Keystone Korner bio

SF Chronicle Review/Article

And we missed the book release party...at City Lights, no less! book release party

Four pre-order sources, apparently: Barnes and Noble, Overstock, Buy.com, Deep Discount. Buy.com is cheapest at $24.35+$2.90 shipping.

Haven't missed it........it's 10/19 - hasn't happened yet!

Holy smokes, what's today? Where am I? Thanks for setting me straight. I'm recalibrating my sundial.

Edited by BeBop

Does it follow the recent trend of exhaustive biographage and give us a detailed history of the property itself and others that preceded it on that location?

In a related story:

I knew that a police station was next door (across a alley), but Kenny Barron opened my eyes this Summer on how it relates to the name of the club: Keystone Korner - Keystone Kops.

Todd is really out there!

It was a strip club/bar before:

"The Keystone Korner at 750 Vallejo Street opened in the late 1960's taking over from a bar/club which had operated in the same building. It became a rock venue in 1969 initially providing a weekly venue for Mike Bloomfield. It's popularity grew over the next couple of years at which time the owner, Freddie Herrera, took over a larger club in Berkeley which he named the Keystone Berkeley. The Keystone Korner was sold to Todd Barkan who turned it into a jazz club. It continued as one of the Bay Areas finest jazz venues until closing in 1983."

And:

"Freddie Herrera opened a club called the Keystone Korner at 750 Vallejo Street in San Francisco. The club was just a few blocks off of the "entertainment" district on Broadway. It had previously been a rock club called DenoCarlo's, and various local bands had played there in 1968, including a regular Monday night residency for Berkeley's Creedence Clearwater Revival. Herrera took over the club in 1969 and tried to make it into a topless dancing place, but it was too far from Broadway to capture the tourists and sailors. Fortuitously, Nick Gravenites wandered in, and he was looking for a club that he could use for various ends.

As a result, starting in mid-1969, The Keystone Korner became a rock club, often featuring various expatriate Chicagoans who had relocated to San Francisco, including Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop. Bloomfield and Gravenites played there almost every other weekend from September 1969 through March 1970, and the little venue was sort of like their clubhouse."

Edited by marcello

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the book, but haven't broken into it yet. Looks like lots of interesting stuff, for sure.

According to the book's 'liner notes', the CD includes:

Jitterbug Waltz, Rahsaan (Bright Moments)

Pursuit, McCoy Tyner (Atlantis)

Ginseng People, Woody Shaw (Live: Vol 3)

Antabus, Dexter (Nights at the Keystone Korner, Vol 1)

Polka Dots & Moonbeams, Bill Evans (Last Waltz)

Joy Spring, Stan Getz (The Dolphin)

My Foolish Heart, Cedar Walton (Among Friends)

In Walked Bud, Art Blakey (Keystone 3)

Got the book, but haven't broken into it yet. Looks like lots of interesting stuff, for sure.

According to the book's 'liner notes', the CD includes:

Jitterbug Waltz, Rahsaan (Bright Moments)

Pursuit, McCoy Tyner (Atlantis)

Ginseng People, Woody Shaw (Live: Vol 3)

Antabus, Dexter (Nights at the Keystone Korner, Vol 1)

Polka Dots & Moonbeams, Bill Evans (Last Waltz)

Joy Spring, Stan Getz (The Dolphin)

My Foolish Heart, Cedar Walton (Among Friends)

In Walked Bud, Art Blakey (Keystone 3)

I had read somewhere that this book's accompanying CD was to contain a mix of released and unreleased tracks. Thanks for confirming there isn't any unreleased material included. Much appreciated.

John

Vancouver