'Hanging Judges' around here

fasstrack

Wish I'd have said that. :tup

WARNING: PEDANT ALERT

Shouldn't that be "wish I'd said that"? This is a relatively recent trend, I think: replacing "had" with an unnecessary "would have." A typical use is "If I would have known that, I would have done such-and-such." It should be "If I had known that...".

Carry on.

Edited by Tom Storer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I'd have said that. :tup

WARNING: PEDANT ALERT

Shouldn't that be "wish I'd said that"? This is a relatively recent trend, I think: replacing "had" with an unnecessary "would have." A typical use is "If I would have known that, I would have done such-and-such." It should be "If I had known that...".

Carry on.

While we're on the (off) topic, another chronic problem is the use of "would of" instead of "would have". I believe the misinterpretation of the contraction "would've" is at least partially responsible for this. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.....

Edited by Free For All

I think one thing that's overlooked is that the moderators (is that pretty much Larry these days, with Jim traveling & playing and MG out of commission?) have to keep tabs on a lot of threads, and looking after one like this one which for the most part seemed to be rather redundant and self indulgent - at least imo - might end up being a lot more work than would seem worthwhile.

I think one thing that's overlooked is that the moderators (is that pretty much Larry these days, with Jim traveling & playing and MG out of commission?) have to keep tabs on a lot of threads, and looking after one like this one which for the most part seemed to be rather redundant and self indulgent - at least imo - might end up being a lot more work than would seem worthwhile.

Now that you mention MG, any idea what happened to him? He's been absent from this forum for almost a year now; he disappeared when I was still a moderator, but I have no idea why he's no longer here.

By the way, Weizen is also a moderator, but I don't know if he's still active..

Edited by J.A.W.

Now that you mention MG, any idea what happened to him? He's been absent from this forum for almost a year now; he disappeared when I was still a moderator, but I have no idea why he's no longer here.

I have emailed The Magnificent Goldberg from time to time. He is fine. He had some family matters which took up a lot of time, when he left the board. Now he says that he may return to the board at some point, but is a little bit reluctant because of the large time commitment. I suggested that he read and post on fewer threads. I wish that he would come back here.

I have emailed The Magnificent Goldberg from time to time. He is fine. He had some family matters which took up a lot of time, when he left the board. Now he says that he may return to the board at some point, but is a little bit reluctant because of the large time commitment. I suggested that he read and post on fewer threads. I wish that he would come back here.

Well, he can always resign as a moderator, it'll reduce the commitment and lessen the stress considerably (I speak from experience :))

Edited by J.A.W.

Well, he can always resign as a moderator, it'll reduce the commitment and lessen the stress considerably (I speak from experience :))

That was a point I wanted to make. There's responsibility and, I would imagine, stress that comes with being a moderator. It's easier to criticize a moderator for making a decision than it is to try and understand why the decision was been.

Me too. He recently bought my Eddie Johnson issue and we had an exchange after he received it. Just pleased to hear he's ok.

Yes, but we don't have to be so nasty to each other. That's my main "turn off" in all this. I do think that the venom towards some artists is a bit much, but when it's coupled with real nastiness from posters towards other posters who may not share an opinion. . . it's even worse. And that happens here, often enough.

My view too.

Agree if you dislike something you sometimes need to say so. But sometimes the 'venom towards some artists' takes on a rather adolescent 'I'm too cool to like..' aspect. The Clapton/Marsalis project might well deserve criticism - either in its seemingly commercial intent or its execution - but the thread pretty soon strayed off into rehearsed attacks on the musicians in general.

I miss MG's contributions greatly. His musical interests only overlap in places with mine but his enthusiasm for what he likes constantly drew me towards music I might not otherwise listen to.

I hope any current difficulties are overcome.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I actually think the nastiness has declined significantly in the last year.

"It's easier to criticize a moderator for making a decision than it is to try and understand why the decision was been. "

actually, in this place it's very difficult to criticize a moderator. Decisions are rarely changed. I just don't worry about it anymore.

I miss MG's contributions greatly. His musical interests only overlap in places with mine but his enthusiasm for what he likes constantly drew me towards music I might not otherwise listen too.

MG was a pleasure to meet and entertain in my home. It was even fun to haul him around town a little on the back of my motorcycle. He's a brave man! I really think he's one of the finest music fans I've ever met and I hope he can return to this conversation soon.

I actually think the nastiness has declined significantly in the last year.

"It's easier to criticize a moderator for making a decision than it is to try and understand why the decision was been. "

actually, in this place it's very difficult to criticize a moderator. Decisions are rarely changed. I just don't worry about it anymore.

Has anyone ever been kicked off the board for criticizing a moderator? Decisions are changed. The thread was re-opened. shrug[1].gif

I miss MG's contributions greatly. His musical interests only overlap in places with mine but his enthusiasm for what he likes constantly drew me towards music I might not otherwise listen too.

MG was a pleasure to meet and entertain in my home. It was even fun to haul him around town a little on the back of my motorcycle. He's a brave man! I really think he's one of the finest music fans I've ever met and I hope he can return to this conversation soon.

I miss him and his many contributions, too.

Must have been a wonderful visit, j!