Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

When the state of the world gets me down, I return to this thread, just to read JSngry's review of the music on this set, and things seem a little better after. (Listening to the music helps, too.)

On 06/06/2012 at 1:00 PM, JSngry said:

Every time I listen to Fletcher Henderson charts, it amazes me that these guys played all these charts all night long. That's a lot of playing for just one chart, never mind all night, all week!

And Hawk...Jesus, I'm just finishing Disc Three, and LORD have mercy, so much tenor, so much music...and it's only 1933...35 more years of playing lie ahead, and when you hear the stories of how when the work really slowed down he chose to more or less drink/starve himself to death...it makes sense. Not to be too dramatic about it, but guys like this were true warriors. No battles to fight, no life to live.

On 06/06/2012 at 4:07 PM, JSngry said:

The duets with Buck Washington are whotally new to me...holy shit, so much tenor. Just so much tenor. And then there's the five-year gap where Hawk takes a boat away from home and then finally takes another one home and then BAM there you are in 1939, and there's all these new harmonic ideas (ideas, not "way of playing") showing up and it's like, whoa, Hawk is in the process of Beating Music At Its Own Game. I've hear a lot of this stuff in bits and pieces over the years, but to follow it chronologically all at once like this set allows is a serious mindfuck.

Holy shit! That's my review. Holy shit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...