Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Thome signs with the Phillies for a year: http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111104&content_id=25915372&vkey=news_phi&c_id=phi

As does the article, I gotta wonder what his role will be.

I hope the Phillies choke on it.

Why? What can you have against them?

Goodie is pissed because Rollins had the nerve, the nerve, to steal 2nd when the Phillies were up by 6 runs in the top of the 6th in SF last summer. Supposedly there's some unwritten rule that only the SF Giants and their fans know about that says you can't steal when leading by 6 runs in the 6th inning. However, he's okay with a pitcher throwing at a batter's head and sees it as a perfectly acceptable form retaliation just as long as it's a SF pitcher doing the throwing and a non SF played getting beaned.

Who said this?.....

"No issues with an in your face stolen base and ensuing brawl with a 6 run lead late [6th inning] in the game? No problem with a classless manager putting down one of the best pitching staffs in the majors either?"

"There are few things that give me greater pleasure from watching a team of arrogant bullies LOSE to a WILD CARD team in the playoffs."

"So who you gonna steal second with a 6 run lead NOW fucking Phillies? The bastard sons of bitches got what they deserved." "Fuck Philadelphia"

Followed by on a later post about the arrogance of Nolan Ryan:

"Being a nice guy isn't a part of the employment description"

Jim Thome signs with the Phillies for a year: http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111104&content_id=25915372&vkey=news_phi&c_id=phi

Goodie is pissed because Rollins had the nerve, the nerve, to steal 2nd when the Phillies were up by 6 runs in the top of the 6th in SF last summer. Supposedly there's some unwritten rule that only the SF Giants and their fans know about that says you can't steal when leading by 6 runs in the 6th inning. However, he's okay with a pitcher throwing at a batter's head and sees it as a perfectly acceptable form retaliation just as long as it's a SF pitcher doing the throwing and a non SF played getting beaned.

Um.

Never said it was OK to throw at anyone. What I said was, Cousins needs to eat dirt each and every time he's at bat vs. the Giants. Retaliation for sliding into Posey head first and off line, is IMO completely justified to plunk the SOB....and it is and has always been a part of the game. Being OK and justified are two entirely different concepts. If it was your guy who got nailed like that you'd be plenty pissed. And what that incident has to do with the no-class Phillies is beyond me.

On point: I was pissed that their no-class manager dissed one of the best pitching staffs in the Majors in public. That steal was a total in-your-face show of disrespect for the Giants and the ensuing brawl started by the Philly players was a big bunch of bullshit, too.

They got squashed out in the playoffs and justice was served...in spades.

Look man, if you're going to get it wrong at least tell it right.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Who said this?.....

"No issues with an in your face stolen base and ensuing brawl with a 6 run lead late [6th inning] in the game? No problem with a classless manager putting down one of the best pitching staffs in the majors either?"

"There are few things that give me greater pleasure from watching a team of arrogant bullies LOSE to a WILD CARD team in the playoffs."

"So who you gonna steal second with a 6 run lead NOW fucking Phillies? The bastard sons of bitches got what they deserved." "Fuck Philadelphia"

Followed by on a later post about the arrogance of Nolan Ryan:

"Being a nice guy isn't a part of the employment description"

All out of context, Ted.

Geez. I can train a monkey to cut-and-paste like you just did. BFD.

Isn't it time for you to be in school?

Um.

Never said it was OK to throw at anyone. What I said was, Cousins needs to eat dirt each and every time he's at bat vs. the Giants. Retaliation for sliding into Posey head first and off line, is IMO completely justified to plunk the SOB....and it is and has always been a part of the game. Being OK and justified are two entirely different concepts. If it was your guy who got nailed like that you'd be plenty pissed. And what that incident has to do with the no-class Phillies is beyond me.

On point: I was pissed that their no-class manager dissed one of the best pitching staffs in the Majors in public. That steal was a total in-your-face show of disrespect for the Giants and the ensuing brawl started by the Philly players was a big bunch of bullshit, too.

If I'm going to get it wrong? Sigh. I knew I was going to regret engaging in a discussion w/ you. Okay look, you obviously need a little reminder so here it goes. The Phillies "no class manager" never "dissed" the Giants pitching staff. A reporter asked Manuel if he thought that Cain and Lincecum were great pitchers. He replied that he thought that they were "very, very, very, good" pitchers but not great. How is that a put down/"diss"?? Furthermore, the Giants manager Bruce Bochy backed up Manuel. "I guess what Charlie's point is, is longevity," Bochy said. "He's right. When you call somebody great, they've done it over quite a few years."

The brawl was instigated when the SF pitcher(Ramirez) beaned the Phillies batter(Victorino) with the next pitch and the catcher(Eli Whiteside) tossed his mask and started hopping up and down like a prize fighter at the beginning of a bout.

Squashed out of the playoffs? The Phillies lost a 5 game series 3 games to 2 following an epic pitching duel that they lost 1-0. How is that being squashed? Beaten yes, but squashed? No.

Um.

