Fruscella-Moore Fruscella: The unissued Atlantic sessions

philtenb

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the info on Michael Fitzgerald's page (no track timings etc) i don't think it was in circulation (he doesn't update the page regularly anymore though i believe, so this info is as of two years ago or so...); iirc someone (larry?) mentioned here that ira gitler had heard it or might own a copy but that's all i know... hadn't been aware that this was actually the first Fruscella Atlantic album, not the second so apparently it stayed in the can...?

track titles and stuff look weird, there's a huge variation in running time between different takes, the titles reveal either a "blues project" or titles assigned by the engineer or such (the info in fitzgerald's discography with the matrix numbers looks as if it comes from session logs or so?)... and even with the longest versions of each tune it's barely 28 minutes (the cd is longer but there are 6 alternate takes) so apparently unfinished... or 10'?

I don't think Mr Pujol has access to the Atlantic vaults, and I wonder where he got this unissued material from. Strange...

It is strange... but that's how it is.

Atlantic has never released this (are the releasing any jazz at all these days? Anything since the "Tutu" deluxe edition?) and it's great to be able to get it.

On the other hand you can say: No one should ever hear it, no one has the right to release and/or hear it. Nothing wrong with that view, but curiosity just gets the better of me!

I don't think Mr Pujol has access to the Atlantic vaults, and I wonder where he got this unissued material from. Strange...

It is strange... but that's how it is.

Atlantic has never released this (are the releasing any jazz at all these days? Anything since the "Tutu" deluxe edition?) and it's great to be able to get it.

On the other hand you can say: No one should ever hear it, no one has the right to release and/or hear it. Nothing wrong with that view, but curiosity just gets the better of me!

If Mr Pujol doesn't have access to the Atlantic vaults and the material hasn't been available before, someone must have stolen it from the vaults.

Edited by J.A.W.

If Mr Pujol doesn't have access to the Atlatic vaults and the material hasn't been available before, someone must have stolen it from the vaults.

Who knows who may have been given a dub of that session decades ago and allowed it to be circulated now? Maybe one of those involved in the session?

It is not AUTOMATICALLY a case of "stolen" if something surfaces that somebody else prefers to sit on like a setting hen on a set of marbles wondering when ANYTHING will ever hatch from it... :D

If Mr Pujol doesn't have access to the Atlatic vaults and the material hasn't been available before, someone must have stolen it from the vaults.

Who knows who may have been given a dub of that session decades ago and allowed it to be circulated now? Maybe one of those involved in the session?

Yep, that could have been the case, hadn't thought of that.

Edited by J.A.W.

see my post above, i am fairly certain that someone somewhere on this board said that the album had been heard by a handful of people which at least opens the possibility that some copies were out... it's a bit short at least for a 12' album so maybe it was aborted or it was a late 10' album that fell through the cracks...

see my post above, i am fairly certain that someone somewhere on this board said that the album had been heard by a handful of people which at least opens the possibility that some copies were out... it's a bit short at least for a 12' album so maybe it was aborted or it was a late 10' album that fell through the cracks...

I distictly remember a person on this board claiming that copies of this were "around". Considering the speed and ease with which things are circulated these days, it stands to reason that this was going to fall into the hands of someone like Pujol sooner or later.

The reasons things are not issued sometimes has little to do with the quality of the music. Now if someone can come up with that other Hasaan session!