Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posey is catching bullpen right now and the rest of the Giants' starters are on the mend.

Now we wait and see if Brian Sabean can snag a big bat for the 2012 season.

GO Giants!

Rumors of Jose Reyes interest by the Giants. Not a big bat, but he might be a good sparkplug.

I'm curious to see what happens with C.J. Wilson. He did nothing to enhance his standing in the playoffs and World Series.

Posey is catching bullpen right now and the rest of the Giants' starters are on the mend.

GO Giants!

Rumors of Jose Reyes interest by the Giants. Not a big bat, but he might be a good sparkplug.

I'm curious to see what happens with C.J. Wilson. He did nothing to enhance his standing in the playoffs and World Series.

Don't know much about Reyes, but I'll dig around for a scouting report.

I think CJ, a fan favorite, will stay in Texas. Even though he didn't pick up a WS win, his last outing was superb, IMHO.

"Conventional wisdom" is that he wants to stay, and will stay if he can get an offer reasonably close to what the free-agency marketplace throws his way. About whether that can happen or not, ther is no conventional wisdom.

I definitely want him here, even though he's not a "true ace". He's still a damn good pitcher, and in only two years of starting has showed growth over the course of both seasons. The best may still be to come, but even if not, he's still an asset, not a liability.

What's needed is a definitive #1, and they're not really growing on trees, these days...

It will be interesting to see where Roy Oswalt lands. I'd think quite a number of teams might be interested in him if the money and duration are right. I'd love to see the Yankees bring him in and then win the Yu Darvish sweepstakes.

I'm wary of the Yu Darvish sweepstakes because of the Kei Igawa fiasco. Dice-K wasn't exactly brilliant as a Bosock either.If the Yanks can get Oswalt on a 1 or 2 year deal and if his back is OK... Buerhle may be an interesting signing, as long as it's not long-term.

Darvish is of interest to several teams...

Oswalt's back worries me. He's at the age where stuff like that doesn't just go away.

Buerhle...I could see that going either way. A change of scenery might do him good, or he might just be on the beginning of an inevitable downslide.

Really not a lot of prime pitching out there right now. It's a good time to have a good farm system with kids that are ready to step up.

In my wildest dreams, I can't imagine a scenario where MLB green lights Mark Cuban as an owner. This is as staid, crusty and uptight a bunch of blue blood suits as you're likely to run into. Allowing a square peg like Cuban into their round hole simply won't happen...ever. MLB already did Bill Veeck. There's no way they'll do him again.

Edited by Dave James

At least Cuban kept trying to get players until he fielded a winner.

Yeah....but....in the process he empowered players over coaches, enabled self-indulgence to become a work ethic, created a culture of denial, and just...

Let's just say (again) that in my experience, the idea of Mark Cuban is a lot better than the reality of Mark Cuban. He's the dad that everybody wants but nobody needs.

At least Cuban kept trying to get players until he fielded a winner. "Arrogant ass" or not, he sounds better than this creep.

Please note: Cuban has ONE Championship trophy and was given the job by his brother. He's a horse's ass.

Dennis Gilbert is the insurance version of a Ruppert Murdoch.

Either way, you're screwed.

Edited by GoodSpeak

At least Cuban kept trying to get players until he fielded a winner. "Arrogant ass" or not, he sounds better than this creep.

Well, the comments are interesting....and Estate taxes are different than "regular" taxes.

Seems to me Dennis Gilbert is exactly the kind of guy the other owners would want. He's rich like they are and he got his by helping people just like them avoid paying their fair share of taxes. A 1%'er joins a bunch of other 1%'ers. How comfy cozy can you get? Lock and load.

These people shouldn't be rich! Down with the Rich! No one should be rich! Or desire to be rich. It's wrong! We don't need rich people! Poor people or the government should give us our jobs! :rolleyes:

Edited by BERIGAN

Maybe if the richies didn't treat Americans and America as if it were disposable, if they had an iota of patriotism, and if they had a sense of responsibility for the welfare of America, poor folks wouldn't be worked into a froth over their shrinking opportunities and increasingly crappier standard of living.

GO Giants!

I think CJ, a fan favorite, will stay in Texas. Even though he didn't pick up a WS win, his last outing was superb, IMHO.

Is it possible to be a baseball fan in today's world and NOT know much about Reyes??? He is only one of the most exciting players to watch in the NL. Puleasssse.

GO Giants!

Is it possible to be a baseball fan in today's world and NOT know much about Reyes??? He is only one of the most exciting players to watch in the NL. Puleasssse.

For East Coasters, sure.

You know anything about Nate Schierholtz or Brandon Crawford or Madison Bumgarner? They're only the most exciting newcomers to the NL in years. Pul-leeeze.

Edited by GoodSpeak

GO Giants!

For East Coasters, sure.

You know anything about Nate Schierholtz or Brandon Crawford or Madison Bumgarner? They're only the most exciting newcomers to the NL in years. Pul-leeeze.

First of all, Reyes is not anywhere near a newcomer.

Secondly, it's not like you live in Bumfuck, Iowa. In SF, you do receive an extraordinarily high level of news exposure, no?

Edited by JETman

Sad news for the San Francisco Giants and those of us who watched the Alou brothers play:

"The Giants were deeply saddened to learn about the passing of former Giants outfielder Matty Alou. Matty, who was a formidable player during his career, was a lifetime .307 hitter who collected 1,777 hits over 15 seasons, six with the Giants from 1960-65. He was a two-time All-Star and won the 1966 National League batting title with a .342 average while playing for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Although he played for six different teams, Matty remained a part of the Giants family as a long time employee and will be forever linked with his brothers – Felipe and Jesus – as the first all-brother Major League outfield.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Alou Family during this difficult time."

20111103_021000_aloumug_GALLERY.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

I remember Matty quite well. He was one helluva ball player!

I was fortunate enough to see all three of the Alou brothers play for the Giants [Matty, Felipe and Jesus] at Candlestick back when they all played on the same Giants team. Great players, all of them.

Here is a link to the San Jose Mercury article:

Matty Alou dies; played on Giants and A's World Series teams

Edited by GoodSpeak