hubbard - Ready for Freddie

Lou Donaldson - Sunny Side Up

Walter Davis Jr. - Davis Cup

SERIES III (1995)

Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator

Grant Green - Solid

Wayne Shorter - Etcetera

Bobby Hutcherson - Patterns

Hank Mobley - A Slice of the Top

SERIES IV (1996)

Grant Green - Sunday Mornin?

Donald Byrd - Byrd in Flight

Here Comes Louis Smith

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C

Jack Wilson - Something Personal

Paul Chambers - Paul Chambers Quintet

Ike Quebec - Soul Samba

Harold Vick - Steppin' Out

John Jenkins - John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell

Jutta Hipp - Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims

Sonny Red - Out of the Blue

Dodo Greene - My Hour of Need

SERIES V- (1997)

Jackie McLean - Swing, Swang, Swingin?

Art Blakey - Orgy in Rhythm Vols. 1 & 2

Clifford Jordan - Cliff Craft

Sonny Clark - Dial S for Sonny

Horace Parlan - Us Three

Horace Silver - Further Explorations by Horace Silver

SERIES VI (1997)

Freddie Hubbard - Goin' Up

Bobby Hutcherson - Stick-up!

Booker Ervin - The In-between

Bennie Green - Soul Stirrin'

Jackie McLean - 'Bout Soul

Baby Face Willette - Face to Face

SERIES VII (1998)

Freddie Redd - Shades of Redd

OOP Horace Parlan - On the Spur of the Moment

Larry Young - Into Somethin'

Ike Quebec - It Might As Well Be Spring

Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks

Fred Jackson - Hootin' and Tootin'

SERIES VIII (1998)

Sonny Clark - Sonny's Crib

Hank Mobley - Third Season

Lee Morgan - Infinity

Art Blakey - Africane

Jimmy Smith - Softly as a Summer Breeze

Bobby Hutcherson - Medina

SERIES IX (1998)

Julius Watkins - Julius Watkins Sextet Vols. 1 & 2

Sal Salvador Quintet/ Kenton Presents...

Howard McGhee Vol. 1/Introducing Kenny Drew

Howard McGhee Vol. 2/Tal Farlow Quartet

Frank Foster/Gearge Wallington - Showcase

Gil Melle - Complete Fifties Sessions

SERIES X (1999)

Grant Green - Blues for Lou

Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker

Jimmy Smith - Six Views of the Blues

Art Blakey - Drums Around The Corner

Lou Donaldson - A Man with a Horn

Dizzy Reece - Comin' on

Various Artists - The Lost Sessions

SERIES XI (2000)

Andrew Hill - Grass Roots

Don Cherry - Complete Communion

Tina Brooks - Minor Move

Lee Morgan - Taru

Sonny Clark - My Conception

Jackie McLean - Vertigo

Kenny Burrell - Introducing Kenny Burrell

Stanley Turrentine with the 3 Sounds - The Complete Blue Hour Sesions

Sonny Criss - The Complete Imperial Sessions

SERIES XII (2001)

Hank Mobley - Straight No Filer

Andrew Hill - Lift Every Voice

Booker Ervin - Structurally Sound

Grant Green - First Session

Don Wilkerson - The Complete Blue Note Sessions

George Braith - The Complete Blue Note Sessions

SERIES XIII (2002)

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game

Freddie Redd - Redd's Blues

Hank Mobley - Thinking of Home

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Chick Corea - The Complete Is

Donald Byrd/Doug Watkins - Watkins at Large/Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill/Byrd's Eye View

WEST COAST CLASSIC (incomplete?)

Amy, Curtis & Dupree Bolton - Katanga

Baker, Chet - The Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman

Brookmeyer, Bob - Traditionalism Revisited

Edwards, Teddy - Sunset Eyes

Anderza, Earl - Outa Sight

Montrose, Jack - The Jack Montrose Sextet

Perkins, Bill - The Bill Perkins Octet On Stage

Sheldon ,Jack - The Quartet & The Quintet

Touff, Cy - His Octet and Quintet

Mulligan, Gerry - Original Quarter with Chet Baker

Shank, Bud & Bob Cooper - Blowin' Country

Shank, Bud - Bud Shank & Bill Perkins

Edited by couw

30 in one year. I had no idea. That's incredible. Like street singer, I was not listening to jazz at the time. Ah, for those days. Sometimes, I'm just grateful that we get anything, especially the Pacifics now coming out from Mosaic in the form of Selects.

I think the RVG series is great b/c many of the records reissued are titles I missed/didn't get the first time. I only have a couple duplications with RVG's, "Somethin Else", "Maiden Voyage", "The Sermon", "Cool Blues", and "Houseparty". And I agree with Chuck that it's a good way to update masterings of classic recordings, especially for those of us like myself who can not afford to go the Japanese import route too often, and where I shop o/l like CDUniverse, it's difficult to locate titles actually in stock, import wise.

Edited by CJ Shearn

You don't think some seasoned collectors want better masterings of "classic recordings"?

Oh, I know some do. That’s clear from the discussions here. But I would assume that even for them getting a new remaster of something they don’t have is a more exciting prospect than getting a new remaster of something they already have. Maybe I’m wrong.

Personally I don’t play the upgrade game. I feel that instead of getting a new remaster of music I already have, the same money is better spent on a new remaster of music I don’t have. There’s so much available from other labels, for example the rich Fantasy catalogue. Right now I feel that if I ever am going to upgrade, it would have to be to a better format, like SACD, and I’m not sure I would do it even then.

The RVG is also slipping in some sides normally relegated to the Conn series

I’ve read that before, but I’m unconvinced. Looking over the list of RVGs I can’t find any title that without the RVG series would have been obvious as a Connoisseur rather than a regular release. The closest is probably Groovin’ At Small’s Paradise, but it is still by a major name.

The RVG is also slipping in some sides normally relegated to the Conn series

I’ve read that before, but I’m unconvinced. Looking over the list of RVGs I can’t find any title that without the RVG series would have been obvious as a Connoisseur rather than a regular release. The closest is probably Groovin’ At Small’s Paradise, but it is still by a major name.

Hutcherson's Dialogue, maybe some of the Shorters (why do some of them get RVG treatment while others were Conns? - maybe because it would have taken longer to get them all out as Conns?), and Tony Williams "Lifetime".

Stilistically "Out to Lunch" and the "Golden Circle" ones would have fitted better in the Conn-series, too. But everybody (?!?) knows and loves Dolphy and Ornette.

ubu

king ubu,

Remember that the Connoisseur series is for albums not previously released on CD in the U.S. All those titles you mention had already been out on CD in the U.S. (some even twice), and hence they were ineligible for the Connoisseur series.

The list of RVG titles not previously released on CD is short (only nine), and they are all by major names: Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Grant Green, Jackie McLean, Donald Byrd, Stanley Turrentine and Jimmy Smith. Not obvious Connoisseur material by any means.