Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

Marlins and Nats are spending money like 2012 is really it for Planet Earth. Do they really have the money or this is just a big gamble?

Gamble.

As I understand it, both teams play in a small market. I'm guessing that both clubs have mortgaged the future ala SF Forty-Niners to pay players now.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if Braun's protest is going to soon look like Raphael Palmeiro's finger-wagging at Congress.

Columbian District is more of a mid-sized market, according to this:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/baseball_markets.shtml

Markets of 5-10 million people

--------------------------------------------------------

7,608,070 Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals

However this fails to take into account that while Washingtonians can and have rooted for Baltimore teams (football and baseball) in the past, Baltimore natives NEVER root for Washington teams. So in a sense Baltimore has a larger market than Washington. Believe it or not. Factor in our local sports reporters and radio personalities and their outspoken contempt for baseball in general and you've got to wonder.

And Washington is not really a regional team the same way Boston is loved in much of New England and even the Maritime provinces of Canada. I remember watching Red Sox baseball in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia a few summers ago!

Edited by Neal Pomea

Like I said earlier, a chain of custody issue that MLB will do nothing about. Braun's sample had seven times the normal level of testosterone. He's going to get away with this on a technicality / loophole, but he's still guilty and everyone knows it. The guy who took the sample has done this hundreds, if not thousands of times. Don't tell me he doesn't know what he's doing and how you go about ensuring that samples are not tampered with. This is total B.S. (bullshit, not Bud Selig, although the acronyms are interchangeable).

Like I said earlier, a chain of custody issue that MLB will do nothing about. Braun's sample had seven times the normal level of testosterone. He's going to get away with this on a technicality / loophole, but he's still guilty and everyone knows it. The guy who took the sample has done this hundreds, if not thousands of times. Don't tell me he doesn't know what he's doing and how you go about ensuring that samples are not tampered with. This is total B.S. (bullshit, not Bud Selig, although the acronyms are interchangeable).

Especially since Bud used to own the Brew Crew.

Especially since Bud used to own the Brew Crew.

That's the fact, too.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Reports have surfaced that a number of MLB players are upset with developments in the Ryan Braun case. This is a guy who we now know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, took steroids and yet, because of ambiguous language in the CBA, has been fully exonerated. The question of "did he or didn't he" should not be obscured by technicalities. It's all that matters. If Bud Selig had any stones, he'd step in and do the right thing. That he doesn't and he won't makes it abundantly clear that he's nothing but a tool. I can assure you that neither Bart Giamatti or Fay Vincent would have let this stand.

I don't know what you mean by "step in". There is a CBA which prescribes how things are supposed to work. You just can't overrule CBA, unless that is permitted.

Also, the word "technicalities" is a word a person uses when he doesn't like the result. I see fellow lawyers use that all the time but if a rule or procedure isn't followed that's a breach of the rule and a contrary result, but for the violation of the rule, can't be justified.

Did Braun test positive for steroids or for HGH? Or are they the same thing? I didn't think they were, but am in no way even semi-certain about that...

Either way, it's a violation, but if there's a difference, I think it's important to keep the terminology accurate.

In the World According to Dave James, Bud Selig is the epitome of evil.

In the real world, there is a CBA, and a drug testing regime negotiated and agreed to by the parties. It includes a process for ajudicating disputes.

There is nothing Bud Selig can do. Its not up to him to 'stand for' anything.

And news flash for Dave:

There is no "good of the game" clause giving a commissioner power to dictate results.

In the real world, there is a CBA, and a drug testing regime negotiated and agreed to by the parties. It includes a process for ajudicating disputes.

And news flash for Dave:

There is no "good of the game" clause giving a commissioner power to dictate results.

But Selig does have the influence to manipulate the outcome.

Edited by GoodSpeak

And news flash for Dave:

But Selig does have the influence to manipulate the outcome.

Wow, so Bud manipulated the arbitrator into a decision that embarrasses MLB and Bud Selig.

by george I think you've solved the case!

And news flash for Dave:

Oh yeah? How about when Bowie Kuhn overturned Charlie FInley's trade of VIda Blue, Joe Rudi and Rollie FIngers? As I recall he cited the fact that such a trade was not in the best interests of the game. Is having your reigning MVP get away with taking steroids in the best interests of the game? In Dave James' world, that's a no. In Dan Gould's world, perhaps that's a yes.

Also, just to clarify, I never said Selig was the epitome of evil. I just said he was a tool, a remark by which I will gladly stand.