There's some great jazz at

medjuck

I know it's a political website but you can skip the politics -Bergian will especially want to- and go directly to http://newstalgia.crooksandliars.com/ . Type "jazz" in the search box and you'll be offered some amazing stuff.

There were a couple of Ellington concerts that even the mavens on the Duke-Lym list serve hadn't heard. I don't know who runs this site but they sure know their music.

• 2 weeks later...

A great find - thanks to the original poster.

I d'led five of the Birdland broadcasts, which fit onto 2 CDs. Played them through to glean info and was only partially successful. Perhaps someone can fill in some of the blanks. Here's what I came up with:

1. Introduction/unknown title / Without a Word of Warning / Open House /

Dutch Kitchen Bounce

Arnett Cobb & His Orchestra: Cobb (ts) with unknown tp, tb, bar, p, b, d

Night Flight / To A Wild Rose / Carnegie Horizons / Outro/unknown title

George Shearing & His Quintet: Shearing (p) with unknown vib, g, b, d

NBC “Stars in Jazz” broadcast, Birdland, NYC, July 3, 1952 24:49

2. Jet Propulsion / Black Velvet / Are You The One? / Flying Home

Illinois Jacquet & His Orchestra: Jacquet (ts) with unknown tp, bar, p, b, d

Introduction/Lullaby Of Birdland / Azure Te / Nina Never Knew / Without A Song

Wild Bill Davis Trio: Davis (org), Floyd Smith (g), Chris Columbus (d)

NBC “Stars in Jazz” broadcast, Birdland, NYC, August 1952 25:57

1. How High The Moon / Strike Up The Band / Perdido

Pete Brown Quartet: Brown (as), Reginald Ashby (p), Leonard Gaskin (b), Heyward Jackson (d)

Always / Star Dust / Rifftide/Outro

Kai Winding Sextet: Winding (tb), Kenny Dorham (tp), Jackie McLean (as), Horace Silver (p),

Gene Ramey (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d)

NBC “Stars in Jazz” broadcast, Birdland, NYC, September 2, 1952 23:57

2. Blue Velvet / I’m In The Mood For Love / I Didn’t Sleep A Wink Last Night

Arthur Prysock: Prysock (vcl) acc by unknown p

How High The Moon

Slim Gaillard Group: Gaillard (vcl, g) with unknown ts, p, b, d

NBC “Stars in Jazz” broadcast, Birdland, NYC, September 9, 1952 24:03

3. Lullaby Of Birdland/Intro / Budo / Parisian Thoroughfare / My Heart Stood Still /

Un Poco Loco

Bud Powell Trio: Powell (p), George Duvivier (b), Art Taylor (d)

Pandora / Send My Baby Back To Me / Coquette / I Laugh To Keep From Crying

Billy Eckstine: Eckstine (vcl), Bobby Tucker (p), George Duvivier (b), Sid Bulkin (d)

NBC “Stars in Jazz” broadcast, Birdland, NYC, July 1953 29:09

Edited by jay2b2

Complete set of the Jazztet at Newport

June 30, 1960

Art Farmer, Benny Golson, Bernard McKinney, Duke Pearson, Addison Farmer, Lex Humphries

It Ain't Necessarily So

The Portrait

Bean Bag

Killer Joe

Mox Nix

This is available for FLAC download from Wolfgang's Vault.

Looks like another worthwhile search is for "blues" as there are some airchecks of some early R&B, a Muddy Waters concert and others of interest.

I also notice the Messengers set with Golson and Timmons but I am guessing this was out on CD in the Swiss Radio Days series? Guess I'll need to check to make sure. Can never have enough Morgan, sayeth the Mogie Man.

I also notice the Messengers set with Golson and Timmons but I am guessing this was out on CD in the Swiss Radio Days series? Guess I'll need to check to make sure. Can never have enough Morgan, sayeth the Mogie Man.

Finally looked on AMG - the Swiss Radio Days releases were from the 1960 band with Shorter. I don't see any indication this has been issued officially but as it turns out a FLAC copy was posted almost three years ago on Dime. So no need for a 64 KB download. But if you don't do Dime or missed it, this is an excellent set.

Finally looked on AMG - the Swiss Radio Days releases were from the 1960 band with Shorter. I don't see any indication this has been issued officially but as it turns out a FLAC copy was posted almost three years ago on Dime. So no need for a 64 KB download. But if you don't do Dime or missed it, this is an excellent set.

The Swiss Radio Days series on the TCB label is legit and is offering some great music! Should be bought, not (illegally) downloaded!

http://www.tcb.ch/cms/cms.cgi?prm=Green%20Spine%20%28Swiss%20Radio%20Days%20Jazz%20Series%29&short=1&cfg=1&sort=a&tmpl=style|style|id&list=style|artist|catnr

There are a few there that I still need...

• 3 weeks later...

The Swiss Radio Days series on the TCB label is legit and is offering some great music! Should be bought, not (illegally) downloaded!

http://www.tcb.ch/cms/cms.cgi?prm=Green%20Spine%20%28Swiss%20Radio%20Days%20Jazz%20Series%29&short=1&cfg=1&sort=a&tmpl=style|style|id&list=style|artist|catnr

There are a few there that I still need...

Only noticing this now .. Ubu I never implied that the TCB releases shouldn't be bought if its possible to get it elsewhere. The Dime set isn't what they put out but anyone interested in the show that is on the crooks site should seek out what was available on Dime for much better sound.

• 2 weeks later...