October 4, 2011: several Mosaics are running low

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Al Cohn/Perkins/Kamuca The Brothers is on Last Chance now.

ahhhh crap. I don't have it.

I like the players on it, but has anyone heard it? Been diggin' it?

Nothing spectacular, but nice. It's always good to hear Cohn and Kamuca.

Yeah... agreed. But both have made better sessions, too.

The Al Cohn/Perkins/Kamuca The Brothers is on Last Chance now.

ahhhh crap. I don't have it.

I like the players on it, but has anyone heard it? Been diggin' it?

Nothing spectacular, but nice. It's always good to hear Cohn and Kamuca.

Yeah... agreed. But both have made better sessions, too.

I love the arrangement of "Blue Skies" on this cd.

• 1 month later...

The J.J. Johnson single is on last chance now.

If you like big band music and/or J.J. Johnson, get this NOW! The arrangements are great, the band(s) are FANTASTIC (comprised of first call NY musicians) and the remastered sound quality is STUNNING. :tup

Of the Mosaic singles, I like this and the 2 Duke Ellington ones the most.

I might just order another one so I have a backup :crazy:

You'll love the Cosmic Scene too, Paul Gonsalves is amazing on Body and Soul, the double time section is amazing. This record was done at the 30th St. Columbia studio, so the sound quality is great. Clark Terry and Jimmy Hamilton sound very nice here too. Not to mention the rhythm section :w

I have not gotten the Slide Hampton CD yet. Let us know when you get your shipment and your review!

I bit. How many times I'll chew remains to be seen, but I've been a on bit of a big band kick-jag the last few weeks, and this looks good for at least a few listens.

1. El Camino Real © 4:09

(J. J. Johnson)

2. Stolen Moments (B) 5:51

(Oliver Nelson)

3. Train Samba © 6:48

(Gary McFarland)

4. Swing Spring (B) 3:45

(Miles Davis)

5. Bemsha Swing (A) 3:11

(T. Monk-D. Best)

6. My Little Suede Shoes (A) 4:53

(Charlie Parker)

7. So What (A) 4:22

(Miles Davis)

8. Stratusphunk (A) 6:46

(George Russell)

9. Winter's Waif © 5:05

(Gary McFarland)

10. Ally (B) 5:43 *

(Tom McIntosh)

11. Supplication (B) 4:15 *

(Tom McIntosh) * previously unissued bonus tracks

(A) Clark Terry, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, bass trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax; Jerome Richardson, tenor sax, baritone sax, flute; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

(B) Thad Jones, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, bass trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute, alto flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax; Ray Beckenstein, baritone sax, bass clarinet, flute; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

© Jimmy Maxwell, Joe Wilder, trumpets; Thad Jones, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, Tom Mitchell, bass trombones; Jimmy Buffington, French horn; Bill Stanley, tuba; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute, alto flute; Harvey Estrin, soprano sax, alto sax, clarinet, flute, alto flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax, clarinet; Budd Johnson, baritone sax, bass clarinet; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

Arranged by Oliver Nelson (2), Gary McFarland (3 & 9), Tom McIntosh (10 & 11) and J.J. Johnson (all others).

Edited by JSngry

The Hampton really looks good - I have one of the bonus tracks on the compilation which was its first issue, and know it is good.

1. Fump 5:19

(Slide Hampton)

2. Lover 5:03

(R. Rodgers-L. Hart)

3. Like Someone In Love 8:22

(J. Burke-J. Van Heusen)

4. Gallery Groove 4:26

(Slide Hampton)

5. Our Waltz 5:18

(David Rose)

6. It's All Right With Me 3:30

(Cole Porter)

7. Stella By Starlight 3:07

(V. Young-N. Washington)

8. The Drum Suite (parts I-V) 6:53

(Slide Hampton)

9. Well You Needn't 5:44 *

(Thelonious Monk)

10. Sleigh Ride 3:14 **

(Leroy Anderson)

* bonus track, not part of original LP

** bonus track, previously unreleased

Produced by Teo Macero

Recorded at Columbia Studio A, New York City in April 1962

Produced for release by Michael Cuscuna

Mastered in 24-bit by Mark Wilder, Sony Studios

Personnel:

On "Our Waltz," "It's All Right With Me," and the drum introduction on "Stella By Starlight": Freddie Hubbard, Hobart Dotson, trumpets; Benjamin Jacobs-El, Slide Hampton, trombones; George Coleman, tenor sax; Jay Cameron, baritone sax; Tommy Flanagan, piano; Eddie Khan, bass; Max Roach, drums.

Personnel: On "Drum Suite" (part 3), "Like Someone In Love," "Fump" and "Gallery Groove": Willie Thomas, Hobart Dotson, trumpets; Benjamin Jacobs-El, Slide Hampton, trombones; Yusef Lateef, tenor sax, flute; George Coleman, tenor sax; Jay Cameron, baritone sax; Tommy Flanagan, piano; Eddie Khan, bass; Max Roach, drums.

On "Sleigh Ride", "Stella By Starlight" and "Well, You Needn't": Richard Williams, Hobart Dotson, John Bello, trumpets; Benjamin Jacobs-El, Slide Hampton, trombones; George Coleman, tenor sax; Jay Cameron, baritone sax; Tommy Flanagan, piano; Eddie Khan, bass; Vinnie Ruggiero, drums.

On "Lover" and "Drum Suite" (parts 1,2, 4 & 5): Same date and personnel as above except Max Roach replaces Vinnie Ruggiero on drums.

I like the JJ date, fine writing well recorded. I could've used some slightly more aggressive rhythm section work, though, especially the drumming. But maybe that's what JJ wanted?

But that also asks the question - there's no conductor listed, and usually you need one in the studio, just to handle cues, countoffs, cutoffs, etc, little stuff like that. Maybe JJ did it all.. Wonder if there was one, but just uncredited? Quincy Jones, perhaps?

Maybe JJ played in front of the band, facing the band, and directed with his trombone? I forget if there were any session photos in the liner notes.

I always liked this CD, but now that you say it, I do think a more agressive rhythm section would have inspired the guys a little more. And would have complimented the arrangements better.

Edited by Jazz Nut

But that also asks the question - there's no conductor listed, and usually you need one in the studio, just to handle cues, countoffs, cutoffs, etc, little stuff like that. Maybe JJ did it all.. Wonder if there was one, but just uncredited? Quincy Jones, perhaps?

Shh. Quincy will claim this one even if he wasn't anywhere near it..

Edited by David Ayers

Shh. Quincy will claim this one even if he wasn't anywhere near it..

And there will be folks who will be fine with that. :cool: