Bridge Records Article

paul secor

Thanks. Interesting, back when I lived near NYC I attended several concerts featuring David Starobin. I even heard him and George Crumb perform Mundis Canis (at Manhattan School of Music), a work later released on Bridge. I've purchased several Bridge CDs, all contemporary music.

some Bridge is superb, some-- often in standard rep-- is pointless save as artist promotion... which isn't a bad thing entirely, makes more people feel part of something ongoing, not just a long dive down some collector's $1 bin down below asscrack, which itself is infinitely more lauadable than the fraud being perpetrated by an outfit like Pristine... i forget the mediocre Bridge cds BUT Anne-Marie McDermott's Prokofiev sonata cycle is laudable.

http://www.bridgerecords.com/catpage.php?call=9298A/C

Ya'll tell me if Primakov's Mozart really rates.

http://www.amazon.com/Primakov-Plays-Mozart-Concertos-Vol/dp/B003JYOFSM

still, I'm glad there's Bridge, Albany, Mode et al keeping on in these ludicrous times.

Larry do you listen to Langgaard much

I don't know the whole of the Bridge catalog, but I think their Elliot Carter series and George Crumb series (still making up my mind on Crumb) are important contributions.

I've also been recently attracted to the music of Poul Ruders, a Danish composer. Heard an interview with Ruders, with a fair sampling of his music, on a NJ public radio channel, and I found both the composer and his music tart, challenging and intelligent. Bridge has a Ruders series of course. Who else would venture on that?

9336.jpg

I don't know the whole of the Bridge catalog, but I think their Elliot Carter series and George Crumb series (still making up my mind on Crumb) are important contributions.

I've also been recently attracted to the music of Poul Ruders, a Danish composer. Heard an interview with Ruders, with a fair sampling of his music, on a NJ public radio channel, and I found both the composer and his music tart, challenging and intelligent. Bridge has a Ruders series of course. Who else would venture on that?

9336.jpg

The Carter series is excellent, particularly Vol 7 (?) the one with the cello concerto, the ASKO concerto, etc. Great performances (Oliver Knussen conducting),great music (astonishing for a composer who was quickly approaching 100 when these pieces were written). Vol 8 is a little more uneven, but the horn concerto in particular is a winner. BTW Carter seems to be still active composing (Is it 102 in December?) and I look forward to vols 9 and onward. I'm glad that Bridge are doing this, and can't imagine who else would.

On another note, Algonquin (Mat Maneri + Cecil) is another winner. Very interesting and successful chemistry, with both of them drawn a bit out of their comfort zones (not that comfortable is a word that usually springs to mind with Cecil...)

On another note, Algonquin (Mat Maneri + Cecil) is another winner. Very interesting and successful chemistry, with both of them drawn a bit out of their comfort zones (not that comfortable is a word that usually springs to mind with Cecil...)

I think so too, I just bought this a few days ago. When the CD is done playing, I find myself wanting more.