Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#945 shipped 1 month before finally arrived in Athens, Greece!! :rolleyes:

(tongue-in cheek) Glad mail is still being delivered in Greece. In all seriousness all that we hear and read over here about Greece is gloom and doom and disaster. I wonder if it's really as bad as being reported? Wrong thread, I know.

#945 shipped 1 month before finally arrived in Athens, Greece!! :rolleyes:

(tongue-in cheek) Glad mail is still being delivered in Greece. In all seriousness all that we hear and read over here about Greece is gloom and doom and disaster. I wonder if it's really as bad as being reported? Wrong thread, I know.

We are doing fine in terms of mail delivery, at least.:) Please do not believe such exaggerations. Of course recession is big as is the unemployement. But the Country operates normally. All the more since this is the summer period that contributes mainly to Greece's growth. "Summertime and the livin' is easy" this applies perfectly.

Thanks for asking,

Alex

PS: by the way I should not have been concerned for any delay, since the packing slip mentioned a shipping date of June 11, 2012 while Mosaic's "Fred" confirmed me twice a shipping date of June 1st!!

• 1 year later...

I've been going through this set lately. Great music but imho they overdid the noise reduction; that tenor sax sounds like a bit too much like a kazoo... And that's not the sound on the 78's, as can be easily heard by listening to some Coleman Hawkins 78 transcriptions on youtube.

Did any of this material receive the "Pearl" treatment (minimal to no noise reduction) anywhere?

• 6 months later...

So, i have no other Coleman Hawkins as a 'leader' in my collection other than a Naxos compilation. I've kind of had my heart set on getting this set, but it didn't seem like i'd have the money for a while. Somewhat miraculously i now have just enough money to buy it and get it shipped to me. Of course, now the cold feet strike, as i'm looking at the money and thinking "damn, i could get a lot of CDs for that money. Maybe i should just get the JSP set to cover the early years, get a few other CDs like The Hawk Flies High and then i'll have enough left over to get those new releases i've had my eye on."

So, and i sincerely hope this gets taken the right way, putting aside all considerations of PD or (highly justified) loyalty to Mosaic etc... i guess i'm not really asking whether you would get the Mosaic or get the PD sets, i guess what i want to ask is, from the viewpoint of people that know Hawk's music, is this Mosaic set awesome and does it, more or less, provide the best overall coverage of Hawk's music for the period it covers? Unless i'm a life or death completist, does this set pretty much cover it up until 1947? If i was to invest the money could i sit back safe in the knowledge that i've got the essential Hawk pretty much covered for this period in my collection? Any other thoughts on the set are welcome. Cheers.

Thanks colinmce; your input and a PM i received helped me to shake my last minute jitters... i'll be travelling next week so i'll wait until i get home to place my order; don't want to take any risks with deliveries while i'm away :)

Edit: Just wanted to share a memory that struck me as quite funny. Back in about 2006 when i was starting to get heavily in to jazz i heard about an old guy at my work who was also in to jazz. I went to talk to him all excited and asked him who he was in to; i distinctly remember him talking about Coleman Hawkins, his face screwing up in close eyed ecstasy as he talked about his playing on a particular record, and me thinking "damn, he's in to the old fogey stuff. Guess we won't really have anything to talk about afterall." Much like i really wish i could have a drink with my late grandfather and compare notes i really wish i could go back to that guy and say "Dude! Coleman Hawkins!" Not in those exact words but you know what i mean...

Edited by xybert

• 2 years later...

I pulled the trigger, and threw the Bud Freman in for a contrasting bonus. Spinning a four disc Proper Box right now to help me decide and not regret it ... will sell it after the big box arrives. Curiously, there are some amazon sellers listing at higher prices than the Mosaic box - it's a crazy world.

Edited by mikeweil

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger and bought the Coleman Hawkins set on August 25. It arrived around Labor Day. Now I see that about  a week later, it is out of stock and apparently unavailable. If so, I feel very lucky to have decided for no particular reason to buy it a few weeks ago.

Edited by Hot Ptah

I you really want it, be aggressive in your strategies. I've found it to be one of the more "necessary" Mosaics as far as telling a real story about one artist. Pretty palpable changes to follow all the way trhough, and the differences between the first cut of the first disc and the last cut of the last disc are really breathtaking if you stop to think about what all happened individually and collectively to go from there to there. And the set documents all that spectacularly.

So, basically, no, don't pay "outrageous" for it, give it while to sit and settle, but just sayin'...this is a carpe diem that won't take a whole lot of option-weighing, imo.

When stuff like this happens to me, I look at the paying more as a self-flagellation, as a punishment to myself with the purpose of DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!

Of course, hey, that only works until it doesn't. :g

• 1 month later...

I was surprised this set had been around for so long, I thought it had only been out for about 2 years or so. Gutted I missed it, but it is not always clear to me on the Mosaic website whether "last chance" is the end of the limited edition, or just the batch and they are getting more in later in the year. Now it's run the gauntlet of ebay auctions and such like.

"Last Chance" always means that. As far as I know they don't give warnings when they are down so low in stock they are about to repress. when they do run out of stock but not out of quantities they are licensed to sell. . . the status is "Backordered."

I need to revisit this set soon. These are great sessions.

Yeah...this is one that I'm really upset about missing out on. I just kept putting it off, like I do many of these sets, waiting for it to go to the 'Running Low' list...for numerous reasons. You all know the score...too many other things to spend money on, only so much money to spend. Ofcourse, by the time this one was running low, I was out of the loop and unaware...and by the time I realized it was gone, well...it was gone. 

Damnit! 

I would say "lesson learned", but...I've said that before. I will say this, though: if it's a set you really want, and you KNOW you don't want to take a chance on missing it - just buy the damn thing. Don't wait around for years and take a chance on missing it. 

Preaching to the choir here, yeah, I know, but...it makes me feel better anyway. ^_^