Johnny Hartman

Soulstation1

0001110501762_500X500.jpg

i luv this cover

johnny should have his own thread, he doesn't seem to have one

what cds must i obtain?

i only have the trane disc and the hartman collection 1947-72.

songs i really like

i see your face before me, the very thought of you and every song with trane.

mccoy's playin' on lush life is nicccceeee

i'm probably gonna get the unforgettable cd next.

anyone ever see him perform live?

he should have done a recording session with ella

ss1

Edited by Soulstation1

I myself am a big fan of the small group stuff he did. The more pop-oriented bigband/hollywood stuff often sounds a bit dated and isn't always to my taste.

Anyhow, I would say you definitely need the album you posted the cover of.

The version of Lush Life on the album with Trane represents THE definitive version to me. If it isn't in Hartman's phrasing (where it already is), it's definitely in Trane's solo. During the sax solo, not only the tempo is doubled, but the crying urgency and intense beauty of the lyrics as well. That is no small feat. One of the best solos Trane did IMHO.

That's a great photo of Hartman by Charles Stewart but the man died of lung cancer in 1983 :angry:

All that smoking does not seem to have damaged his voice. I love Hartman. The album with Coltrane is a treasure island record.

Another Hartman Coltrane-connected album that I cherish is the album he recorded in Japan in 1972 'For Trane'. This was included in the 'For Trane' CD that Michael Cuscuna reissued in 1995 for Blue Note. The only minus on that album is the absence of John Coltrane.

The BeeHive stuff that made it to The Bridges Of Madison County soundtrack is superb as well. Also, the Bethlehem STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART is pretty good, but Hartman's not quite fully matured yet, at least not to my ears.

One thing you GOT to get, though, is the Roost/Blue Note AND I THOUGHT ABOUT YOU. If you dig Hank's version of "There's A Lull In My Life", you'll dig hearing this version too. But the whole album is really nice.

Hey, brownie beat me to it! This is a great album, IMHO, recorded with only-Japanese musicians. Though AMG only gives it 21/2 stars.

AMG probably did not like it because Hartman has Japanese musicians with him. But they do very well. And Hartman is superb!

I'll also second Jim's mention of the Beehive album. Great tunes and great musicians all around (Joe Wilder and Frank Wess notably).

I'm not bothering with AMG to find out if it's worth anything. That's another superb LP from Beehive!

Do not ever forget to hear four takes Hartman did with Dizzy's Big Band in late 1940's.

Much smoother, completely different voice than on albums with Trane and albums on Bethlehem label.

B)

Dont really know what to think about "For Trane" album that I own. The Japanese musicians were quite good, but I think Hartman's voice (to be precise: his sense for intonation) begun to fall. But memorial content of this moves me every time I am playing it. Anyway, despite 2 1/2 stars I enjoy it, as well as other albums he did.

And I hate those stars in reference guides to music records! :angry:

Edited by mmilovan

Do not ever forget to hear four takes Hartman did with Dizzy's Big Band in late 1940's.

Much smoother, completely different voice than on albums with Trane and albums on Bethlehem label.

Not that different IMO, but I wouldn't have believed he scatted so well before I heard them!

The album cover that started this thread depicts my all time favourite Johnny Hartman CD - I love it even more than the one with Coltrane; Illinois Jacquet is a perfect foil for Johnny on this. Go get it, soul station!

• 7 years later...

Illinois Jacquet is a perfect foil for Johnny on this.

I've often wondered — just based on listening to the CD — if Jacquet was physically present for the recording of each track. His entrance and obligatos on "Charade" have always seemed strange to me, as if they were overdubbed. Sonically (and this may simply be due to the CD issue I have) he seems as if he's in another room, but his playing also seems detached from (or oblivious to) the groove Hartman has with Hank Jones and Kenny Burrell, especially from 1:47 to 1:57. Has anyone else here had this thought?

Regardless, I love this album.

When I sometimes think about dream line-ups, I wish that Bill Evans would have recorded with Hartman, if not in a small group (with Richard Davis on bass, Roy Haynes on drums), then with, say, a large group orchestrated by a young Gary McFarland.

0001110501762_500X500.jpg

i luv this cover

johnny should have his own thread, he doesn't seem to have one

what cds must i obtain?

i only have the trane disc and the hartman collection 1947-72.

songs i really like

i see your face before me, the very thought of you and every song with trane.

mccoy's playin' on lush life is nicccceeee

i'm probably gonna get the unforgettable cd next.

anyone ever see him perform live?

he should have done a recording session with ella

ss1

I'd get the one you posted the cover of and really any one really backed by a small group. The material and players are top-notch and how can you go wrong with that velvet on top? I can't remember exactly but on The Voice That Is and Just Dropped By (I used to have them on 2 sides of a cassette) there were Hank Jones (which probably means also Osie Johnson and The Judge), Jim Hall, Howie Collins (I think)and maybe Kenny Burrell on guitars. Not too shabby. I seem to remember Paul Quinchette also. Besides the ballads that he owns every time out I loved what he did with the movie theme A Slow Hot Wind and Joey Joey Joey (with bongoes?).

Also look into All of Me. With a good big band and possibly on a major label. I wish I had more specifics on all these, but I'm getting old and CRS is definitely kicking in.

I never heard him sing live but he walked into a joint I was in once in the early 80s, a defunct jazz piano bar called the West Boondock under a sort of trestle on W. 17th and 10th Ave. Duke Jordon and Sadik Hakim used to play there and they had good soul food. Mr. Hartman definitely seemed 'in his cups', in fact he barely could walk in there. I'm glad he had a good time.

