Buddy Collette exotica

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

They are small labels, can't confirm if they're LA or not. Both are impossible to find. They are available as downloads if you look in the right places. I would recommend downloading both before you seek out vinyl. You will have a long wait, and they'll cost you.

In the mean time, how about spinning "Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat," one of my favorite LPs from the Crown label, featuring Buddy Collette and the Latin Jazz All Stars? ;)

i agree these both are rare. if i was in LA i might have a better shot. i WILL find them, absolute buddy collette essentials...yea ive seen the prices on polynesia....yowsers...

I was lucky. After hearing "Polynesia" several years ago on Kansas Public Radio's "Retro Cocktail Hour" show, created and hosted by Darrell Brogden, I was able to find a copy of "Polynesia" on ebay for a fraction of what has been quoted in this thread.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Trunk Records here in the UK have just issued a vinyl reissue of ‘Polynesia’. Nicely done, good sound - and currently in stock at Dusty. :)

Music + Sound were out of Arizona I think, not LA and this was likely a private (or semi private) release, hence the scarcity.

Edited by sidewinder

Side 2 of Polynesia is incredible.  The poetry sounds like the delusional, fever-dream ramblings of a shipwrecked sailor who has contracted a tropical disease.  

Which is one of the highest compliments I could possibly pay to a record. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 2 weeks later...

:o.  hey well i never tracked it down but i do have this tampa which is really this other rare one-

R-4276765-1461535838-8305.jpeg.jpg

R-1528911-1226290577.jpeg.jpg

are you kidding me, i knew bel canto made reels n such- but look at THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! this album sure got around-- even crown released it

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

wait a min look at this one

s-l1600.jpg

So bel canto was like the earlist tape companys for all the indie jazz labels

heres a DOT bel canto

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez