Eddie Marshall, RIP

ValerieB

Very sad news. I grew up watching and listening to Eddie in the Bay Area. A kind and generous guy, and the foundation of my understanding (such as it is) of jazz drumming, including the work of his grandfather. Rest peacefully.

Edited by BeBop

As a Bay Area musician, this loss hits hard. The older generations of jazz musicians, including the handful of truly generous and insightful drummers that have hung around from the salad days of bop, free, and beyond, often take an active role out here. It's all one big generational story, and I'm sad to see Marshall--as one of the really big lights--pass on.

One album of his (not really as a sideman--more as a co-leader) that I've always really loved--but can't really find mention of anywhere--is the Improvising Artists album Almanac (with Mike Nock, Bennie Maupin, and Cecil McBee). The band is the match of any post-bop or straight ahead ensemble operating in those waters (whatever those waters were) in the late 60's, and Eddie plays spectacularly.

I was lucky to be in SF to catch this:

Thursday, November 2, 2000

SFJazz Presents: A Salute to Eddie Marshall

In this specially priced event, the Festival honors a drummer of international stature who makes his home here in the Bay Area: the great Eddie Marshall. A longtime collaborator of jazz masters like Stan Getz, Toshiko Akiyoshi, and the stellar musicians on this bill, Marshall has had an incalculable influence on the evolution of jazz in San Francisco over the past quarter-century. He continues to move the music ahead with his latest band, Holy Mischief, which performs in this concert.

Joining Marshall on the Masonic stage is world-renowned vocalist and conductor Bobby McFerrin, who credits some of his "most cherished memories of making music" to his 20-year history with Eddie Marshall. Also performing with and in honor of Marshall are jazz vibraphone great Bobby Hutcherson and his quartet, with trumpet legend Freddie Hubbard as special guest. The evening is capped off with the historic reunion of Marshall’s influential fusion band, The Fourth Way.

Anyone else see this show? I can't remember if Freddie made it, and Mike White played very poorly as he also did when I saw a Handy Quintet reunion at Iridium.