Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is great its coming out so soon but I have to wonder about a set where all of the recordings are PD in Europe. Just as the Uptown Mingus and others, you know someone will put out the music using these transfers for a tiny fraction of the price. How much will Mosaic be hurt by that? I'm sure Michael attempted to quantify it some way.

I think this is great its coming out so soon but I have to wonder about a set where all of the recordings are PD in Europe. Just as the Uptown Mingus and others, you know someone will put out the music using these transfers for a tiny fraction of the price. How much will Mosaic be hurt by that? I'm sure Michael attempted to quantify it some way.

Mosaic have produced quite a number of sets whose contents are PD here in Europe. To my knowledge the only one that was allegedly duplicated was the Bunny Berigan. So there's hope Pre-ordered Hawk.

In the past, I maintained and anything and everything stance toward acquiring Mosaics. I've since changed my tune and have decided to stick only to sets that a) contain large amounts of material available nowhere else (Andrew Hill & Carter-Bradford Selects) or that would be almost impossible to assemble from original sources (Tal Farlow) or when this isn't necessarily the case b) artists whom are among my absolute favorite (Hank Mobley, Anthony Braxton, Gerry Mulligan). This is most certainly the latter and I will definitely be getting it.

I need to check how much overlap there is between this set and the Affinity set with all of his recordings between 1929-1941 (6 CDs), but anyway, I think this set is a must.

I bet the Mosaic will thrash the Affinity as far as sound quality, packaging and booklet go.

I need to check how much overlap there is between this set and the Affinity set with all of his recordings between 1929-1941 (6 CDs), but anyway, I think this set is a must.

I bet the Mosaic will thrash the Affinity as far as sound quality, packaging and booklet go.

I tend to agree Hans and that's why I wrote that this set is a must.

I believe on the other thread, someone found it was just under 50 tracks that overlapped with Affinity, which makes it even more of a no-brainer in my case. I just need to come up with the dosh now!

I tend to agree Hans and that's why I wrote that this set is a must.

The sound samples on the Mosaic website are VERY nice, great sound quality. I'm sure the whole set won't be at this level, but I'm plesantly surprised so far. I can't wait to have this set in my hands :g

I believe on the other thread, someone found it was just under 50 tracks that overlapped with Affinity, which makes it even more of a no-brainer in my case. I just need to come up with the dosh now!

May I refer to post #66 in the original thread about this box.

I'll be getting this box in December with my 13th month. ^_^

May I refer to post #66 in the original thread about this box.

I'll be getting this box in December with my 13th month. ^_^

Thanks SJ.