iPod question.

Hardbopjazz

Anyone know how to get an iPod to sync once you switched to a new computer? I copied all the music purchased from iTunes and I register my iPod on my new computer, but I can't get any of the old purchases/tunes to sync from the new computer.

I don't want to answer a question that you haven't asked, so to clarify: are you trying to copy music from your iPod to your new computer?

Did you also move your itunes library files? Alternatively, you could create new ones by reloading all of your music files into itunes.

Another possibility is that somehow all of your music became "unchecked" after the transfer. Tracks that are not checked (with the check mark in front of them) will not transfer to the ipod during a sync.

Do little black dots with exlamation points appear in front of the old tracks when you try to synch. That means that, for some reason, itunes is not "finding" the old music folders and linking them to the library file. I experience that every now and again for some files, and don't really understand the reason. I solve the problem by reloading the given music files into itunes, making them no longer "old files."

I would try deleting everything in the itunes library (but when it asks you, "do you want to keep the music files or send them to the recycle bin, choose the former, of course). Then choose "add to itunes library" and select all of your music folders in the itunes music folder (which is where you put them on your new computer, I assume). That should generate a new itunes library like the old one, but where all of the music is "new."

I just did this an easy way this summer. Install iTunes on the new computer. Sign into your account on the new computer. If you are also singed onto iTunes on the old computer and iTunes is running on the old computer and both a connected to the net, then your old library should appear on the new computer. Then you highlight large sections at a time and select import. You need both computers to have somewhat recent versions of iTunes to have this home network funtion in play.

Much easier than what I did 2 computers ago.

I use this:

http://www.candysoft.com/copytoy/

I regularly save what I have on my 4 iPods. If there's a disaster it's saved on a hard drive. Just leave it to upload rather than spending weeks uploading all your CDs again.

Useful if I change my mind about what type of music I want on each iPod.

Not much help at this point as you'd need to have saved the music from your old iPod. But worth thinking about in future.

I don't trust clouds or other storage solutions beyond my control.