BFT #91 Discussion

fent99

First listen, no peaking. This is a nice test. A lot of the soprano didn't appeal to me, but there's an awful lot to like about this BFT. Thanks!

Track 4 - I'm in. I swear I was listening to this recently. I recognize that crying melody. Love that tone. A bit like Billy Mitchell, but more forceful. I'm leaning Illinois Jacquet (a guy I'm only recently getting more familiar with). Some touches of Lockjaw, but not enough triplets.

Track 10 - Doesn't hit me. Jan Garbarek?

Meant to add some more comments but been away...

Don't know enough of either of Mitchell or Jacquet to say if it sounds like them for 4 and you're close with Garbarek but no cigar as yet

Track 1 reminds me of Donald Byrd's "I'm Tryin' to Get Home" session.

I'll need to hear that, though not something I'm familiar with

Okay, I've tried. I really really tried. I guess there's still a lotta month left and maybe reading the comments will put some different angles on this, but.... I have yet to make it all the way through one song without hitting the "next" button. Either because it's too noisy or too repetitive or it could be that I'm just being a pissy little jazz snob. But I'm not giving up, and hopefully by month's end, I'll have something more than "NMCOT" and "DKDC" and "WTF???" :lol:

Uh, Oh...

I love literally every song on this BFT. This is one of the most enjoyable and interesting BFTs of all time, to me. I am not having much luck identifying any of the musicians, except for Track #8, which I was able to identify by artist, composer and song. I am playing this BFT for pleasure in the car, repeatedly.

Big Al, did you get the same music that I did? It's interesting how different listeners can have such different reactions.

Phew!

Taste is a wonderfull thing

Edited by fent99

I think so! :) Now that I've listened to it in a much better mood, well, some opinions have changed, others haven't, but as always the usual disclaimers apply with the added bonus that I have grains of salt free for the asking to anyone who wants to take anything I say below with them! ^_^

Track 1: No clue, but very pretty. I'd listen to this again. And again!

Track 2: Sounds like a Sonny Rollins-Jim Hall collaboration, but I can only take so much high-pitched squealing. OK, guitar solo has started, so I guess it wasn't all bad. BTW, is that Blackwell on drums? Jeez, now I know what Miles was talking about when he was waiting for Trane to get it all out of his system. Thing is, when this guy isn't trying to scream his guts out, he & the guitar player mesh quite beautifully, but then he starts goin' all apeshit and it gets painful. But here it is the 11:35 mark and I can't NOT skip to the next track! Curiosity has once again killed this kat! Another guitar solo, I hope this was fun to watch cuz it's just noise to me. Wait a minute: is this Pat Metheny? Been listening all this time and didn't even NOTICE??? I haven't been this flustered by a BFT track since JSngry put that long Weather Report track on his BFT ages ago and I thought it was live Styx!!! :D

Track 3: Was going along nicely until the soprano started exploring the upper reaches of his instrument, which is about as pleasurable as listening to a mezzo-soprano sing descant after descant at octaves so far out of her range.... eh, sorry about the rant. The harmonies between the saxes are nice, though!

Track 4: Ben Webster towards the end of his life? Sounds like him, but the cliches get in the way. Hey, Mr. Piano Player: enough with the trills, k? Even the drummer sounds like he's bored with the whole thing. Maybe in a different context this would work, but man, this one is about as interesting as.... well, reading my comments about it! :cool:

Track 5: Jeeeeeez, what is it with these people and their trills??? Y'know, the notes all make sense, but they seem jumbled, random, without thought. I mean, the solo is more melodic than the theme! How backwards is that? Ah geez, spoke too soon. Does every soprano player have to pay homage to Trane's "My Favorite Things" by playing 3,845,970 notes in the space of sixteen bars? And then the piano player forgets that he's NOT McCoy and starts banging the bejabbers outta his keys. {{{sigh}}} So much for trying to do this and not be a grouch about it.

Track 6: Ooooohhh, this does not sound promising. Oops, never mind: false alarm. Has kind of a big-band Headhunters feel to it. Alright, buckle me in, let's see where we go. Okay, it's Wayne, who I normally give a lotta slack to, but my goodness, this is starting to sound like a jazz tribute to Joe Satriani! Drums sound like Elvin, but the fidelity suggests something recent. Ah what the hell do I know? Sounds like a tribute to "Africa/Brass" with electric piano (which I am REALLY digging, BTW!) and the orchestrations are beautiful; sounds like the arranger took some notes from Dolphy! Getting a little too free-form for my tastes towards the end, but that electric piano coda is all kinds of nice! The flute swirls remind me of Claus Ogerman, a very nice touch!

Track 7: Ah, now this is very nice! If the soprano sax player is the leader, then I think it's pretty cool that he's the only one who doesn't solo. And I do like the trumpeter's tone! THIS is what I'm talking about: the value of a few well-placed notes! REALLY loving the piano comping, too. Gonna be VERY interested to find out who this is!

