'Hanging Judges' around here

fasstrack

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my memory serves, it was during a performance of "When The Saints...", and JZ stood up during his solo & then keeled over, or something like that. I was on a different gig that night and heard a few different variations over the next few weeks.

Let me ask around and see if I can collect what the real deal was.

BOSS HIJACK STRIKES AGAIN!! That's alright. Never heard that drummer, though. Hell, what kind of jazzman am I anyways? Not even hip enough for my own pillaged thread. That's it. Done with the Jazz Life. Look for me at the next Ken Chesney show. I'll be the guy with gray pais stick out the sides of my black ten-gallon hat...

I enjoyed Zitano a whole lot on some Boston-area recordings from the 1950s, particularly Serge Chaloff's "Boston Blowup." Nice Ray Santisi there, too. A fine date all around. I should listen again, but IIRC there was something special about JZ's ride cymbal beat -- nothing flashy, just personal, subtle, and very propulsive.

For a lot of different reasons, age, stylistic tendencies, and "established circles" chief among them, I seldom directly crossed paths with JZ, But every time that I did, it was a trip, and he is indeed the stuff of local legend, musically and personally.

There was another Dallas drummer, Walter Winn, Marchel Ivery's longtime partner, who was just as colorful as a person and player. It was a time for characters, it seems, and a good time it was.

Er, (clears throat) SETTLE DOWN, CLASS. Talk about this on your OWN TIME!! Mr. Sangrey, since you seem to know so much about hanging judges NOT to pay attention in class, there will be a TEST. And SPELLING COUNTS!! Is that clear, young man, or must I call your mother to school? Speaking of which it's your lucky day, young man. If mom can bring a friend, under 50, unattached and well-situated, no major issues...perhaps I could see my way clear to do some horse trading. Er, WHY ARE YOU STILL STANDING HERE? YOU'RE DISMISSED!! GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE, LITTLE PUNK, BEFORE I CHANGE MY MIND!! Shit, kids...

Edited by fasstrack

If mom can bring a friend, under 50, unattached and well-situated, no major issues..

If my mom had such a friend, he or she would no doubt be working at the nursing home where she now lives. That's about the only non-family people that mom knows these days, and that's on her good days.

Now, me, I know such people. But they all live in Texas & aren't looking to move.

What's Plan B?

I think there's a certain level of frustration being involved in jazz in almost any way: a player, an "artist," a collector, a lover of the live shows, a reviewer or journalist. . . .

Sometimes it feels like being that last guy still fighting the battle after everyone else has thrown down their arms and limped home. Sometimes it feels like facing a world of ignorance delineated by the fact that very often the name Kenny G comes up associated with jazz. Or that it's mentioned it's music for cartoons. Or the fact that jazz is dead and buried and forgotten. We get to feeling combative just because something important to us can be invisible one moment and ground under a heel the next.

And the wicked prosper. A poser may have a better chance at success than a trooper. Money goes to other styles and acts and an emperor's wardrobe. The music peddlers pull down into their shells and put out only the tried and true and guaranteed and watch themselves shrink.

We shouldn't take it out on ourselves as much as we do. It looks bad and we already look bad. And it doesn't help ourselves out much overall.

Edited by jazzbo

Wow. Check out that Wynton-Clapton thread if you ever doubted me. Such unchecked venom toward people unmet. Think I'll go back to Phenobarbital and Von Stroheim films and start laughing again. To quote Gorillas in the Mist: 'Madamoiselles, today you make me ashamed of you. Eugene O'Neill, if you're floating around in the ether look no further than here for material...

Remember the Howling Moon strip in Ntl. Lampoon? Only ran once. A very R. Crumb-meets-Dylan sceneario: The character sets up at a street corner w\gtr. He starts singing this depressing lament. One line was 'my wife ran off with my dog'. In each panel more musicians ask to sit in. Howling: 'sure'. Violin. Bongoes. Yada yada. The song gets darker and darker. Betrayal. Mayhem. Compared to this Long Black Veil is a spiritual. The final 2 panels: the 'band' huddles. Then, 'Er, pal. We decided to to drop th' guitar' 'n vocals'...

Fasstrack, these boards are cyclical. This particular board was started in 03? We did all of the appreciation threads bak then and even before that at bnbb. Every once in a while one will make it's way back up to the top of the list, but the posters here have moved through all of that and are communicating on a much more nuanced and personal level at this point.

This exact thread ha been done before. Worry not. In three weeks, five months, whatever, jazz will still be here and we'll still be talking about it.

Hey. At least someone is talking about it!

From my pov, jazz is alive and well. I'm 34. Most of my friends, musicians and audience alike, are even younger.

Wynton/Clapton, BELIEVE ME, isn't going to change anything, for better or for worse. Completely irrelevant to everyone I know, except here so far. Not a peep elsewhere. Same goes for

Most of the major topics around here.

Exactly. That's why the 'furor' (Fuehrer?) over over, say, K.B.'s Jazz was such a tempest in a teapot. If that argument took place among working-class barlies, say, the regulars would scratch their heads. 'WTF are THESE crazy old fucks going on about? Left out who? WHICH 40 years?'. And finish laughing, then order another Rye. You are so right. I don't know why I bother. Just that I do...