Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

I completely don't get it....:unsure:

I'll just wait for the torrent, since that's the protocol on this board these days. Isn't it?

It's easy - David's been married about 6-7 years now, long enough for the linear logic circuits of the brain to short-circuit. This results in people hearing only what they want to hear and then turning it into something that removes them from reality as quickly as possible.

We've all been there, but with any luck at all, something shocks us out of it and we return to the logical world where we pay attention to details and regain the ability to discern nuance.

Until it happens again, which it most most certainly duz*. But that's part of the price you pay to not be lonely all the damn time, and to be happy a good portion of it.

Marriage is a trip!

* - DUZ

4081072918_45dd4f2f56.jpg

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to seriousness - I'll be getting this set as soon as I get the Chu Berry, or maybe get both at once around birthday time. Must-have sets for tenor geeks, both are, and for a good many non-such as well.

Now, we've got Hawk, we've got Chu, we've got Pres,,,when do we get a Don Byas set? That would be totally awesome.

I'm kind of glad that I got the Chu Berry set, for Chu, but as the liner notes point out in frustratng detail, the Calloway band often was in poor, half-assed shape in the recording studios. The contrast with the how the Lunceford band plays on that great Mosaic set is almost shocking, but then the Lunceford band was something else by any standard.

Back to seriousness - I'll be getting this set as soon as I get the Chu Berry, or maybe get both at once around birthday time. Must-have sets for tenor geeks, both are, and for a good many non-such as well.

Now, we've got Hawk, we've got Chu, we've got Pres,,,when do we get a Don Byas set? That would be totally awesome.

Too right, Don Byas' 40s output is fascinating, spread across a wide variety of labels and for various leaders.

A Don Byas set would be AWESOME! I asked about a Webster set, and they said almost everything has been released...

I am still waiting on a Marshal Royal set, probably a Select. There are about 4-5 Concord Records that he did and most STAYED on LP, and he did some solo stuff in the early 60s...but there is probably too low of a demand.

Another Hodges set? Mid to late 60s Verve recordings???

I ordered the Chu Berry Set sometime ago, and got curious when they would get more in. Obviously the website says Nov. 2011, but now it's getting pushed back into 2012 because of "cash flow reasons", according to Fred at Mosaic. :shrug[1]: ?!?

Well, hopefully Mosaic has a good Holiday season, and gets a little more liquid....

By the way the Buddy Rich 'single' is down to last chance. Shipping to UK on one CD is $15. Hm...

If it'll help, I have the CD, listened to it maybe once. It's non-essential. The recording quality is kinda weird and there are better live recordings of the Rich band out there.

With that said, even if I knew what I know now, and didn't have it, I'd still be tempted to get it...because you never want a Mosaic to slip by.

Aren't there any sellers in the UK that have this title for sale?

By the way the Buddy Rich 'single' is down to last chance. Shipping to UK on one CD is $15. Hm...

If it'll help, I have the CD, listened to it maybe once. It's non-essential. The recording quality is kinda weird and there are better live recordings of the Rich band out there.

With that said, even if I knew what I know now, and didn't have it, I'd still be tempted to get it...because you never want a Mosaic to slip by.

Well I looked for this on amazon uk and found a disk with the same cover and also in London. Thought it was different but I just looked back and turns out they are the same tracks in a different order. One for the ethics committee?

A Don Byas set would be AWESOME! I asked about a Webster set, and they said almost everything has been released...

I am still waiting on a Marshal Royal set, probably a Select. There are about 4-5 Concord Records that he did and most STAYED on LP, and he did some solo stuff in the early 60s...but there is probably too low of a demand.

Another Hodges set? Mid to late 60s Verve recordings???

Well, hopefully Mosaic has a good Holiday season, and gets a little more liquid....

Don't want to be the prophet of doom but:

Don Byas set. I'm afraid the Byas material is on too many labels to make this happen. It would make a great set.

Marshal Royal select. I believe Concord is part of OJC group (Prestige/Riverside etc). Don't see this happen as a Mosaic. But one never knows do one?

Johnny Hodges 60's Verve: Again this would make a great set but a lot is on Lonehill. So I don't see this happing soon.

I hope to be proven wrong.

A Don Byas set would be AWESOME!

Don Byas set. I'm afraid the Byas material is on too many labels to make this happen. It would make a great set.

Yes it would, but ... if you look at the labels (official/studio material only), starting in 1944, until 1950:

Savoy, Commodore, Jamboree, Caracol, Hub, Super Disc, Gotham, Swing, Blue Star, Spanish Columbia, Vogue, ... I don not know if some of these are labels with later issues. It fills seven pages of my old printed Bruyninckx disco ... The Vogue material alone would fill a Select or more, the Savoys were on a double LP.

A Don Byas set would be AWESOME!

Yes it would, but ... if you look at the labels (official/studio material only), starting in 1944, until 1950:

Savoy, Commodore, Jamboree, Caracol, Hub, Super Disc, Gotham, Swing, Blue Star, Spanish Columbia, Vogue, ... I don not know if some of these are labels with later issues. It fills seven pages of my old printed Bruyninckx disco ... The Vogue material alone would fill a Select or more, the Savoys were on a double LP.

The Chronological Classics series broke down as follows:

1944-45

1945 vol 2

1947-51

1951-52

1952-3

Don't know if there were later issues.

Well I looked for this on amazon uk and found a disk with the same cover and also in London. Thought it was different but I just looked back and turns out they are the same tracks in a different order. One for the ethics committee?

Are you talking about Very Alive At Ronnie Scott's? That was the original UK release, which was a 2-LP set. The CD reissue by that name is also two discs, and has more material than the Mosaic single CD. A rare case where a Mosaic actually is not complete.

Are you talking about Very Alive At Ronnie Scott's? That was the original UK release, which was a 2-LP set. The CD reissue by that name is also two discs, and has more material than the Mosaic single CD. A rare case where a Mosaic actually is not complete.

Ohhhh... Thanks. I'll check it out.

BGO have also issued it as a single CD. £9.99 gets you a copy. Rich CD

The 2LP set of this on RCA is really good - it was some of the first Rich I ever heard. Some good Pat LaBarbera and Lyn Biviano. The Rich repartee on the LPs is quite funny - not sure if the Mosaic includes that.

Edited by sidewinder

I'm seriously thinking of buying this set.

But a question based on hearing the samples.

There is considerable noise, including clicking/pops. I'm aware of course that these are from very old recordings. But I also have other old jazz and classical sets

that have had considerable noise reduction without apparently sacrificing the purity of the performances.

I also have some other Mosaic sets with less noise on old recordings.

I'd like to hear your takes on this.

Feel free to educate me!

Thanks.

Mark