Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

Just got this e-mail from Mosaic:

Not only do we thank you for supporting our upcoming Coleman Hawkins set but also for your patience.

The set which has been ready to go for months in terms of both music and artwork, is a particularly thorny situation for clearance as it involves very old material from multiple labels. We are still awaiting the green light from only one label and our hope is that it will be cleared in the near future. Our best guess at this point is a June release.

Unfortunately we cannot finalize a release date as this kind of delay is completely out of our control and we can only be politely persistent in pushing the good-to-go signal. We apologize for this delay, but can assure you that this set will be well worth the wait!

Regards,

Mosaic Records

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW - I was one of the original Mosaic customers, somebody who sent money in on the basis of a magazine ad. There was a fairly significant delay in getting the first batch of product out, and LTB was wondering if I had been conned. Fear not, I told her, these are good people doing good work, and if they say they've got good reason for the delay, they've got good reason for the delay.

When the BN Monk set finally arrived, she marveled at how exquisite the entire package was, just as I marveled at how thorough the research was and the then-staggering amount of additional, newly available music.

All of which to say - when the Hawkins set finally does drop, it will likely be worth every delay that went into it.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the latest from Mosaic about the Hawkins set (and hooray!):

We are finally heading to the finish line for the Coleman Hawkins set. We are in production and expect to ship the set late May/early June.

We thank you for supporting the Coleman Hawkins set, a project filled with great new transfers and a handful of amazing discoveries. And we thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Mosaic Records

I have a space already reserved on my "Mosaic shelf" for this set. Now if only I weren't purchasing other CDs as I wait for this set to jump into a cardboard box (landing on a sheet of bubble wrap), and find its way across the United States of America — from East Coast to West Coast.

What type of whisky would go well with this set? Or should a guy opt for a martini instead?

Very similar experience, ad in magazine, mail order, well worth the wait! This is going to be an amazing set whenever it is released.

Same here ... I can still remember the UPS truck delivering the first Monk set back in 1985 or so ... Christmas present to myself :)

Very much looking forward to this set ...

Late, from Eugene, Oregon, was wondering what he should be drinking while auditioning the forthcoming Hawkins set. Well, Late, Hawk always drank the most expensive cognacs which, according to his friend and admirer Ben Webster, he never ever shared. Ben told an interviewer about a visit he paid Hawk once in a hotel room (in Copenhagen, if I remember correctly) late at night, after all the bars had closed. Hawk apparently happily sipped his cognac but never once offered his obviously very thirsty friend so much as a drop.

Hawk always drank the most expensive cognacs which, according to his friend and admirer Ben Webster, he never ever shared.

Dang, that's cold! But, you've decided for me. Cognac it is. I readily admit to enjoying cognac, but knowing very little about it. Any suggestions for a mid-price selection? (Is there such a thing as budget cognac?) Unfortunately, probably the best time I'll have to listen to the set (house to myself for a couple of hours, usually) is mid to late morning — 9 to noon. Cognac might not be the best choice as result. :bwallace: Well, I do have some tasty new Gen Mai Cha green tea. Tell me that Bean liked to sip green tea before gigs! :rlol

In anticipation of this set, I sold a number of my Hawkins discs. (Not all!) I've been jones-ing for a while. But I can wait it out ... :eye: :eye:

I have had this on pre-order since they announced the set... obviously it's a relief knowing that this set will be produced. I know Mosaic has worked on this for a long time, and it should be amazing. I can't wait to hear the Esquire sessions!!!!

Hawk always drank the most expensive cognacs which, according to his friend and admirer Ben Webster, he never ever shared.

Dang, that's cold! But, you've decided for me. Cognac it is. I readily admit to enjoying cognac, but knowing very little about it. Any suggestions for a mid-price selection? (Is there such a thing as budget cognac?) Unfortunately, probably the best time I'll have to listen to the set (house to myself for a couple of hours, usually) is mid to late morning — 9 to noon. Cognac might not be the best choice as result. :bwallace: Well, I do have some tasty new Gen Mai Cha green tea. Tell me that Bean liked to sip green tea before gigs! :rlol

In anticipation of this set, I sold a number of my Hawkins discs. (Not all!) I've been jones-ing for a while. But I can wait it out ... :eye: :eye:

I think I will be enjoying a nice Laphroiag quarter cask or cask strength scotch for this release!

I think I will be enjoying a nice Laphroiag quarter cask or cask strength scotch for this release!

That's what entered my mind. Also all sorts of red wines. Or cognac. Or a hoppy local ale. Luckily there are enough discs to experiment with! :excited:

I'm not complaining about the delay at all here, other than the space I had reserved for it on the shelf has become partially filled. If only the Hawk's surname had been Zywiec. I know, his nickname wouldn't have been as catchy...The Zywiec Flys High!

Nice... I had no idea that only 2 of those sessions ever appeared on CD.. (from what I can tell reading the liner notes)... Excellent! Looking forward to it.

and for those of you like me who like to pre-order stuff (:) Mosaic is taking phone orders on the Chick Webb... :)

[Dang, that's cold! But, you've decided for me. Cognac it is. I readily admit to enjoying cognac, but knowing very little about it. Any suggestions for a mid-price selection? (Is there such a thing as budget cognac?)

Buy VSOP (very special old pale) of any brand if you can afford it. They're all good. If VSOPis too dear, I prefer Martell VSP.

No such thing a budget cognac. In this case you get what you pay for.

After the Hawk delays - I'm used to it. I've got quite a lot of stuff in the listening queue anyway... even the MJQ set...

and for those of you like me who like to pre-order stuff (:) Mosaic is taking phone orders on the Chick Webb... :)

Scott Wenzel told me the Webb/Fitzgerald won't be released until late 2012.

After the Hawk delays - I'm used to it. I've got quite a lot of stuff in the listening queue anyway... even the MJQ set...

Is Mosaic still not charging for pre-orders until they actually ship? I know they didn't in the past, but when their financials are not as strong as they may have once been, that would be a way to maintain some cash flow.

Is Mosaic still not charging for pre-orders until they actually ship? I know they didn't in the past, but when their financials are not as strong as they may have once been, that would be a way to maintain some cash flow.

They still don't charge your credit card until the order ships, but orders that use PayPal as payment option are charged when they are placed - as is always the case when PayPal is used.

They still don't charge your credit card until the order ships, but orders that use PayPal as payment option are charged when they are placed - as is always the case when PayPal is used.

Totally agree. Though, I always get excited when I see the money go out of my account, because then a Mosaic is on the way!!!! Looking forward to getting this set.