October 4, 2011: several Mosaics are running low

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't miss the Onzy Matthews Select.

The Onzy Matthews Select is great! It took repeated listens to really enjoy it. Great composer/arranger and his bands were top notch.

I see that the Jonah Jones is Last Chance, thoughts on it? Don't have it.

I love the Onzy Matthews set. Don't know about the Jonah Jones. Just listened to the sound samples liked them but not crazy about them. Might change my mind...

Don't miss the Onzy Matthews Select.

The Onzy Matthews Select is great! It took repeated listens to really enjoy it. Great composer/arranger and his bands were top notch.

I see that the Jonah Jones is Last Chance, thoughts on it? Don't have it.

I love the Onzy Matthews set. Don't know about the Jonah Jones. Just listened to the sound samples liked them but not crazy about them. Might change my mind...

I do have the Onzy, though I haven't spun it in a long time.

It appears that the Jonah Jones is also available as an MP3 download at Amazon, and that's probably the route I will take (in the next couple of weeks perhaps).

The Onzy Matthews Select is definitely worth getting. Anyone who enjoyed the Gerald Wilson big box will probably give it the thumbs up.

I haven't got the Jonah Jones single either and will possibly pass - unless someone adds a post raving about it.

Edited by sidewinder

Gotta admit I want the Jonah Jones set for nostalgia. When I was a kid and before I was into Jazz I bought several of his Capital "Muted Jazz" records. When I started learning about jazz I was surprised by his history. Similarly, I first heard of Cozy Cole when he had a recording of Topsy on the hit parade in the '50s. (Actually I think the hit was "Topsy Pat 2" the flip side of a 2 part record that had his drum solo.

Another HUGE thumbs up [:tup :tup :tup] for the Tolliver set. This stuff is SO good!

I was a little underwhelmed by Onzy, actually. I gave it a few listens expecting to have that Gerald Wilson-like energy, and it just didn't hold up for me throughout. There were some nice moments, but ultimately I ended up trading it.

The Jonah Jones is gone.

I guess last chance, truly means last chance! Here today, gone tomorrow. I didn't bite the bullet, the music samples sounded nice, but I have a ton of music and this was lower on the priority list to purchase. I will certainly remember once something goes on last chance to buy! It's been a while for Mosaic to have so many sets running low. I certainly hope that means more new sets!

Edited by Jazz Nut

Sent in an order but haven't yet heard back... want the Onzy Matthews badly (and am positively surprised to see it selling so well!), have the Tolliver, want the Rich, maybe the Jones (if they had one on the side already... not sure about that, but no biggie if I miss it, have a pair of CDs and an old Capitol LP and I guess that's enough of that, really).

Edited by king ubu

For the archive:

Running Low

Classic Emarcy, Verve Small Grp Buddy Rich Sessions (#232)

The Complete Roost Johnny Smith Small Group Sessions (#216)

Al Cohn/Perkins/Kamuca - The Brothers (MCD-1003)

J.J. Johnson - J.J. (MCD-1004)

Buddy Rich - Rich In London (MCD-1009)

Mosaic Select: Charles Tolliver (MS-020)

Mosaic Select: Onzy Matthews (MS-029)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...