"All of Me" is on Bethlehem, mostly with Frank Hunter's orchestra (w/strings), but a few cuts have a jazzier band with sidemen including Howard McGhee, Anthony Ortega, Lucky Thompson, Hank Jones, Milt Hinton, Osie Johnson a.o. (arr. Ernie Wilkins).

I tend to prefer the first of Hartman's two Bethlehem albums, "Songs from the Heart" which has a small group under the helm of Ralph Sharon and Howard McGhee in charge of tasty trumpet obbligatos and solos.

My favourite so far is "I Just Dropped By to Say Hello", too (I've got the Bethlehems, the one w/Trane and "Unforgettable"). Need some more, some day...

Illinois Jacquet is a perfect foil for Johnny on this.

I've often wondered — just based on listening to the CD — if Jacquet was physically present for the recording of each track. His entrance and obligatos on "Charade" have always seemed strange to me, as if they were overdubbed. Sonically (and this may simply be due to the CD issue I have) he seems as if he's in another room, but his playing also seems detached from (or oblivious to) the groove Hartman has with Hank Jones and Kenny Burrell, especially from 1:47 to 1:57. Has anyone else here had this thought?

Yes, it sounds strange. I think this is due to two aspects: 1. Jacquet is not playing obligato in a way you'd expect him, as a second, supporting voice to Hartman, but rather as if the singer weren't present, with no regard to him. Not a simpler second line, or filling the gaps, completely his own part. 2. RVG recorded the sax and band "dry", closely miked, without an yroom ambience, but had some reverb or room sound on the voice - something I always hate.

Maybe Hartman was in a cabin, and Jacquet didn't hear him because Hartman was not on his headphones? In any case, it is hard to understand why they left such an obtrusive obligato on the record. Maybe they wanted it that way?

Are there any other sessions with Jacquet accompanying a singer?

There's a reissue of very early Helen Humes, a compilation. Can't tell you the title since I heard it at a friend's house. It may be Don Byas or even Ben Webster anyway but I think it is Jacquet b/c my friend was in his big band and that may been the reason he played it. I know Chuck Wayne was on it, if that helps. I really recommend it, though, whoever's on tenor. Humes and crew are in great form.

Yes, it sounds strange. I think this is due to two aspects:

1. Jacquet is not playing obligato in a way you'd expect him, as a second, supporting voice to Hartman, but rather as if the singer weren't present, with no regard to him. Not a simpler second line, or filling the gaps, completely his own part.

2. RVG recorded the sax and band "dry", closely miked, without any room ambience, but had some reverb or room sound on the voice - something I always hate.

Maybe Hartman was in a cabin, and Jacquet didn't hear him because Hartman was not on his headphones? In any case, it is hard to understand why they left such an obtrusive obligato on the record. Maybe they wanted it that way?

In agreement here.

Jacquet even comes out of different channels on different tracks. Still makes me wonder if parts (maybe not all of them) were overdubbed.

There's a reissue of very early Helen Humes, a compilation. Can't tell you the title since I heard it at a friend's house. It may be Don Byas or even Ben Webster anyway but I think it is Jacquet b/c my friend was in his big band and that may been the reason he played it. I know Chuck Wayne was on it, if that helps. I really recommend it, though, whoever's on tenor. Humes and crew are in great form.

Here's a link to this Humes compilation. It really deserves its own thread. It is fantastic. It turns out Jacquet is not on it, but just about every heavyweight in '30s jazz was, including half the Old Testament Basie Band with Herschel and Lester. The rest of the cast is not to be believed:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6846261/a/Knockin'+Myself+Out%3A+1927-1951.htm

The Voice, That Is defines the term smooth at its most languid, laid back and listenable. With accompaniment from Hank Jones and Barry Galbraith, it's a cut above anything else Hartman ever did...yes, even the album with Coltrane, although that too remains one of my favorites. A couple of songs stick out for me. The opener, My Ship and Joey, Joey, Joey. There's something about those two that hits home every time I hear them.

• 2 years later...

Here's a link to this Humes compilation. It really deserves its own thread. It is fantastic. It turns out Jacquet is not on it, but just about every heavyweight in '30s jazz was, including half the Old Testament Basie Band with Herschel and Lester. The rest of the cast is not to be believed:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6846261/a/Knockin'+Myself+Out%3A+1927-1951.htm

Sorry I forgot to respond to your recommendation - I remember these were difficult and busy days around here.

I actually have quite a bit of early Helen Humes, some tracks from that compilation included, and it's always enjoyable - will have to pull it out ...

Somebody start a Helen Humes thread, please!

• 4 weeks later...

Mikeweil, you ask: "Are there any other sessions with Jacquet accompanying a singer?"

I don't know how obscure you want to go, but I have an LP of Jacquet (with organist Milt Buckner and Jo Jones on drums) and singer Jodie Drake on a couple of tracks. It's a recording from a concert in a small Ontario town (Minden) sponsored by the local Rotary Club.

Ms. Drake was Detroit-born, but a long-time Torontonian who here, did a pretty job on a blues and Ain't Misbehavin' and Sophisticated Lady.

Details are in the Lord disco.

This might be the most unlikely Hartman sighting ever. Credited for a non-speaking part as an ambulance driver on Emergency!.

I didn't notice this at all until the final credits, but going back, I think that's him a one of the drivers @ the 26:00 point, clearly(?) visible @ 26:15 here: http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2543779865?ref_=tt_pv_vi_1