Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play The Blues

JSngry

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, too late, you missed it ohmy.gif

Washington Post, Sept. 7:

NCM Fathom and Rhino Entertainment are presenting a special, one night concert event joining jazz great Wynton Marsalis and guitar legend Eric Clapton for aspellbinding evening of blues, rock and jazz performed and captured this past spring at the famous Jazz at Lincoln Center Annual Gala. The famous duo performed to a sell-out crowd with a dazzling eight member orchestra comprised of the Jazz at Lincoln Center musicians. This one night only theatre event will be Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 and will feature unique elements including behind-the-scenes rehearsal footage.

Does anyone think Clapton cares anymore? To me, this is a sell-out on multiple levels. It would be nice to know if this was just a paycheck to him, or something he thought might somehow add to his already substantial legacy. Understand that I say this not having heard a note of their performance, a situation, BTW, that I have no intention of remedying any time soon.

i'd be flabbergasted if anyone cares, or for that matter even much mentions, any of the music from this 'project' more than 5-6 months after release. that's not including the crass nod it'll get at the grammy's. my assumption is that it'll be tepid at best. mawkish and vomit-inducingly pseudo old school at worst. i guess we'll see...

Edited by thedwork

i'd be flabbergasted if anyone cares, or for that matter even much mentions, any of the music from this 'project' more than 5-6 months after release. that's not including the crass nod it'll get at the grammy's. my assumption is that it'll be tepid at best. mawkish and vomit-inducingly pseudo old school at worst. i guess we'll see...

Maybe they'll use quotes from your post to advertise it: "crass", "tepid", "mawkish", "vomit-inducing". :D

Does anyone think Clapton cares anymore? To me, this is a sell-out on multiple levels. It would be nice to know if this was just a paycheck to him, or something he thought might somehow add to his already substantial legacy. Understand that I say this not having heard a note of their performance, a situation, BTW, that I have no intention of remedying any time soon.

I thought Clapton stopped caring around '71.

I actually watched some of it (there was a tv show of some of the Lincoln Center stuff) - strange thing was that Wynton, trying to play funky, comes across as a self-parody (or maybe not so strange). He does some mute/plunger thing and sounds like Clyde McCoy,

Edited by AllenLowe

I actually watched some of it (there was a tv show of some of the Lincoln Center stuff) - strange thing was that Wynton, trying to play funky, comes across as a self-parody (or maybe not so strange). He does some mute/plunger thing and sounds like Clyde McCoy,

Clyde McCoy is what I would have expected, but expectations aren't always met.

Maybe they'll use quotes from your post to advertise it: "crass", "tepid", "mawkish", "vomit-inducing". :D

i've got a better pull-quote: "Forgettable at best." yeah. that'll probably cover it.