Track 8: Nice. Don't know that I'd come back to it, but I can sure find a heckuva lot more to enjoy in this track than gripe about, and at this point that's good enough for me!

Track 9: Ahhh! My kinda grooove! Love the brassy sassy tone of the trumpet!

Track 10: Whoa! This one just floated by on a cloud of absolute beauty! Actually serves as a nice segue into the next track...

Track 11: My first thought about thirty seconds in was , "Oh please please please PLEASE let this all be as beautiful as it started...." Which it was, BTW! Indescribably sublime until it got kinda noisy at around the 2:45 mark. Did a bumblebee fly into the studio? But then it settled down and my oh my what a DELIGHTFUL way to end the BFT! This track alone made it worth coming back for!

Glad I stuck it out! So, yeah Ptah: I'm pretty sure we got the same music! :lol:

Glad you stuck it out too. Liking the fact there were some things to enjoy and sorry some things seemed to frustrate

Track 1: I've listened to this again and again certainly!

Track 2: Love the commentary!

Track 3: Surprised by the comments to this (not just by yourself) since I thought the sax player was a bit of a sacred cow...

Track 4: Good ears in picking out the Piano player. Not maybe the best suited and he definitely has other things on his mind for the future

Track 5: Your comments are fair enough though something in this gets me

Track 6: Claus Ogerman, might be a bit harsh (though I'm no expert on him) Glad you love the keys too

Track 7: Sleeper fave on this bft I think

Track 8: As stated earlier something to like even with the accordion (sic)

Track 9: Probably the groove that gets me too!

Track 10: In total agreement here

Track 11: Something special here and very private too. Glad you like it

Too bad I have none.... ;)

I think you have lots!

Thanks for the great insight.

Track 6: Ooooohhh, this does not sound promising. Oops, never mind: false alarm. Has kind of a big-band Headhunters feel to it. Alright, buckle me in, let's see where we go. Okay, it's Wayne, who I normally give a lotta slack to, but my goodness, this is starting to sound like a jazz tribute to Joe Satriani! Drums sound like Elvin, but the fidelity suggests something recent. Ah what the hell do I know? Sounds like a tribute to "Africa/Brass" with electric piano (which I am REALLY digging, BTW!) and the orchestrations are beautiful; sounds like the arranger took some notes from Dolphy! Getting a little too free-form for my tastes towards the end, but that electric piano coda is all kinds of nice! The flute swirls remind me of Claus Ogerman, a very nice touch!

Actually, Dolphy took some notes from the arranger !

OK, I'll try the first half for now:

1. I'm not a big fan of the recent trend of having a voice oo-ing along with the band. But this is well-done. The melody stands up to repetition. I wouldn't mind hearing more from this band and this composer.

2. I keep thinking Charles Lloyd, in good form. Beautiful head. An eclectic guitar solo by someone who's paid attention to Mr. Metheny but isn't him. The bass solo is very strong. On the second go-round, the tenor seems to change direction every chorus. Impressive.

3. A good waltz tune and a good performance. The soprano is a little bit florid, but it really works.

4. I know I've heard thiu! It's a Prestige or Swingville or Moodsville record, right? Al Sears? Jimmy Forrest? Jaws in a subdued mood? Such control of the horn! I'm gonna be really bothered by this until it's identified.

5. No guess, but I have a feeling I should be able to ID the tune if not the performer.

6. "Priestess" was ID'd earlier. Everybody should know about this wonderful album, even if Gil's trio of piccolos gives me severe "Stars and Stripes Forever" flashbacks.

Great comments and some positive Id's

2. Charles Lloyd it is. Not his usual guitarist which I think adds something and makes it hard to call?

4. Another ID; Jimmy Forrest here, so don't be too bothered!

Track 3: Was going along nicely until the soprano started exploring the upper reaches of his instrument, which is about as pleasurable as listening to a mezzo-soprano sing descant after descant at octaves so far out of her range.... eh, sorry about the rant. The harmonies between the saxes are nice, though!

Track 3: Surprised by the comments to this (not just by yourself) since I thought the sax player was a bit of a sacred cow...

I'm surprised as well, because this guy actually IS one of my sacred cows! A little embarrassed to say the least! :winky:

Track 4: Ben Webster towards the end of his life? Sounds like him, but the cliches get in the way. Hey, Mr. Piano Player: enough with the trills, k? Even the drummer sounds like he's bored with the whole thing. Maybe in a different context this would work, but man, this one is about as interesting as.... well, reading my comments about it! :cool:

Track 4: Good ears in picking out the Piano player. Not maybe the best suited and he definitely has other things on his mind for the future

Um.... thanks? :D I don't know who it is, but I was definitely picking ON the guy! :lol:

Track 6: Claus Ogerman, might be a bit harsh (though I'm no expert on him) Glad you love the keys too

FWIW, the Ogerman comparison was a positive one. I generally love Claus Ogerman, particularly his work with Antonio Carlos Jobim and Wes Montgomery (but not so much his work with George Benson). And yes, I do love a good electric piano! :)

I've listened to this music several times now, so it's time to weigh in. As usual, I haven't read anything in this thread.

