Jackie McLean Prestige vs Jackie McClean Blue Note POLL

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jackie on "Help" and "Beau Jack" from "Jackie McLean and Co." -- it's like he's opened up a vein, if that image isn't too creepy. Those performances just floored me back in the day, and they still do -- didn't think or know that musical/emotional expression of that sort was possible, though there was the example of Pee Wee Russell "Stuyvesant Blues" with Max Kaminsky (Jazztone).

I am with Larry here 100%. Two marvelous tunes from an album I would not want to be without.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The discussion thus far has been about Jackie's Prestige vs. Blue Note albums with some referring to his Steeplechase output.

The first Jackie McLean album I bought was his October 1955 session on the Ad Lib label. This was Jackie's very first album as leader.

I bought it on LP when it was initially released. I later sold it for a lot of money and replaced it with a Fresh Sound CD.

I have always had a warm spot in my heart for that one along with George Wallington at the Cafe Bohemia from September 1955.

Those two albums were what seriously turned me on Jackie's playing. I had heard him on the earlier Miles Davis - Dig - album, but it was the other two

that made me a true fan of McLean.

Another early album apart from Prestige was Jackie's December 1957 - Fat Jazz - on Jubilee. Had that on LP but now have it on

Fresh Sound too.

As has been said by others, the rough edges on these early McLean sessions I mentioned above as well as the albums on

Prestige and the sideman dates with Blakey had an emotional gut wrenching quality that was, for me, something very special.