Mahler and Miles

Late

FWIW, I think part of the opening riff in Debussy's "Prelude de l'Apres midi d'une Faune" (spelling?) sounds like the opening riff of "Round Midnight".

Didn't Gil Evans arrange that bit? - not inconceivable that Gil would have drawn upon this bit of Debussy.

I don't know. I'd never heard the Debussy until a few months ago (obviously known Round Midnight for donkey's years). When I heard it my ears pricked up - I love stuff like that.

Approximately 7:37 into Mahler's 9th (first movement), the bass clarinet figures sound eerily like Bennie Maupin on Bitches Brew.

If I had Bitches Brew I'd try it out.

FWIW, I think part of the opening riff in Debussy's "Prelude de l'Apres midi d'une Faune" (spelling?) sounds like the opening riff of "Round Midnight".

Isn't it the other way 'round, with Bennie Maupin on Bitches Brew sounding like the bass clarinet at 7:37 into the first movement of Mahler 9 and 'Round Midnight sounding like the opening of Prélude à l'après-midi d'une faune ;)

Edited by J.A.W.

• 1 month later...

More classical / jazz comparisons.

I've just listened to Mikhail Pletneyev playing a piano transcription of the the prologue and fugue from Shchedrin's "Anna Karenina".

I swear I hear the first phrase of "I'm A Fool To Want You" a couple of times. If so, it would be interesting because the song predates "Anna Karenina", so it could follow that either composer or pianist put it in on purpose.