Stan Getz

sal

Both have been mentioned but I'll add in that they are among Getz very best albums:

'The Peacocks' Stan Getz Presents Jimmie Rowles. This is a mesmerizing record. Beautiful Getz-Rowles duos (a made-in-heaven collaboration) plus Buster Williams on bass and Elvin Jones on drums!

'Dynasty', Getz at his most inspired with a great European quartet with Rene Thomas on guitar, Eddy Louiss on organ and Bernard Lubat on drums. Recorded live and all in top form!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lon, doesn't that box omit one or two stray cuts?

The albums should be "Jazz Samba", "Jazz Samba Encore", "Getz/Gilberto", "Getz/Gilberto #2" (which has more tracks, I think, then are in the box, no?), "Getz Au Go-Go" and "Getz/Almeida".

btw, Lon, can you give the complete personnel listings for the Getz/Almeida date? I got the single CD issue (late eighties), and it does list no piano player, for instance.

thanks,

ubu

I haven't compared the single releases to the box, there may be a few omissions, or rather a few discovered after the box was released, possibly.

I am quite far from my collection at the moment and unable to look into the personnel listeing but I believe the piano was by Steve Kuhn. . . .

All Music lists the personnel and seems to jibe with what I remember listed in the box set:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A7m8n1va8zzma

Also, I think the Getz/Gilberto #2 may contain Gilberto tunes that do not include Getz. . . and would not be in the box set.

And thanks again! You're right about Getz/Gilberto #2 most probably. There are several tracks without Getz, there.

Steve Kuhn! Cool. Don't ask me why I did not have the idea to check AMG myself -_-

ubu

I have only just gotten holdof the box set and I noticed that Ebony Samba appears in two versions where on the album 'Jazz Samba Encore!' it only appears once (I think).

With regard to the track 'A Tribute to Stan', I have no idea where this originally appeared (if at all). The liner notes do not list personnel for that either.

The sound is, to my ears, the same as the VME's. A little hissy maybe but generally excellent. I'm sure it must have been done around the same time.

cheers, tonym.

The Tribute to Stan apparently (if I remember the notes properly) is the only surviving track of a "lost session" that is not properly documented. A nice track indeed. . . wish there were more!

I think the sound is fine on the box set. A bit darker, thicker than the Verve Master Edition copies when I've done a comparison to the two that I have. But in some systems that is in fact a PLUS.

• 1 year later...

g35059gjtm0.jpg

Stan Getz - "My Foolish Heart: Live at the Left Bank"

w/Richie Beirach (piano), Dave Holland (bass), and Jack DeJohnette (drums)

Just picked this up from eMusic and it's smokin'. Very much in the style of the "Captain Marvel" album and this band ain't half bad, either. :tup

• 1 year later...