Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, sorry, not an Eephus. He releases the ball with his back to the plate, flips it in underhanded.

It comes in like an Eephus, so if that's how/why you want to call it that, cool, but by the time the guy starts his forward motion to the plate, the ball has already left his hand.

Nope, sorry, not an Eephus. He releases the ball with his back to the plate, flips it in underhanded.

It comes in like an Eephus, so if that's how/why you want to call it that, cool, but by the time the guy starts his forward motion to the plate, the ball has already left his hand.

El Duque, when he was with the Yanks, used an Eephus pitch once in a while. The ball went about 55-60 MPH with a HUGE arc. Most of the time the hitters looked foolish taking it or swinging.

It's not where you start, Jim...it's where you end up ^_^

Look again - it didn't slip out of his hand. He purposely threw it from behind, with his back turned to the plate, then followed through with a regular motion after the ball had already left his hand. Total deception!

I know- it's intentional. I was trying to determine whether it was legal if it happened in a game. I think the pitcher is one of those trick pitchers- like a gimmick- kinda like Eddie Fehner (sp), the softball pitcher.

Is that pitch even legal in America?

It's an Eephus pitch.

A gimmick, true...but legal nonetheless.

How to throw an Eephus pitch.

An Eephus pitch is thrown with a natural motion with a perceptible arc- I remember reading Rip Sewell throwing one back in the 40s- don't remember who he played for. Didn't Bill Lee throw one? I tried it a few times pitching in an adult league- kinda like throwing a slowpitch softball pitch (6-12 arc)overhand- practically impossible to throw it for a strike.

An Eephus pitch is thrown with a natural motion with a perceptible arc- I remember reading Rip Sewell throwing one back in the 40s- don't remember who he played for. Didn't Bill Lee throw one?

Did he ever. In Game 7 against Tony Perez with the Red Sox up 3-0. He threw a couple of 'em, then a 3rd. 3-2 Red Sox. :lol:

An Eephus is like a change-up except it goes maybe 10-12 feet in the air. Just like a change, you throw it with the same motion you use on a regular pitch and that's what screws up the batter's timing. At the MLB level I wouldn't want to throw more than about two of these to any one batter or fans would be looking for a souvenir someplace out on Waveland Avenue or in McCovey Cove. When I first started playing slo-pitch softball in 1974, there were no limits on the height of the arc of the ball. I could throw one maybe 20 feet in the air and still drop it behind home plate. They changed the arc rule two years later and limited the height to 12 feet from the point of release. Talk about taking the air out of my fun bag.

Enough reminiscing. Here's a video of the 1946 All-Star game that was played at Fenway Park in Boston. The Rip Sewell footage begins at about the 1:40 mark.

Never been there, so I don't know. But if you're saying that he's better prepared to handle the Texas summers than most Americans, you're making me already happier!

I've never been to either Texas or Japan, but from what I checked, Osaka's summers are hot, muggy, hot and muggier.

He'll fit right in.

I've spent Summers in Texas and Japan and I have to say Japan is much worse. Not hotter per se (and certainly nothing like this past Summer in Texas) but way more humid while being pretty hot as well. I never sweat as much as I did walking around Tokyo in July. So if this is your worry, I think he'll be OK......

Philly baseball scribe(and member of the Hall of Fame) Bill Conlin has been accused of molestation by 4 people. Unbelievable, especially in light of his recent columns blasting Jerry Sandusky.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20111220_Four_say_Philly_Daily_News_writer_Bill_Conlin_sexually_abused_them_as_children.html?c=r