Is There Anything Worse Than A Smart Mouse?

About a month ago, we noticed mouse droppings in our bread drawer. Throw away all the bread, sanitize the drawer and put out (no kill) traps. Next morning, I catch "the" mouse and set him free in the woods. Just to be sure, I set it again and the next morning, I catch another mouse. Off he goes to join his buddy a couple miles away. I set the trap for a 3rd night and wake up to an empty trap. Ahh, they're all gone!

Wrong! A week later, we find more mouse droppings. I set the trap. Nothing. I set two more (no kill) traps and not only don't I catch it, it gets the bait out! Last night, I finally had to set up a couple of "snap traps" (lethal). This morning, I wake up to find the bait gone and no dead mouse. Tonight, I'm going to use peanut butter to make it lick the spring release. Wish me luck. If this doesn't work, I'll have to go with a sticky trap (shudder). I hate sticky traps. They are so nasty.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

We have two very effective and infallible mouse-catching devices. Called a C-A-T.

Works every time! Cute and furry as well.

Highly recommended.

Get one. Or two.

LWayne :)

About a month ago, we noticed mouse droppings in our bread drawer. Throw away all the bread, sanitize the drawer and put out (no kill) traps. Next morning, I catch "the" mouse and set him free in the woods. Just to be sure, I set it again and the next morning, I catch another mouse. Off he goes to join his buddy a couple miles away. I set the trap for a 3rd night and wake up to an empty trap. Ahh, they're all gone!

Wrong! A week later, we find more mouse droppings. I set the trap. Nothing. I set two more (no kill) traps and not only don't I catch it, it gets the bait out! Last night, I finally had to set up a couple of "snap traps" (lethal). This morning, I wake up to find the bait gone and no dead mouse. Tonight, I'm going to use peanut butter to make it lick the spring release. Wish me luck. If this doesn't work, I'll have to go with a sticky trap (shudder). I hate sticky traps. They are so nasty.

Kevin

Edited by LWayne

I smear the foundation of my neighbor's house with peanut butter and Cheez Whiz.

I did a quick web search for "cat urine" to see if I could buy some. Seems like everyone wants to get RID of it. Wouldn't a little of this scare off the mice? I guess that's the problem with mice: even the dumb ones are smarter than I.

About 30 years ago, I had a mouse in my apartment, so I bought a no-kill trap, the kind that has the glue.

It didn't take long for the mouse to get stuck. When that happens, one is supposed to dispose of mouse and trap in some sort of way, but I just couldn't get myself to pick up the trap. I told a neighbor and he said, "I'll be right over, it's just a mouse, not a rat!"

A few minutes later, my neighbor showed up, but when I took him to where the mouse was, he said, "It's alive!" Then he took two steps back and said, that he could not deal with picking up a live mouse.

"Would it be easier if it was in a coma?," I asked.

He told me it would, so I did a terrible thing. I took a RAID roach spray (remember those things?) and aimed at the little creature.

I felt to bad about it that I was relieved when the RAID spray, instead of inducing a coma, dissolved the glue!

The mouse ran away.

Later, I went out and bought an old-fashioned, slammin' Victor trap.

It worked.

My wife & I are big dog people. We just got a puppy. I like cats but my wife would divorce me if I tried bringing one home.

I didn't realize that you could dissolve a sticky trap. That's a thought. Otherwise, I'll have to take the live, stuck mouse out into the back yard and smash him. Not my idea of pleasant scene. I guess I don't have that "killer instinct". :)

Get snakes.

I like cats but my wife would divorce me if I tried bringing one home.

Get a snake, bring it home to the wife, and then have her watch while you feed it a kitten. That'll get her on the snakes' side. Then turn the snake loose to take care of the mice while flashing your wife a knowing leer and sing a line or two of "Crawlin' King Snake (lyrics here: http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1785773/Muddy-Waters-Crawlin%27-kingsnake-Lyrics should they be needed)

Win-win.

Always go for the win-win.

Next morning, I catch "the" mouse and set him free in the woods. Just to be sure, I set it again and the next morning, I catch another mouse. Off he goes to join his buddy a couple miles away.

It's probably the same mouse. My advice to you is to bait the snap traps with bacon rind, so the mouse stays in place, pulling on it, to be killed. Sounds harsh, but mice spread disease, are incontinent (leaving urine wherever they go) and nibble through electric cables, causing fire hazards. Once in your home they will also set about invading your neighbours', so please think of the people next door too.

Cats are no use, apparently: they bring mice INTO the house.

Kill the mouse, It's him or you.

Edited by crisp

Well, I got him (her?) last night with peanut butter. I guess when I used cheese, he was able to slide it off the trigger without setting it off. Peanut butter doesn't slide off. The worst thing about it was that the trap went off as my daughter was coming home from work so she heard and saw the little guy's dying breath. Hopefully, I got the last one. I'm going to set the trap for the next few nights to see if he had any friends or family.

BTW, my wife amazed me last night when she told me she was going to borrow a co-worker's cat over the weekend if I couldn't catch the mouse. My jaw fell open and I told her that I was telling you guys that I would be in divorce court if I brought home a cat. :)

Yeah, but they bring them into the house already dead, or else in order to finish killing them. The point is that if they find mice in the house, they will kill them; and mice, smelling cat, will avoid entering.

But maybe you were being tongue-in-cheek?

Yeah, but they bring them into the house already dead, or else in order to finish killing them. The point is that if they find mice in the house, they will kill them; and mice, smelling cat, will avoid entering.

But maybe you were being tongue-in-cheek?

I'm sure you know better, Tom. I put "apparently" as it's just something I've heard. Not all cats are especially interested in catching mice and those that are are not necessarily that good at finishing them off them once they do. In any case, wouldn't well-baited snap-traps be more humane? Cats are charming but they are pretty cruel towards their prey.

Edited to say: don't tell your wife this, Kevin, otherwise you won't get your pet cat!

Edited by crisp