Ran Blake

Late

I had Blue Potato on vinyl years ago.

I recall it as being as good as his other solo LPs.

I sold it with the rest of my vinyl collection & haven't heard it since.

Also want to mention Blake / Braxton: A Memory Of Vienna (hatOLOGY 505).

It was recorded 1988 in Vienna & is made up of 8 standards ranging from Four & Soul Eyes to

Just Friends & Alone Together.

Very nice, as you might expect.

Anyone else have Blake's "Unmarked Van: Tribute to Sarah Vaughn", on Soul Note? I've been listening to it in my car today, and really enjoying it. Mainly a solo album, but with a tiny bit of support on occasion from a percussionist.

d65003pyt31.jpg

I also have and enjoy Horace Silver tribute disc, which is still available on sale from hatology, I believe.

Mapleshade has a reputation in some circles for concentrating on sound at the expense of music

Who said that?!? Everything I know about Pierre Sprey's approach to recording tells of his devotion to the music and his efforts to make it heard without any sound manipulation! The musicians play what they want on his sessions. And it's real jazz, not some fancy stuff tailored to appeal to high-end listeners. Because they are hard core jazz his CDs are underrepresented in HiFi shops, at least over here. And the equipment he uses is simplistic and sophisticated at the same time.

I have the Ran Blake with Jordan and find it musically great and great sounding at the same time. For what other label could he have recorded this music? I'm looking forward to getting his other Mapleshade discs.

Edited by mikeweil

Anybody heard his Milestone album THE BLUE POTATO? Never been able to find that one, unfortunately.

It's a nice one, IIRC. (I can't give it a spin right now because my turntable isn't currently hooked up. {Speaking of vinyl, if you see a copy of "Film Noir" and don't already have it, grab it!})

Edited by alankin

Mapleshade has a reputation in some circles for concentrating on sound at the expense of music

Who said that?!? Everything I know about Pierre Sprey's approach to recording tells of his devotion to the music and his efforts to make it heard without any sound manipulation! The musicians play what they want on his sessions. And it's real jazz, not some fancy stuff tailored to appeal to high-end listeners. Because they are hard core jazz his CDs are underrepresented in HiFi shops, at least over here. And the equipment he uses is simplistic and sophisticated at the same time.

I have the Ran Blake with Jordan and find it musically great and great sounding at the same time. For what other label could he have recorded this music? I'm looking forward to getting his other Mapleshade discs.

I remember someone saying that on either this Board or the BN Board, and I've read it somewhere also, but can't recall where right now. Sorry to be so vague. I don't agree with that opinion either. I have 4 or 5 Mapleshades (though I've picked and chosen carefully), and I like them all for musical reasons. I never listen to a recording unless I enjoy the music, no matter how good the sound is. The Blake/Jordan is simply an excellent CD, musically and sonically.

• 5 years later...

Thanks for posting that, Larry. Could you point me to any other articles/interviews that further discuss Blake's approach to ear-training? I find this aspect of his role as an educator the most intriguing.

There is some writing on his website about this. I read in a magazine article a couple of years ago that he was going to publish a book on the subject. I have not seen it yet.

• 3 months later...

His love for "Films Noirs" is well known.

If you like is approach of Vertigo and other films music, you should listen to the french pianist STEPHAN OLIVA and his "Ghosts of Bernard Herrmann" (Illusion Music) or the magnificent "Jazz'n (E) Motion" (it was part of serie in 1998 and it could be difficult to find it) on RcaVictor where he plays the sountracks of Rosemary's Baby, Vertigo, Touch of Evil, Le Mépris etc.). Great music by a pianist who should be known better than he is.

He has a website (www.stephanoliva.com) where you can find his discography.

To come back to Ran Blake so far, my three favorites of him are the great "Short Life Of Barbara Monk", "That Certain Feeling" and his best solo for me, "Breakthru" (you need a pianist to pull out the best from another one").

But I'd never like the three he recorded for on Hat (certainly the weakest from his disco), and certainly not his "hommage" to Horace Silver - with this horrible guitarist who second him on few tunes.

Edited by P.L.M

to me, Blake has solved the whole freedom argument in jazz - showed how one can create a sense of open form while at the same time having brilliant musical focus - of course, it helps to be playing solo in order to do this. But I think Ran has an amazing sense of stationery development - shows how one can be both vertical and horizontal at the same time, musically speaking. Running in place, maybe, but always getting somewhere.

to me, Blake has solved the whole freedom argument in jazz - showed how one can create a sense of open form while at the same time having brilliant musical focus - of course, it helps to be playing solo in order to do this. But I think Ran has an amazing sense of stationery development - shows how one can be both vertical and horizontal at the same time, musically speaking. Running in place, maybe, but always getting somewhere.

didn't know Ran developed stationery too.

What a wonderful pianist as well as a good guy. He and I both loved Jeanne Moreau, so one night in 1974 we rode a bus halfway across Washington D.C. to see one of her movies. An obscure one with lots of dark shadows.

For Down Beat on July, 16, 1966, Amiri Baraka put this in perspective for me, (unclear who he's quoting to me):

"This last item, is a found object:

Owner and Slave

If there were more Woody Hermans

and fewer or no Archie Shepps, the state

of Jazz would be much healthier

--Dave Yost

Spokane, Washington

'We try to use all components of music,' Lloyd explained.

'Chordal composition and improvisation are not finished, nor is complete freedom the answer.'

here are some of the idiots floating around America"

Totally not calling anyone on this board an idiot, at all. I thought this was hilarious and brilliant, though. When people start to argue that we shouldn't be completely free, they've got to think about what they're arguing.

For Down Beat on July, 16, 1966, Amiri Baraka put this in perspective for me, (unclear who he's quoting to me):

"This last item, is a found object:

Owner and Slave

If there were more Woody Hermans

and fewer or no Archie Shepps, the state

of Jazz would be much healthier

--Dave Yost

Spokane, Washington

'We try to use all components of music,' Lloyd explained.

'Chordal composition and improvisation are not finished, nor is complete freedom the answer.'

here are some of the idiots floating around America"

Totally not calling anyone on this board an idiot, at all. I thought this was hilarious and brilliant, though. When people start to argue that we shouldn't be completely free, they've got to think about what they're arguing.

Don't know where Baraka found here are some of the idiots floating around America, but that's clearly his point of view on what he quotes above. Lloyd is speaking in both the previous sentences.