Dave Brubeck Quartet: Complete Columbia Studio Albums Collection

crisp

Details from The Second Disc.

Its 19 discs open with 1955’s Brubeck Time and conclude with 1966’s Plays Cole Porter – Anything Goes. As the title attests, this box does not include everything recorded by Brubeck at Columbia during his long association with the label, presenting only the studio albums of the Quartet. (Live albums and solo albums have naturally been excluded.) This box not only restores a number of out-of-print titles back to catalogue but also introduces a number of the Quartet’s albums to American CD.

Also on the way:

Billie Holiday, Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia 1933-1944 (Repackaging of previous set)

Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Complete Columbia Albums Collection

Weather Report, The Jaco Years: The Complete Columbia Albums Collection

Edited by crisp

• 2 weeks later...

On the one hand I should be happy that this is coming out: 7 of these 19 albums have never been officially released on CD in the US or Europe! But I really wish they'd just put them out individually instead of releasing such box sets.

Wow, this trend just keeps getting better. Thumbs way up.

Hm, limiting it to the studio albums seems a but silly, though. And I see it omits The Riddle.

The Riddle is not a "Quartet" album. No Desmond, Bill Smith on clarinet. Compositions by Smith. It doesn't belong in this box set. It's been reissued as part of a Spanish label twofer.

I think I have enough Brubeck, but if the price is right...

That's kind of how I feel. I have an awful lot of the previously issued material (and I've have to give away another set of his "Time" albums, but never say never.

Anyway, perhaps discussed elsewhere, but the Getz Complete Columbia set: http://www.popmarket.com/stan-getz-the-complete-columbia-albums-collection/details/25809734 looks like it has far more material not on CD before or at least not in the US. AFAIK, the only material here I have or even have listened to is Captain Marvel. Anyone have an opinion on the rest of the set?

• 3 months later...

I wish Columbia/Sony would re-issue the following LPs on CD:

1. At Storyville (has been re-issued by Fresh Sound Records)

2. Blues Roots with Gerry Mulligan

3. In Amsterdam

4. Jackpot

5. Last Time We Saw Paris

6. The Riddle (has been re-issued by Solar Records combined with Southern Scene)

7. Tonight Only! with Carmen McRae (has been re-issued by 101 Distribution)

8. Compadres with Gerry Mulligan

These are the albums included:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Brubeck Time

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Jazz Impressions Of The U.S.A.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Jazz Impressions Of Eurasia

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Dave Digs Disney

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Gone With The Wind

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Time Out!

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Southern Scene

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Bernstein Plays Brubeck Plays Bernstein

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Time Further Out

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Countdown: Time In Outer Space

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Bossa Nova U.S.A.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Brandenburg Gate: Revisited

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Time Changes

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Jazz Impressions Of Japan

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Jazz Impressions Of New York

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Angel Eyes

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / My Favorite Things

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Time In

The Dave Brubeck Quartet / Plays Cole Porter - Anything Goes!

Still no idea about possible bonus tracks ... but it is the quartet proper, no guests or piano solo albums etc.

I did buy this set when Popmarket.com had it on sale a bit agol The only bonus tracks are the very few that were released on previous legacy editions. Great sound though to this set. Looking forward to the "live" box set that it's rumored is to be done.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...

Russell Gloyd informed me that they are at work on a Columbia live boxed set. He didn't mention if it will be exclusively the quartet or possibly include the material with Gerry Mulligan, Jack Six and Alan Dawson (I imagine it is unlikely).

One thing I know is that the set from the 1956 Newport performance edited out one song (I think it was either "The Duke" or "In Your Own Sweet Way," I haven't read the liner notes in awhile) from the Brubeck side of the LP. Also, Russell mentioned that there are a number of unissued tracks from the 1962 Concertgebouw concert, which wasn't issued on LP until 1968 or so.