Stan Getz

sal

just playing it (courtesy of lastfm) can't really describe it but the organ setting sounds perfectly natural to me (like, in a parallel universe they would write they couldn't really imagine getz with a piano group...) but then, eddy louiss is not a typical organist either (often reminds me of an accordion player)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think Stan Getz' playing reach a much higher level in the late 60's through the 1970's, and for me, this is the prime Getz.

Certainly Sweet Rain. Dynasty.

Captain Marvel. Best of Two Worlds. Another World.

Heading into the 80's, his playing had reached such technical heights that transcend earlier works. The Dolphin. Pure Getz.

And near the end, Serenity, Anniversary.

Sure, start with the classics, particularly the 1960's Verve dates, but don't ignore his great period from 1965 to 1975 and his magnificent indian summer.

Mickey One! Definitely one of my favorites. Never get tired of listening to it. :)

Glad to see you've decided to stick around! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts about your dad (of whose music I'm a big fan), and whatever else strikes your fancy.

One of the few jazz artists to appear on the old Letterman show - playing a Kenny Barron tune. Can anyone comment on his A&M album? I've never heard it, and it seems to have disappeared.

Do you mean Apasionado? There are some inexpensive used copies available amazon.com sellers.

Getz plays wonderfully on this record. A commercially oriented record, but I find several tracks to be superb.

Yesterday I listened to Mickey One yet one more time. I like that one, it gets panned, but there's great music there.

Never heard that one. Frankly, I'm not crazy about the movie, which is perhaps why it never occurred to me to get the soundtrack, but certainly a movie can be mediocre (or just uninteresting for whatever reason) and have a good soundtrack.

Come to think of it, a good example of that is A Patch of Blue---the movie's not the greatest thing ever put on celluloid, but the Walt Dickerson album Impressions of A Patch of Blue is one of my favorite film-related jazz albums.

Im listening to Stan Getz final concert recording: 1990 at the Munich Phillarmonic Hall on Eagle Jazz. Is this really the his last concert? Did he record anything in the studio after this date?

There's also a DVD called The Last Concert but the description at Amazon calls it the "last recorded concert". This has his regular group with Kenny Barron but on a couple of tunes from Apassionado adds synths. If you like latter day Getz I recommend this DVD.

Im listening to Stan Getz final concert recording: 1990 at the Munich Phillarmonic Hall on Eagle Jazz. Is this really the his last concert? Did he record anything in the studio after this date?

There's also a DVD called The Last Concert but the description at Amazon calls it the "last recorded concert". This has his regular group with Kenny Barron but on a couple of tunes from Apassionado adds synths. If you like latter day Getz I recommend this DVD.

"The Last Recording" DVD is a must. This was recorded July 18 1990.

The music is sublime and as a bonus the camera work is great. Beautiful shots showing Stan in full flight.

As an old timer myself I love "On A Slow Boat To China" and the beautiful Johnny Mandel tune "El Cahon".

The sound is perfect. Incredible music.

Stan recorded at least two more times as far as I know.

In February 1991 with Abbey Lincoln

and his incredible performance at the Montmatre Club in Copenhagen with Kenny Barron in March 1991.

There are a few more unissued performances around that time.

Denis

Mickey One! Definitely one of my favorites. Never get tired of listening to it. :)

Bev,

Just wanted to say that I'm a HUGE fan of your dad's work. I went through a stage in the late 90s/early 2000s where I collected every Stan Getz album I could lay my hands on. I'm sure I still don't have nearly everything worth hearing, but I'm very pleased with my collection.

It must be wonderful knowing that your dad's music has touched so many lives...

I recall that no less a figure than Trane once said of Getz, "We'd all sound like that if we could."

Praise doesn't come much higher...

Bev,

Just wanted to say that I'm a HUGE fan of your dad's work. I went through a stage in the late 90s/early 2000s where I collected every Stan Getz album I could lay my hands on. I'm sure I still don't have nearly everything worth hearing, but I'm very pleased with my collection.

It must be wonderful knowing that your dad's music has touched so many lives...

I recall that no less a figure than Trane once said of Getz, "We'd all sound like that if we could."

Praise doesn't come much higher...

Wonderful Alexander! He'd be very honored.

You are right about that! Praise certainly doesn't come any higher! Rumor has it (!) :g that he and John Coltrane were highly competitive and at war with each other. In fact, it was the opposite.

Yesterday I listened to Mickey One yet one more time. I like that one, it gets panned, but there's great music there.

Never heard that one. Frankly, I'm not crazy about the movie, which is perhaps why it never occurred to me to get the soundtrack, but certainly a movie can be mediocre (or just uninteresting for whatever reason) and have a good soundtrack.

Come to think of it, a good example of that is A Patch of Blue---the movie's not the greatest thing ever put on celluloid, but the Walt Dickerson album Impressions of A Patch of Blue is one of my favorite film-related jazz albums.

It's certainly not for everyone. But I love Sauter's writing. The film is very out there. But the soundtrack is awesome. A lot of humor in it!

It was his last concert. He went to Paris in March, '91 for one more, but had to cancel as he was too ill. As Denis said, he did do two recordings, 3 months before he died. One was with Abby Lincoln - "Ya Gotta Pay The Band" & the live at Montmartre - duo with Kenny Barron, "People Time". This one is really special, as it was his 'swan song'. I couldn't listen to it for years as you can hear that his breathing is a little labored because of his health. But now I really love it. The connection that he and Kenny had was quite something. They really 'spoke' to each other.

Uploaded this tonight on Daily Motion. Some of you may enjoy it. Both clips have been around for a while, but this is slightly better quality and much more in sync.

Coltrane & Getz - Out Of Nowhere & Rifftide

(hope the link shows up! having a bit of a struggle figuring all out - not too savvy on the ole' computer!)

Uploaded this tonight on Daily Motion. Some of you may enjoy it. Both clips have been around for a while, but this is slightly better quality and much more in sync.

Coltrane & Getz - Out Of Nowhere & Rifftide

(hope the link shows up! having a bit of a struggle figuring all out - not too savvy on the ole' computer!)

Awesome (in the true sense of the word)!

I see you keep jazz musician hours, Bev... :g

Bev, How do you feel about the releases coming from Europe of live material from the sixties and beyond (not in the "fifty year copywrite" period) or the material that is legal to sell in Europe and not within the US? It would be interesting to hear your perspective.

I confess that I've bought a few lately, one of the band with Burton and one of the band with Corea and Williams. This is material I would buy again in an "official", endorsed edition, indeed.