1. Thats a beautiful sound at the beginning saxophone section with soprano voice. As American presidential candidate Herman Cain would say, "Ive got no facts to back this up," but this sounds like a movement from a longer piece. Nice writing, in any case.

2. The tenor players somewhat hollow sound seems very familiar to me, but I cant come up with who it is. The guitar playing reminds me of John Scofields early style. In any case, this has good post-Coltrane playing all around. And the audience really appreciates it.

3. This is the title track from the album Something More by Buster Williams. I recognized Wayne Shorter right away, but it didnt sound like a Shorter composition, and I pretty quickly figured out where it was from. Herbie Hancocks occasional overly pretty synth sounds annoy me, but except for that, this is excellent music.

4. Wow nice preaching! I feel like I should know who/what this is, but I dont. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though.

5. Two very accomplished and imaginative players, whoever they are. I like the fact that they used this take, even though the soprano player stumbled a little when he went into the upper register. Jazz ain't supposed to be perfect.

6. This is from one of my favorite Gil Evans albums Masabumi Kikuchi and Gil Evans, recorded in Tokyo in 1972. Evans brought over two of his soloists, Hannibal Peterson and Billy Harper, and made a record with a great Japanese band. The tune is Billy Harpers Priestess, featuring the composer. I love the flute writing here; theres a passage with alto flutes, later a piccolo section, then a section with bass flutes. Presumably thats Kikuchi playing the piano solo; I dont know which of the two Japanese alto players contributes the excellent alto solo. The great Masahiko Togashi is one of the drummers, I believe. Great, great, great!

7. Well, the soprano sax and trumpet are never heard at the same time, which makes me think that theyre played by the same person. And that makes me think of Ira Sullivan, who is accomplished on those instruments (and more), and who seems to have an affinity for ¾ time. This is good, although I wish he would have stretched out on the saxophone a little bit.

8. One of my favorite Carla Bley tunes, Ida Lupino. I dont know this recording, but it sounds like it might be Enrico Rava on trumpet and Steve Swallow on one of the basses. Dont know the accordionist. This is a good one.

9. What an odd-sounding recording job. A slightly odd piece, too. I like the fiery trumpet solo, even if the player sounds like his in the next room. The guitar and bass solos didnt do as much for me. Or is that second solo played a six-string bass guitar or something like that? Anyway, this was probably my least favorite selection in the BFT, although it wasnt bad.

10. John Surman in his English countryside mode, it sounds like. Beautiful soprano tone, and individual, too, on an instrument on which it is difficult to get an personal sound.

11. This develops in a very interesting way. It made a lot more sense to me when I listened a second time. Ive got no idea who it is, but Im looking forward to finding out more about it.

Good stuff - thanks for putting together this BFT.

Sorry its taken so long to post comments. Time as ever is tight...

Great comments and some Ids

1. "this sounds like a movement from a longer piece" exactly right

2. "guitar playing reminds me of John Scofields early style". Right again. I think that the sax player away from his usual recording sound sounds fresher and more alive here than on the cds I've heard. Heard an interview with him recently and love his way with words...

3. Well spotted. I love this kind of playing by Shorter. It reminds me of some of his work on recent (ish) Joni Mitchel albums and is always a treat to hear

5. "Jazz ain't supposed to be perfect" good comment too, its from a promo release so maybe a radio session or some such?

6. "Great, great, great!" Agreed!

7. "Well, the soprano sax and trumpet are never heard at the same time, which makes me think that theyre played by the same person." Afraid not, that would be something!

8. "One of my favorite Carla Bley tunes, Ida Lupino. Mine too and you're pretty close with Rava but he's been Id'd elsewhere. Your comment on the last one might help with the squeezebox

9. Fair enough too. Something about this I love it got under my skin and I found myself humming the tune for months

10. John Surman of course.

11. Very personal 'inward looking' playing? A little obsessed with this guy at the moment

Thanks for the cool comments

I'm loving how the bft is validating and challenging what I listen to. :)

Edited by fent99

Um.... thanks? :D I don't know who it is, but I was definitely picking ON the guy! :lol:

Since he's been identified finding his famous sideman should explain this

Since he's been identified finding his famous sideman should explain this

Wow, if that is Joe, then yes that DEFINITELY explains a lot!

Time to finish what I started many days ago...

