Fruscella-Moore Fruscella: The unissued Atlantic sessions

philtenb

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered it today... but seems it might take a while (went with amazon).

amazon uk is giving a late October date for this,

Mine shipped today from the UK distributor (Discovery Records). A good organisation to order from. Always worth checking out their price for Fresh Sound, Gambit etc. etc.

Having it there is certainly an advantage.

If you put enough of an order together (more than $35) to get free shipping, it might work.

Otherwise it's $21.25 (incl. shipping) for the one disc.

I use Worlds Records a lot. Using the free shipping makes it close enough in price to other sites, and they get European items before other sites, and their selection and inventory is top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got mine today - spinning now, sounds very relaxed, low-key... more like an informal session at the Open Door than a real studio session intended for release as a whole album... but I guess that atmosphere is a big part of Fruscella's fascination, it's all over his few recordings.

shit! still waiting for my copy (i went with jpc) and they don´t have a glimpse of a date till now!!!

keep boppin´

marcel

What's your experience with previous dealings (promptness of shipping, 100% fulfilling of orders, etc.) with jpc, if any? I am considering placing an order with them for 1 or 2 CDs that for some reason are significantly more expensive on Amazon (even with their marketplace sellers).

JPC is dependent on Fresh Sound's German distributor, which is not the fastest company in the business ...

I have noticed that many titles are available from Fresh Sound directly, but hit the German retailers only several weeks later. Seems they import a whole container at a time ....

listening now -

1) nice session but not quite tip top Moore. Even Fruscella, who generally is fine, has a few hesitant moments. But let me say something important, which is that Bill Triglia, who was a friend of mine, is one of the best pianists of that era. Listen to his work on this.

2) Interesting quotes from two musicians I knew in the 1970s, both with whom I was speaking about Fruscella, though at separate times:

"Tony was playing that way BEORE Miles, and he also had it together before Miles." - Bill Triglia (see above)

"I knew Fruscella! He was doing that Miles thing BEFORE Miles was doing it." - Sir John Godfrey (drummer)

this is highly recommended; the musicians sound a little off balance, maybe tired or under-rehearsed (or stoned?); though even Triglia sounds a little hesitant at times and he was straight as an arrow; whatever the cause, this is very precious stuff. I love the '50s in jazz.

Hello !

What album (leader or sideman) would you recommend to hear Brew Moore at his best ? I really enjoy his playing here.

re: Don Joseph - It would be great if Uptown reissues "One of a Kind": a chance to hear Bill Triglia as well (really like his subtly incisive, intelligent contributions, on this and on Fruscella's self-titled album).