Stan Getz

sal

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot to like about "Focus," but at times Stan gets into that "moo-ing" bag he was prey to at that time, which (though it may be more my problem), drives me crazy.

BTW, if you want to witness the often brilliant British critic Max Harrison go batshit in plain sight, check out his entry on "Focus" in "The Essential Jazz Records, Vol. 2." The entry itself is quite good, but at one point Max homes in on Martin Williams' old review of "Focus" (reprintd in Martin's "Jazz Heritage") in which MW refers to Eddie Sauter's string writing as "derivative of Bartok." Now MW's "derivative" is bit snarky; "inspired by" would be better, but an enraged Max proceeds to say "that there is no stylistic resemblance [between Sauter's writing and Bartok's] at all," which is nuts -- and Max then adds in a sneering footnote: "Bartok's influence here is like Milhaud's on Brubeck in that it can be herad by those who do not know the composer's work yet not by those who do." Only problem is that "I'm Late, "I'm Late" is clearly based on the second movement of Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste -- a fact that is corroborated in the liner notes to the CD reissue of "Focus" by Jacob Glick of the Beaux Arts String Quartet, who played on the "Focus" date. What was Max thinking here?

I second (or third) many of the recommendations here. I don't think anyone has mentioned an enjoyable live date from the late 1970s--"Gold, Happy 50th Stan".

7c_1.JPG

Stan is joined by Joanne Brackeen, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen and Billy Hart. I especially like the version of "Cancao Do Sol" on this album.

Lots of good ones have been mentioned already, I'll repeat some of my favorites, nevertheless:

- The Complete Roost 3CD set: essential, not just for Getz, but PRETTY ESSENTIALL JAZZ, in my opinion!

How's the sound on this compared to the single Cds that saw the light of day in the late 80s. I've the Storyville (muddy) and Roost Quartet sessions (ok sound) already. Is the box worth upgrading to.

Guest donald petersen

hottah-i have seen a disc (double?) on steeplechase with a similar lineup.

i asked about it on this board and got lukewarm responses but the band did and does interest me.

i think perhaps the one i am thinking of had clint houston and not NHOP?

i asked about it on this board and got lukewarm responses but the band did and does interest me.

From what I can tell, the Stan Getz "Gold, Happy 50th Stan" on Inner City (a 2 LP set) is the same album as the Steeplechase releases "Live At Montmartre, Vol.1" and "Vol. 2".

I have more than 50 Getz albums. I can tell that this one is probably not one of "the best" from a critical analysis standpoint, but it is one of the Getz albums that I play most often. If you are interested, I would say that you should get it. It is not a compromised fusion album like some of his late 1970s material. It is a very enjoyable listen.

From what I can tell, the Stan Getz "Gold, Happy 50th Stan" on Inner City (a 2 LP set) is the same album as the Steeplechase releases "Live At Montmartre, Vol.1" and "Vol. 2".

I have more than 50 Getz albums. I can tell that this one is probably not one of "the best" from a critical analysis standpoint, but it is one of the Getz albums that I play most often. If you are interested, I would say that you should get it. It is not a compromised fusion album like some of his late 1970s material. It is a very enjoyable listen.

The Inner City release was a reissue of the SteepleChase recording. Not great but really ok material.

Lots of good ones have been mentioned already, I'll repeat some of my favorites, nevertheless:

- The Complete Roost 3CD set: essential, not just for Getz, but PRETTY ESSENTIALL JAZZ, in my opinion!

How's the sound on this compared to the single Cds that saw the light of day in the late 80s. I've the Storyville (muddy) and Roost Quartet sessions (ok sound) already. Is the box worth upgrading to.

I can't tell, never had it in another way before... and the music is so sublime ("Imagination" on disc one, for instance - whoah!) I never bothered about sound. Maybe someone else can offer some comparison?

Many folks may pass by a "cheapie" called "The Song Is You" issued on LRC, Laserlight, etc. This would be a mistake. It is one of those Sonny Lester jobs issued on a number of different labels. Quartet date from '69 with Stanley Cowell, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette. Very fine playing by all concerned.

I see it is currently on Amazon for $.99 and up.

Gonna check this one out right now

oops, gonna eat first (just got hollerd at)

then spin the LRC Getz

Edited by gslade

Many folks may pass by a "cheapie" called "The Song Is You" issued on LRC, Laserlight, etc. This would be a mistake. It is one of those Sonny Lester jobs issued on a number of different labels. Quartet date from '69 with Stanley Cowell, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette. Very fine playing by all concerned.

then spin the LRC Getz

Hope the meal is good, the wife happy and the music suits you. :)

then spin the LRC Getz

Hope the meal is good, the wife happy and the music suits you. :)

Food was good, Nik is happy (she loves Getz not all the music I listen to) good call on an affordable disc (thanks Chuck)

Might have to check out those other Sonny Lester jobs

• 2 years later...

I'm just about to pull the trigger on Dynasty, not just for Mr. Getz's playing but also for Rene Thomas's. Tough for me to imagine Getz playing with an organ combo, but should be interesting.

A trigger that should be pulled. Found a used LP copy of Dynasty sometime back in the 1970s and its been a favorite Stan Getz recording ever since (along with Sweet Rain). Those are the two Getz LPs that gripped me the strongest on first listens.

Edited by kh1958