7. Nice soprano sound. The head is OK but doesn't go very far; does a good job of facilitating blowing, though. Piano solo OK, and the spot of drums backed by the rest of the band is tasty (I wish more bands did this). The trumpet (or flugel?) solo is pleasantly spare.

8. Accordion, or the more I listen, bandoneon? It sounds like a message from ECM land. Nylon-string guitar? Trumpet solo really works. I'm liking this a lot.

9. The head has a couple of nice twists. Though I've never heard him in a context like ths, for some reason the trumpet solo keeps reminding me of Howard McGhee. Lovely, dreamy guitar with a little Django in the delivery. Better to have a rough recording of this than none at all. Another great choice.

10. No guess on the performer, but I'll guess ECM for the echo. Love the coda, a musical question mark. The theme of this BFT is Sopranos That Don't Suck, right?

11. Some serious stream-of-consciousness piano. Never lapses into flailing at the keyboard. I'll guess it's a European who's spent a lot of time over Debussy and Ravel scores. Superb.

Some really good listening here! Thank you!

Time to finish what I started many days ago...

7. Nice soprano sound. The head is OK but doesn't go very far; does a good job of facilitating blowing, though. Piano solo OK, and the spot of drums backed by the rest of the band is tasty (I wish more bands did this). The trumpet (or flugel?) solo is pleasantly spare.

8. Accordion, or the more I listen, bandoneon? It sounds like a message from ECM land. Nylon-string guitar? Trumpet solo really works. I'm liking this a lot.

9. The head has a couple of nice twists. Though I've never heard him in a context like ths, for some reason the trumpet solo keeps reminding me of Howard McGhee. Lovely, dreamy guitar with a little Django in the delivery. Better to have a rough recording of this than none at all. Another great choice.

10. No guess on the performer, but I'll guess ECM for the echo. Love the coda, a musical question mark. The theme of this BFT is Sopranos That Don't Suck, right?

11. Some serious stream-of-consciousness piano. Never lapses into flailing at the keyboard. I'll guess it's a European who's spent a lot of time over Debussy and Ravel scores. Superb.

Some really good listening here! Thank you!

Thanks for the comments on the second half!

7. "the spot of drums backed by the rest of the band is tasty" Tasty is right. Been loving this band for a while now since a friend turned me on to them

8. "bandoneon?" I think it is bandeon though he plays accordion too (as well as trumpet...)

9. Interesting comparisons and good to know what others tink of this. Likewise its good to have somethings preserved even pretty lo fi rather than never to have heard them

10. "ECM for the echo. " of course The theme being "Sopranos That Don't Suck", might be right but since I had no idea I was so soprano obsessed?

11. "I'll guess it's a European who's spent a lot of time over Debussy and Ravel scores." Interesting; not european and I don't know about his interest in european music (maybe someone can enlighten me?)definitely a stream-of-consciousness piece and he's always got something to say

Late to the party, as always in recent months, but here's my take on BFT 91:

# 1 - Very nice starter, took me a while to hear there's a voice along with the horns, beautiful writing, just much too short. I get the idea this is supposed to be an overture, but I'd really like to hear more!

# 2 - That tenor sounds familiar. Strong Coltrane influences. Now who played like this with a guitar in the band? Guitar player shows Scofield as well as Metheny influences, paces himself nicely. I like this, much to my surprise. These players all know how to hold back in the right place and not overplay. Well, could this be a Scofield live track with Lovano? If so, I like this a lot more than any of their studio recordings ... I like the way they take it up and down. Yeah ... Who is this?

# 3 - An almost fragile soprano sound, I should know who this is ....

# 4 - Now some familiar tenor sound, but I just cannot pin it down ... Gene Harris on piano?

# 5 - Nice waltz tune - could be I have heard this before. Oh - nice how they slide into some Jitterbug Waltz paraphrase. I like this - these two players are real free spirits! Who are they?

# 6 - Gil Evans Orchestra - Priestess, Billy Harper's great tune - an absolutely fantastic piece, one of my favourites in Evans' discography! *****

IIRC this was on Evans' LP with Masabumi Kikuchi.

# 7 - I don't like this trumpet player - a trifle flat, and not a very expressive tone, in my ears. This track doesn't move me, especially after that stunning Billy Harper solo in the preceding track.

# 8 - Carla Bley's Ida Lupino on accordion ... this tempo is too fast, makes the piece lose it's unique quality. Paul Bley's solo version hits the only right tempo.

# 9 - Doesn't do very much for me ... a bit pedestrian, sloppy intonation. Conga is tuned way too high.

# 10 - Nice sound on soprano, expressive but not exaggerated - who is this?

# 11 - Strangely tuned piano, at least tuned differently in comparison to the soprano. Strange mixture of advanced harmonics and some almost New Age gestures ...

Thanks a lot for compiling, some very insteresting tracks among them!

p.s. edited for a typo

Edited by mikeweil