Pat Martino

Tom Storer

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up "Remember." Very impressive so far. After the end of the "Full House," someone says (I think), "Pretty frightening, man." Yes indeed. Made me think of the Verve Jazz CEO thread: Here's a project that looks like it might be a bit cheesy -- a Montgomery tribute album -- but in fact the players are both well chosen just plain inspired, and in a way that at once pleases the intellect and will get to almost anyone who still has a pulse. And I gather that it's selling well too. One caveat: As one of the All About Jazz reviewers said, sound is more than a bit cloudy, but I could solve that to my satisfaction with tone controls (bass cut, treble boost).

I'd like Jim A. to tell the story about what Jack McDuff said to a famous blues guitarist about Martino... :)

Paging Jim, paging Jim!

Jim Alfredson, white courtesy phone!

This was relayed by an ex-bandmate of mine who worked with McDuff and McDuff told him this story. Supposedly, McDuff and Albert King were playing a double-hit at some club in Chicago. McDuff had Martino with him at the time and Martino was very young. He's always been skinny and slight, too... in stark contrast to Albert King.

I guess the two bands were trading sets. Albert's band went first. During McDuff's set, Martino was playing one of his bad-ass solos and Albert was watching from the side, next to McDuff. Jack leaned over to him and said, "That skinny little white kid is kicking your ass!"

Albert was not amused. :) McDuff kept rubbing him the whole night.

For some reason I don't think Martino ever really made a good take of Road Song. I guess you need that horn section.

Doesn't he play that on 'The Vist'-his first for the then new Muse label. I love that lp. Also a second to the advisory for 'Bar Wars' by Gatortail Jackson. Everyone smokin' on that one. Whew.

Yes, Martino does kick Albert King's ass.....that is.... until Albert bends a note.... :D

Well, I hope it is understood that the essence of the story is in no way intending to say one is better than the other. I love both Martino and Albert King's music. The great part of the story is Martino was probably 15-16 years old at the time, and the notion that Albert King would actually be pissed!

Edited by Noj

Yes, Martino does kick Albert King's ass.....that is.... until Albert bends a note.... :D

Well, I hope it is understood that the essence of the story is in no way intending to say one is better than the other. I love both Martino and Albert King's music. The great part of the story is Martino was probably 15-16 years old at the time, and the notion that Albert King would actually be pissed!

Yes, it was all in good fun Noj. And as much as I use to love Albert (sure, and still do)....I'm more of a Martino man myself these days. Also, the idea the Albert would be pissed...from what I understand that was kind of a state of mind for the man.

Yes, it was all in good fun Noj. And as much as I use to love Albert (sure, and still do)....I'm more of a Martino man myself these days. Also, the idea the Albert would be pissed...from what I understand that was kind of a state of mind for the man.

I think it's just funny that McDuff was ribbing him so.

• 1 year later...

Simply, TREMENDOUS! Great guitar player. He started coming on the scene and getting recognized when fusion was starting to take over the jazz world, but he stuck to his roots. I love that 1970's straight ahead jazz sound he gets on tunes like Impressions, Blue Bossa, and Days Of Wine and Roses. Impeccable! A true master! One of my favorite musicians period, forever!

Why does Martino play the same licks over and over and play the same 10 or so tunes at every gig?

Seems forever isn't as long as you might think!

I went to a jazz club in Philly a few years ago for a little after dinner music, I think it was the Jazz Cafe or something like that.

Pat Martino walked in right ahead of us and I recognized him but I didn't say anything. We sat down and started hearing some hot guitar from the stage and it turned out to be Jimmy Bruno and his band. Pat stood back at the bar the whole night.

Everyone at my table kept telling me I should go up and talk to Pat, but I didn't want to disturb him, but as we walked out later that night, Pat was still standing at the bar drinking a glass of wine and I decided to go up to him and thank him for all the great music he had given us over the years. He said something like "Beautiful man, thanks." I thought it was wonderful the way he responded. He wasn't self effacing, but he didn't act all full of himself either or blow me off. He was very sweet and I'll never forget that short conversation we had. I wish he'd joined Jimmy though.

I thought it was wonderful the way he responded. He wasn't self effacing, but he didn't act all full of himself either or blow me off. He was very sweet and I'll never forget that short conversation we had. I wish he'd joined Jimmy though.

Sounds like Pat. One of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet.

Simply, TREMENDOUS! Great guitar player. He started coming on the scene and getting recognized when fusion was starting to take over the jazz world, but he stuck to his roots. I love that 1970's straight ahead jazz sound he gets on tunes like Impressions, Blue Bossa, and Days Of Wine and Roses. Impeccable! A true master! One of my favorite musicians period, forever!

Why does Martino play the same licks over and over and play the same 10 or so tunes at every gig?

Seems forever isn't as long as you might think!

:g