If I'm going to get it wrong? Sigh. I knew I was going to regret engaging in a discussion w/ you. Okay look, you obviously need a little reminder so here it goes. The Phillies "no class manager" never "dissed" the Giants pitching staff. A reporter asked Manuel if he thought that Cain and Lincecum were great pitchers. He replied that he thought that they were "very, very, very, good" pitchers but not great. How is that a put down/"diss"?? Furthermore, the Giants manager Bruce Bochy backed up Manuel. "I guess what Charlie's point is, is longevity," Bochy said. "He's right. When you call somebody great, they've done it over quite a few years."

The brawl was instigated when the SF pitcher(Ramirez) beaned the Phillies batter(Victorino) with the next pitch and the catcher(Eli Whiteside) tossed his mask and started hopping up and down like a prize fighter at the beginning of a bout.

Squashed out of the playoffs? The Phillies lost a 5 game series 3 games to 2 following an epic pitching duel that they lost 1-0. How is that being squashed? Beaten yes, but squashed? No.

No.

The incident started with a clearly designed in-your-face steal with a six run lead against a team with the worst offense in MLB. It was a no-class play called by a no-class manager who said way more than you are posting regarding the Giants' pitching staff.

And so far as I know, the Phillies weren't in the WS, so they were squashed out; note I did not say soundly defeated or whipped.

That facts back me up so you can misremember it all you like...just attribute what I actually said and not leave out half of it to make your claim. Fair?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Um.

No.

The incident started with a clearly designed in-your-face steal with a six run lead against a team with the worst offense in MLB. It was a no-class play called by a no-class manager who said way more than you are posting regarding the Giants' pitching staff.

And so far as I know, the Phillies weren't in the WS, so they were squashed out; note I did not say soundly defeated or whipped.

That facts back me up so you can misremember it all you like...just attribute what I actually said and not leave out half of it to make your claim. Fair?

Hey Goodspeak- you ever play the game? I have. I pitched- and been on both sides of a lopsided score. Someone steals a base with a 6 run lead- you know how to stop it? Throw the guy out. Better yet- keep runners off the bases- can't steal if you're not on base. It's quite simple. So what if someone disses the pitching staff? Is it true? If not- so what? You beat them on the field.

Wow...Washington Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos was kidnapped Wednesday in his native Venezuela.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-11-09/wilson-ramos-kidnapped-outside-home-in-venezuela-washington-nationals#ixzz1dGMxvD4Z

That is some scary stuff and it appears that it's not an isolated incident either. IIRC, another player had some family members kidnapped in Venezuela.

Um.

No.

Hey Goodspeak- you ever play the game? I have. I pitched- and been on both sides of a lopsided score. Someone steals a base with a 6 run lead- you know how to stop it? Throw the guy out. Better yet- keep runners off the bases- can't steal if you're not on base. It's quite simple. So what if someone disses the pitching staff? Is it true? If not- so what? You beat them on the field.

Obviously he hasn't or the "dear boy" would know that there's no crying in baseball.

I'm a HS umpire for girls fastpitch softball and also umpire a fair amount of baseball. I've been involved in many lopsides games- and I don't recall a team complaining about a steal when losing big. I hear more from the parents and fans- they're the ones who get all indignant and flustered when it occurs. Parents and fans are my biggest problem when umpiring. Coaches and players aren't- because they know the game and realize they can win big or lose big in any given night.

I'm a HS umpire for girls fastpitch softball and also umpire a fair amount of baseball. I've been involved in many lopsides games- and I don't recall a team complaining about a steal when losing big. I hear more from the parents and fans- they're the ones who get all indignant and flustered when it occurs. Parents and fans are my biggest problem when umpiring. Coaches and players aren't- because they know the game and realize they can win big or lose big in any given night.

In today's game of mediocre pitching, you can never have enough runs. Although stealing with a big lead was frowned upon years ago, today's baseball mores have changed.

Um.

No.

In a perfect world, I suppose that's true.

But with a rival team who got their asses kicked by the Giants in the previous play-offs, that steal was total crap. It was clearly designed to piss off the Giants players. How anyone can't see that is hard for me to imagine.

Phillies are a no-class team with a no-class manager.

In today's game of mediocre pitching, you can never have enough runs. Although stealing with a big lead was frowned upon years ago, today's baseball mores have changed.

Stealing a base with a big lead late in the game is still frowned upon.

You just did a flip-flop on this topic. Mediocre pitching...proof? Mores? Do you watch the game?

Rather typical for Brad.

Edited by GoodSpeak

You just did a flip-flop on this topic. Mediocre pitching...proof? Mores? Do you watch the game?

Rather typical for Brad.

Your posts are also amusing but typical. I don't know you in real life and perhaps you're a very nice person but on the baseball threads you come off rather boorish.

Oh no. I really hope this isn't true. Too much money, too many years, and from what I hear too much trouble.

I didn't hear the fine print but I did hear that he had signed with the Phillies.

Rather typical for Brad.

Your posts are also amusing but typical. I don't know you in real life and perhaps you're a very nice person but on the baseball threads you come off rather boorish.

This from Mr. Insult. Captain of the Olympic I-don't-know-what-I'm-talking-about Team.

Sadly typical, Brad.

Oh no. I really hope this isn't true. Too much money, too many years, and from what I hear too much trouble.

I didn't hear the fine print but I did hear that he had signed with the Phillies.

Hear fine print...?

Sure. And I'm the idiot.

Edited by GoodSpeak