Nord C2 or Hammond sk2?

dankarlsberg

I am interested in getting a new organ, and I can't decide between these two. The main reason I can't decide is I can't find either to play on and compare. I have to buy one first to hear it. I have now played on a nord electro 3, and a hammond xk3-c, in a not ideal setting, and I'm not sure how similar they are to the C2 and sk2. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know there are plenty of forums which discuss the nord, but not any compare them with the sk2.

Currently I have been playing the past few years on a hammond xb-2 (ver. 1), and 30% of the time use a korg cx-3 as a lower manuel, running both through a mixer to a volume pedal. I hate it and I am tired of spending 45min to set it up on gigs. On the hammond I can't use any purcussion because it's too loud, and I can't use the leslie because it sucks. SO... I am pretty sure either organ i am looking at will be a great improvement.

Thanks in advanced for any comments!

Edited by piano Dan

Dan,

Either the Nord or the Hammond will definitely be an improvement over what you have now. The SK2 has several advantages over the Nord, however. These include:

1) A better organ sound engine. Not only is the Hammond engine better sounding, it is more tweakable. That means if you spend time to customize it, you can coax your own personal "ideal Hammond" sound out of it. I have not played the SK2, but I have played the SK1 and the organ is awesome. It's the same engine as the XK3c but with improved percussion, improved chorus/vibrato, and an improved Leslie sim.

2) The "extra" sounds. The SK2 has really good acoustic piano, electric piano, clavinet, accordion, pipe organ, and other sounds. And you can easily assign them to the top or bottom manual.

3) Better keyboard action. I have never been a big fan of the feel of the keyboard on Nord's products. The SK1/2 use a really great feeling keyboard made by Fatar. It's the same one in the Hammond XK1 and most prefer it even over the action in the XK3 and XK3c.

4) The preset management is much better on the SK2. On the Nord, it is really time consuming to change presets.

5) And finally and most importantly: REAL DRAWBARS! The buttons on the Nord suck. The SK2 has real drawbars. If you're playing organ, you need drawbars.

If I were you, I'd call Hammond directly and ask them who the closest dealer is that has an SK2. There's gotta be someone within a few hours of you that has one.

Hope that helps.