Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

In the World According to Dave James, Bud Selig is the epitome of evil.

In the real world, there is a CBA, and a drug testing regime negotiated and agreed to by the parties. It includes a process for ajudicating disputes.

There is nothing Bud Selig can do. Its not up to him to 'stand for' anything.

And news flash for Dave:

There is no "good of the game" clause giving a commissioner power to dictate results.

But Selig does have the influence to manipulate the outcome.

Wow, so Bud manipulated the arbitrator into a decision that embarrasses MLB and Bud Selig.

by george I think you've solved the case!

Naturally, you didn't get my point.

The "outcome" I speak of is the dismissal of the charges against Braun thus avoiding yet another and bigger embarrassment of acknowledging the post-Bonds MLB drug policy is a sham.

Secondly, the MLB cannot afford to take yet another public hit via steroids.

Quincy or one of the other knowledgeable participants will back me up. When Fay Vincent was replaced, the "best interests of the game" clause was removed from the powers of the office of Commissioner.

I'd like to see proof of that, Dan.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Washington on Yu Darvish's pretty nice two inning start against the Padres this afternoon:

"I thought he handled himself well out there. He was very aggressive. He threw some good breaking balls and had some good depth on it. He had some good sink. The most impressive thing was the play he made and the play he made over his head. I'm happy for him that he got it out of his system and now he realizes it's just baseball. That's all it is."

It's just baseball. That's all it is. Yeah, it'll rip your guts out, and yeah, there's absurd hypes and insane circuses aplenty, but at the end of the day, it's just baseball. That's all it is.

Gotta love Wash!

You have that completely wrong.

In the immortal words of Bill Shankley, the legendary Liverpool coach,

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Edited by Brad

You gonna trust a guy named Shankley?

Well, if you know anything about European football you would. In fifteen years with Liverpool he won three league championships (e.g. equivalent to today's Premier League), two FA Cups and the UEFA Cup.

I know, I know. Just never clicked with me.

Tried practicing all summer once, then took it to the links, and shot something like 136 on the front nine.

After that, hey...life is short. :g

FWIW, I can appreciate the zen-ness of it all, I really can. But I've had music for that, and may yet again.

If not, it'll be either fishing or woodwork.

Tried practicing all summer once, then took it to the links, and shot something like 136 on the front nine.

FWIW, I can appreciate the zen-ness of it all, I really can. But I've had music for that, and may yet again.

Fair enough.

Golf is a frustrating game at times. Trust me. But I still keep coming back. Love this game!

And you know why they call it Golf, don't you?

Because all the other four-letter words were taken [insert rim shot here] :g

No disrespect but I can't envision you on the links :D

Me or Jim?

Yeah, it can get pretty ugly out there sometimes. I play a lot of "hit-it-and-hope".

Here's a trivia question for you:

Who holds the record for most seasons pitched in the major leagues?

Answer here:

http://www.theglobea...article2363440/

Hint: The number is 27!

I was going to say Cy Young. I think he pitched forever.

Fair enough.

Golf is a frustrating game at times. Trust me. But I still keep coming back. Love this game!

Me or Jim?

Yeah, it can get pretty ugly out there sometimes. I play a lot of "hit-it-and-hope".

Jim!

I haven't played in years (back) but I'm no loss to the golf world (except ball manufactuers) :D

I guess since his son is also an ump, that explains part of the reason his name sounds so familiar. I wouldn't have guessed he hadn't umpired a game since 1998! No name under the pic of course, but assume that's him with his son???

If you hold your mouse over the photo, this caption appears:

Umpires Harry Wendelstedt Sr. and Larry Vanover stand on the field before a MLB game between the San Diego Padres and Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Here's a trivia question for you:

Who holds the record for most seasons pitched in the major leagues?

Answer here:

http://www.theglobea...article2363440/

Hint: The number is 27!

I was going to say Cy Young. I think he pitched forever.

Fair enough.

Me or Jim?

Jim!

I haven't played in years (back) but I'm no loss to the golf world (except ball manufactuers) :D

You and me both, Brad.

I should own stock by now.

According to reports I'm hearing, the Yankees have signed Andy Pettitte to a minor league contract. Pettitte apparently got the bug when he joined the team as a guest instructor at the Yank's spring training facility in Ft. Lauderdale. He's 39 years old, but keeps himself in great shape and has the kind of easy delivery that hasn't worn him out. Who knows? Could wind up being a smart move...or not. It's only costing them a couple of million to find out.

Only a couple million...? :mellow:

It's all relative. Remember, this is baseball. No salary cap and owners who can't get out of their own way. More importantly, it's the Yankees. At the end of the day, Brian Cashman probably scrapes that much money off the bottom of his shoes.

Edited by Dave James

Only a couple million...? :mellow:

It's all relative. Remember, this is baseball. No salary cap and owners who can't get out of their own way. More importantly, it's the Yankees. At the end of the day, Brian Cashman probably scrapes that much money off the bottom of his shoes.

Good point.

I had forgotten it was the Yankees we were talking about.